Okay - Here's REAL POTDC News - New Director

JMPrater

Reaction score
Taken From http://www.if.com.au/2008/10/13/article/Offset-granted-to-Dark-Crystal-sequel/YSYJIRPXNW.html

[Offset granted to $40m Dark Crystal sequel]

[Mon 13/10/2008 03:44:19]

By Simon de Bruyn

[Screen Australia has issued a provisional Producer Offset certificate to Omnilab Media for its $40m budgeted sequel to the 1982 fantasy classic The Dark Crystal, which the company is currently developing.

While based on a story by Jim Henson, the film will be shot in Australia with an Australian director and crew, and is currently in development with Australian writers. Omnilab own the rights to the project.

It appears the film has passed the crucial Significant Australian Content test, required to access the Offset – less than six months after a similar property, George Miller’s Justice League, was knocked back based on the same tests.

The content test is a case-by-case analysis which covers a film's subject matter, details of production expenditure, where it is made, the nationalities and places of residence of the producer, director, and other key creatives.

As previously reported, Gabriel director Shane Abbess was attached to a Dark Crystal project but further details weren’t known. INSIDEFILM now understands this was the Omnilab project, but that Abbess has since departed. The project is a reboot of the previously slated CGI sequel Power of the Dark Crystal, which was announced back in 2005, but is now being planned as a hybrid of CGI and live action.

The Dark Crystal sequel will have the Henson family stamp of approval, with the Jim Henson Creature Shop reportedly visiting Sydney in July. The Jim Henson Company has previously worked with Australian producers, shooting its science fiction series Farscape here.

Alex Sangston, head of Producer Offset and Co-productions at Screen Australia told INSIDEFILM the agency couldn’t provide any information on any projects which have been issued with provisional or final certificates for the Producer Offset due to taxation privacy laws.

Omnilab is expected to attach a new Australian director in a matter of weeks.]

So, Genndy Tartakovsky is off this film and it's now in new hands. It appears they will still be utilizing CGI backgrounds and animatronic puppets. It's still quite tiresome and upsetting that this information isn't being released to the public in an organized way. I've all but lost interest on this film. It's interesting to note that the film's budget is an estimated 40 million dollars. That seems sufficient enough. Time will tell.

Luke

Reaction score
OK budget but its dissapointing to see it looks like the Henson's have licensed the rights off to Omnilab. I don't know what they have done before, maybe great stuff but i kinda thought a DC sequel should have been treated better if it was gonna do the original justice.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I heartily agree Luke. It's like they've sold their legacy down the river. Why couldn't Brian Henson direct this picture? What happened with Genndy? Now, it appears that, based on the article that Jim Henson's Creature Shop won't be visiting the Australian studios until July? Is this a mistake? Could he have meant July of this year or is he talking about July of next year.

Luke

Reaction score
Surely that budget must be wrong. 40 million aus would be over 53 million usd. That dwarfs anything ever done for the Muppets, Mirrormask, even big CGI films like Hoodwinked or Toy Story. It's very suprising for some Australian produced indie film. Maybe its 4 Million like Mirrormask. If it is correct then impressive - should be able to come up with some amazing effects with that kinda money, whatever it ends up quality/story like

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It appears to me it is getting a healthy budget; one that is huge for a Henson-related film and much smaller for most special effects Hollywood fare. Shooting in Australia helps with the budget. It also appears this studio was working with a top project before this (that failed due to too many superheroes in it and lack of fan interest). Farscape was shot there so these aren't just some guys who will be manhandling the property. Brian Henson appears to have an established working relationship with them. Australia and New Zeland are the overseas Hollywoods these days. :zany:

As for the effects, Jim Henson was using a lot of composited environments in his work during his last few years. He might have considered going this way with a fantasy film (probably not DC related). Filmmaking has changed so much even in the past few years and certainly in the decades since the original Dark Crystal. The confirmation of puppetry here makes me happy. Popular as Tartakovsky is in some circles it appeared that he would have used more CGI. :scary:

I don't know what to think yet. This is likely slated for a shoot mid-late next year, yet appears to be in a healthy pre-production phase...finally! This means two or more years before release. I am inclined to think it will hit theaters sometime around early-mid 2011. I am willing to give it a chance. It would be nice for Henson Co to clue us in a little better. Maybe they will once the ball starts rolling. Their initial press statement was premature and they are likely to play it safer this time around. :wisdom:

I'm froggin' happy to hear something! I will have faith in this new approach unless hearing otherwise. That’s just my nature.

MGCJerry

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what I think about this. If anything though, it is news and it looks like its one step closer to being reality. :smile: As mentioned, I'm relieved that they are not doing this as all CGI.

Regardless, Id still would like to see it.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I've been corresponding with the writer of the article and it appears that Jim Henson's Creature Shop had visited Australia this past July. It appears that everything is rolling on track and Power of the Dark Crystal will still be released next year, under a new director.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I've been corresponding with the writer of the article and it appears that Jim Henson's Creature Shop had visited Australia this past July. It appears that everything is rolling on track and Power of the Dark Crystal will still be released next year, under a new director.
Good find Prats... howd you come across the original article?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:coy: Woohoo! :scary:

I could not be happier. No matter what I will be first in line for a ticket, but I also hope it lives up to Henson, Oz' and Froud's legacy.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I found it through IMDB's POTDC page. Some one posted a link to the article. It's just a shame that Henson isn't on the ball enough to break this kind of news on their own.

At any rate, I'm happy to be in a positive place in regards to this sequel once again.