New Spiderman on MTV

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:smile: Has anyone checked out the new Spiderman cartoon on MTV? What are your thoughts? I'm not a big fan of 3D taking over traditional animation, but this is a very interesting direction. There are still some issues with character stiffness and lack of expressiveness, but the beautiful visuals make up for it. I've only seen a handful of episodes, but I encourage you to watch it. Good stuff.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
When is it on? Of course, I don't have cable, but my friends do.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Think it's on tonight at 10 or so. They had a block of shows on last night at 1 AM. MTV.com should have more detailed info. It also has some cool imagery from the show. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Groovy. Call me and remind me to watch it.

Oh, wait...you can't.

nevermind. I just need a personal secretary.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I agree on cgi trying to look like traditional animation, but there are some advantages. It's easier to A. create dramatic lighting and 2. move the camera around during action squences.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's what I like about the show. I just don't like the new trend for animation companies to scrap traditional animation. Spiderman has used 3D very well. I approve of what they're doing in that case, The final product is rather striking. I'm fairly well informed of 3D and traditional animation techniqes. I've been instructed in both myself. I find it silly that studio executives think one is better than the other. They are simply different artforms with different strengths.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
They are simply different artforms with different strengths.
Again, I agree. I'm an art major and I know of the things that one art form is more capable of then the other and vise versa. I just sometimes wonder what's the point of using outlines and stylised shading to make 3D animation look more like traditional.

This tread's starting to get off topic. I like the show. Let's stick to that.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think it's a good show, it was a little stiff looking, but it seemed pretty good to me...in the 5 minutes of what I had the chance to see.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I attended a panel discussion with Brian Michael Bendis (the writer of Ultimate Spiderman) over the weekend at the Canadian Comic Expo and he discussed the series. I believe he wrote the pilot and was a consultant on the first season. He had a lot of good things to say about the series. I haven't seen it yet, but I understand it will be debuting here (Canada) on YTV very soon.