Museum of TV and Radio: Return Trip

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Well, I had to go down south for something, and so spent one day at the Museum of Television and Radio. Here's what I saw:

-Wheel of Fortune (a 1976 episode, with Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford) This was a championship semi-finals episode (meaning some of the best players were on), but I could still solve the puzzles before any of the contestants could...:wink:

-Sesame Street (#1186; first appearance of Barkley the Dog) This one had some really great stuff: a Billy Jo Jive cartoon, the "Disco D" segment, and lots more...and another of those two-sponsor episodes :frown:

-Jeopardy! (2000th episode from the Art Fleming run) Like with the first program, I saw this mainly out of curiosity...Mel Brooks made a surprise appearance, as the Two-Thousand-Year-Old Man, and he sure was funny. (Art: "Did you have Jeopardy! 2,000 years ago?" Mel: "Sure we did! You leave the cave...jeopardy!" Art: "Were there prizes?" Mel: "Your life was your prize." Art: "Were there Daily Doubles?" Mel: "Sure. A married couple gets back safe, that was a Daily Double.")

-The Jim Henson Hour (Bobby McFerrin / "Miss Piggy's Hollywood") I really liked this. It was a nice peek at what could have been if Jim Henson hadn't died. Also, it proves what we all know...Miss Piggy = ratings go through the roof. :wink: Also, I laughed at the mention of Bean Bunny and sex in the same sentence: "(whatever), (whatever), and sex...well, maybe a little sex...but all of it starring Bean Bunny!"

-Muppet commercials (Wilkins Coffee, La Choy, Purina, etc.) These were pretty good, I must say...and it's interesting that Jim did nearly all the puppet voices back then. However, I did discover some very weird ones in these compilations. First of all, a Chase-Manhattan Bank ad, in SPANISH, with puppets and voices that looked and sounded very un-Henson. Why is that? Also, some toilet paper ads that were obviously Henson, but didn't use Muppets...instead, they had a "walking" hand (done using the black-background effect).

-Tales of the Tinkerdee. This was pretty good, actually, though it was rather primitive (the humor hadn't fully developed yet, but I could see that it was developing just the same). Ever notice that Princess Gwendolinda looks like she came out of the Land of Gorch? Seriously, she looks very similar to Vazh!

Well, that was it...

Ryan

Reaction score
Wow...you hve a Homestar avatar..you rule..

Coach Z:" Yo, yo! Y'all tryin' ta phase me!!"
Strong:" No, sorry, I wasn't trying to phase you..I don't know who 'dose guys was.." :big_grin: