Muppets Appearing in One Direction Live Stream Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really fail to see how more publicity for the muppets is a bad thing, even if they are with bleh artists. It at least reaches them out to a wider audience.

DrTooth is right. The muppet fandom really is becoming the next Sonic fandom where we nitpick over every freaking thing.
As much as I hate One Direction, I could care less. If we want the next movie to be successful (therefore proving the franchise is successful, apparently one movie doesn't do it anymore), Disney is going to have to do some serious publicity. And that's going to be with crap popular celebrities we don't like because we're too old to like the sort of thing they do.

And yes, we're becoming that unpleasable fanbase that can't stop complaining about how awful DVD covers are because they aren't Drew Wazzisname commissions, how Disney has the audacity to release 2 movies on Blu-Ray for the price of 1 (oh, automatically Great Muppet Caper isn't so special? They literally gave out MTM in cereal boxes and we were happy about it), or how Lady Gaga has the sheer unmitigated gall to want to do a special with the Muppets, rather than somehow reanimating Frank Sinatra and the 2 dead Beatles and making them do one.

I remember back in the 2002 era where we were happy to see Muppet Candy Canes, Muppet antenna toppers (which were just flat pictures of their heads in foam), and air fresheners. Remember how excited we used to be about freaking air fresheners? Now, if we don't get something that outdoes the Palisades line, it's the worst thing ever and an insult. :rolleyes:

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
To try to put it more plainly and simply, I think these concert specials, year after year, have gotten old and tiring, and as muppetperson previously pointed out (both sarcastically, and seriously), it WOULD be nice to see the Muppets being included in different shows or specials for a change.
I don’t know if it’s a sign of the times and there are already too many of these concert specials (and movies), but yeah, I see your side of it. More to the point, I couldn’t care less about One Direction, so, at the very least, I won’t be watching any of this unless a YouTube user decides to upload an excerpt featuring the Muppets.

DrTooth is right. The muppet fandom really is becoming the next Sonic fandom where we nitpick over every freaking thing.
I honestly don’t think the Muppet fandom is anywhere near as fussy as most fan-bases can be. I myself like being analytical about certain things, though I try not to be negative or hold every Muppet project to a gold standard (maybe it’s easier for me because I was born in 1991, but I don’t know).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I honestly don’t think the Muppet fandom is anywhere near as fussy as most fan-bases can be. I myself like being analytical about certain things, though I try not to be negative or hold every Muppet project to a gold standard (maybe it’s easier for me because I was born in 1991, but I don’t know).
Its one thing to hold something to a standard, it's another thing to whine and cry and complain over a poster and act like its the end of the world.

I try to keep my opinions to myself because god forbid I defend a shoddy looking poster and say its not a big deal, or question why people are complaining that they are getting two movies for the price of one. I don't get why the MTI/GMC combo pack is so offensive and revolting yet all I see in that thread is complain complain complain.

And with the Lady Gaga special. Again, all I see are complaints about it. Some people aren't but the majority are. We haven't even seen the special and people are acting likes its the end of the world because god forbid a muppet fan (Lady Gaga) wants to work with the muppets and you personally don't like them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, I think many people's problem with Lady Gaga is that she hasn't necessarily maintained a "squeaky clean" image ever since she's been a part of mainstream media, and there have been occasions where tabloids and such ended up with pics of her doing some hard partying, acting out at parties, getting kinky with other women, etc., whereas the Muppets, even when they get edgy, have always been acceptable for all audiences, so I think for some people, the idea of the Muppets associating with someone like that would hurt their reputation as being a family-friendly franchise.

Heck, remember when Ricky Gervais was announced to be the human lead in MMW, people were upset over the Muppets being associated with an atheistic actor who does mostly R-rated comedies. Yeah, Muppets are kid-friendly, but that doesn't mean their squeaky-clean, watered-down, preschool entertainment.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Again, I think many people's problem with Lady Gaga is that she hasn't necessarily maintained a "squeaky clean" image ever since she's been a part of mainstream media, and there have been occasions where tabloids and such ended up with pics of her doing some hard partying, acting out at parties, getting kinky with other women, etc., whereas the Muppets, even when they get edgy, have always been acceptable for all audiences, so I think for some people, the idea of the Muppets associating with someone like that would hurt their reputation as being a family-friendly franchise.

Heck, remember when Ricky Gervais was announced to be the human lead in MMW, people were upset over the Muppets being associated with an atheistic actor who does mostly R-rated comedies. Yeah, Muppets are kid-friendly, but that doesn't mean their squeaky-clean, watered-down, preschool entertainment.
Again, I really fail to see how that's a big deal. That's like saying people can't branch out and do something more family friendly. By that logic, actors who do both adult and family movies, like Eddie Murphy, shouldn't be allowed to do family films.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It does seem like a double-standard, yes: apparently, it's okay for some people like Eddie Murphy, Bruce Willis, Dwayne Johnson, among others doing kid movies at some point in their career, but it's somehow not okay to associate the Muppets with certain celebrities who are not known for being kid-friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.