Muppet DVD "Easter Eggs"

Dearth

Reaction score
Hi ho,

I was browsing Muppet websites online yesterday and came across a reference to two 'Easter eggs' on the DVD of It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

It didn't give specific directions on how to find them, but they weren't too hard to locate once I was looking.

These are additional deleted scenes, one with Bill Barretta and Kirk Thatcher and the other with William H. Macy.

So now I am wondering if there are any other Muppet DVD's with hidden bonuses?

I did a search of the forums here, but all I got was a post about actual Easter eggs with the Sesame Street characters on them.

Can anyone direct me to a compiled listing of the DVD Easter Eggs of the other Muppet titles?

Or just mention any that you know of, here in this thread.

Let's go on an Easter Egg hunt, Muppet-style.

Dearth

Super Scooter

Reaction score
A quick list:

Fraggle Rock Season 3
Fraggle Rock Season 4 (I think)
Sesame Street Old Scool Volumes 1 and 2
Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days
Dinosaurs, both DVD sets feature "Dino Eggs"

I believe that's all... for now.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Good to know. Great thread idea! I think I've seen most of these Easter eggs on the DVDs, but there may be some here I will need to check out.:smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
The original Best of The Muppet Show dvd's from Time Life (the three per disc TMS dvds that came out before Disney's season box sets) all had easter eggs where highlighting Animal on the main menu would take you to an original design sketch for a Muppet character.

Many of the Farscape dvds had easter eggs as well...the very first one was on the original dvd for episodes 15/16 during "Durka Returns" where clicking on an icon that popped up during the episode took you to an interview clip of Gigi Edgely being shown the Chiana action figure. The Starburst editions had them too (and they were well hidden and not even as known about within the Farscape fan community) but the latest Complete Series/Season Box sets that came out last year doesn't have any nor does Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars. I don't have a complete list of all the Farscape dvd Easter Eggs but i can work on with if there's a huge interest.

Dearth

Reaction score
I did some more digging online and there is a THIRD Easter Egg on the "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" DVD.

I was thinking that I was probably the last person to know about these, since I only recently bought this movie for the first time. But judging from the responses, there were others who don't know they're there.

So I'm gonna go ahead and put instructions in this thread on how to find such unadvertised gems. Everyone else feel free to post their tips on how to find others.

To preface, I don't know if there are different versions of "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" available. [In fact, I would love to know if there is a version that is widescreen instead of the tv ratio? Judging from the bloopers, it was originally shot wider than regular television, so why wasn't the DVD allowed a more theatrical ratio?]

Anyway, my copy is in a light green case, labelled Special Edition at the top of the front cover.

The Easter Eggs:

1) Kirk Thatcher / Bill Barretta "Another Deleted Scene"

This one is the quickest to find. On the main menu, highlight Scene Selections and then hit your up-arrow. The word "Merry" in the title will highlight. Hit enter, and you will see a scene where Bill Barretta cameos as a reporter discussing Pepe's escape from Bitterman Correctional Facility in the alternate Kermitless world. Director Kirk Thatcher plays a guard who steals the scene.

2) William H. Macy "One More Deleted Scene"

Go into Special Features, and it should automatically have Inside Pepe's Studio highlighted. Hit your up-arrow and three holly-berries next to the word "Special" should light up. Hit enter to see an alternate ending with Glenn the angel (William H. Macy) telling other angels how Daniel's example has inspired a new fast-track for emergency cases.

3) "Kermit Gets His Star on The Hollywood Walk Of Fame"

From the Special Features page, go to Muppet Biographies. It should automatically have Kermit the Frog highlighted. Hit your left-arrow and Miss Piggy's ring will light up. Hit enter for a great video of Kermit receiving his star in Hollywood. David Arquette attended in a Kermit-green suit, and Sweetums can be glimpsed in the crowd. Kermit has lovely things to say about fellow star-recipients Edgar Bergen and Jim Henson, as well as a perfect quote from The Muppet Movie.

Dearth

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The Fraggle Rock ones, or at least the ones I know of, are found by clicking on the character on the menu. Sorry if that was too vague or anything. :embarrassed:

Dearth

Reaction score
On the Dinosaurs DVD boxed sets, the Easter Eggs are called Dino-Eggs. Here's a handy guide, slightly edited from what can be found on the Muppet Wiki...

Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons

Disc 1

On the main menu, select the giant egg "O" in the Dinosaurs logo and press enter to see a Dino-Eggs introduction by Brian Henson.

On the main menu, highlight "Bonus Features" and press left to see Bill Barretta using an Earl maquette to describe what it was like being inside the Earl Sinclair costume.

On the set-up menu, highlight "Creating Dinosaurs: The Sketches That Started It All" and press left to see producer Michael Jacobs stating how the Dinosaurs characters' names all came from oil companies. (I hate when people explain jokes that I already got.)

Disc 2

On the set-up menu, highlight "Main Menu" and press right to see an archival "Ask Earl" clip entitled "What's your favorite kind of dinosaur?"

On the episode selection menu, highlight "Episode 5" and press down to see Bill Barretta and Allan Trautman (puppeteer for Fran) talking about animatronics.

Disc 3

On the main menu, highlight "Set-Up" and press down to see another archival "Ask Earl" clip entitled "What's the message behind 'Dinosaurs'?"

On the set-up menu, highlight "Main Menu" and press left to see Bill Barretta and Allan Trautman pulling your leg about how to find another Easter Egg.

On the episode selection menu, highlight "Episode 12" and press down to see Bill Barretta explaining how the surprisingly large Baby Sinclair puppet worked.

Disc 4

On the set-up menu, highlight "English for the Hearing Impaired" and press left to see Bill Barretta sharing a scrapbook album of his personal behind-the-scenes photos.

On the episode selection menu, highlight either "Episode 21" or "Episode 22" and press up to see Peter Brooke (Creature Shop supervisor) discuss the Dinosaurs' middle names.

Complete 3rd and 4th Seasons

Disc 4

On the main menu, highlight "Set Up" and press left to see an archival ad for the premiere of Dinosaurs on TGIF.

On the main menu, highlight "Set Up" and press right to see another archival ad for the premiere of Dinosaurs, called "Earl and Fran Sinclair on Pre-marital Sex".

On the bonus features menu, highlight "I'm the Baby, Gotta Love Me" and press left to see a home video montage of the body actors behind the scenes.

On the bonus features menu, highlight "Audio Commentary for Episode: Into the Woods" and click right to see Brian Henson talk about the self-destructive nature of foam latex.

On the bonus features menu, highlight "Creatures with a Cause: The Issues of Dinosaurs" and click right to see Kevin Clash talk about when he first met Jim Henson.

If you find any additional ones, let it be known!

Dearth

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
After a computer malfunction on my mom's laptop, I noticed something highlighted on the menu of the TMS Season 1 disk with the Twiggy episode. (After the new movie announcement, I had to show her who Uncle Deadly was...:scary:) I didn't click on it at the time but I'll try to figure out how to get back to it and see what it was.