Muppet Babies Questions

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
LOOK! AN ARTICLE!!?

I FINALLY saw Kermit's Swamp Years last night.

Cute. The addition of YOUNG Statler and Waldorf (same puppets from MCC?) was a fun joke, including the addition of "Young Jim Henson" helping Kermit up off the ground in Leland, MS. I like the little fan tidbits they put throughout. Was a little stretched out in some parts, but over all I thought it was a cute, fun little film.

While watching it, I do feel that it COULD fit into the Muppets' History from Kermit's angle. It's not really even the Muppets' history as much as his own. The thing with Young Jim throws Kermit's supposed age of 30-something out of whack, and adding Statler and Waldorf was a stretch (why would THEY be in Leland MS??). Otherwise, it all still worked out okay.

Back to Muppet Babies, I developed this theory to "TRY" to fit it into the scheme of the Muppet History, and I'm still not pleased.

At MFest they had a list of Kermits drawn out from birth to old age. There was MB Kermit. I'm supposing then that somewhere CLOSE to Leland, MS, there was a nursery, run by a Nanny, and during the infancy years the MB were there--together--hence the addition of the cartoon and the addition of the live footage Scooter shows in MFC. As they got a little older, they got seperated back their homes because they didn't need a Nanny anymore, the Muppet's parents moved to different parts of the country, and they kind of forgot about one another. But FATE brings them all back together in their trek to Hollywood in TMM.

By the time of MTM, Miss Piggy might have forgotten all about their childhood together (as she was NOW a diva) and subconsciously remembered in her 'fantasy.'

Why am I still not pleased with this story?

TMM=everyone meets for the first time. The first film, Jim was there, and it HAS to be considered the true story of the Muppets, even if it was "sort of approximately how it happened." It allows the above theory of the MB to exist in the Muppet world but thus excludes the story of MTM because according to that movie, they all met in college, which kind of gives lee-way toward the 'sort of approximately how it happened' line that Kermit delivers in TMM.

If so, the chronology would be such that we would follow the formula:
MB, KSY, TMTM (they all go back to their respective homes after college and their Broadway show, do some other things, lose touch), TMM (which describes their story prior to TMS), and then TMS, followed by MFC and MFS (Gonzo's story and where the heck Frackles really come from). The GMCaper would fit in there as just a "movie" by the Muppets rather than a part of their history, which they sing about with "Hey! A Movie!", as would the films MCC and MTI (since they don't even play themselves). I know it's hated, but after the chronology of the Muppet's story, MFS would follow MFC.

So, what's wrong with this historical chronology? Well, at the end of TMTM it was scripted in that Kermit and Piggy get married after graduating college, which Kermit to this day denies as reality (and I believe the Frog), so that would have put them married throughout TMS, but the "idea" of their scripted-marriage could be the lead-in to the reason Piggy is so caught up on Kermit: she has had a crush on him since the nursery days, lost contact until college, then the trek from college back to their respective homes and then to Hollywood, then throughout the Muppet Show years until now.

I know the actual release dates of the movies and shows as I've listed it are not in actual order, but based on trying to fit MB into the perspective of everything I have to figure that they make movies, then go back and tell a part of the story that was left out. Kind of like Episode 1 Star Wars follows Episode 6, see?

Now, about the Swamp Years. Leland MS has no swamp listed to it on the maps. The closest to it would be near the Mississippi River in Greenville, which, if memory serves correct, is where Jim was born. If that's the case, a LOT of truth has to be noticed in Swamp Years as they swam wasn't IN Leland, the little frogs had to travel quite a distance to get there, perhaps leaving from the "swamps" near the river and going east to Leland.

Anyways, as you can see, I think WAY on yonder too deeply about stuff like continuity, and I'm still TRYING to make the stories all work together so I can fit in MB. But, MAN, is it hard! Takes a lot out of a little bear like myself.

FOZ

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
But then again, Janice was on the show, older than the rest of thecharacters, and Statler and Waldorf LOVED the kids, so something is going on there!
I think the Electric Mayhem band members are supposed to be 20-40 somethings in age, right? I never saw the ep with Janice on there, but was she the same age as the others or older?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am not so sure. One of the Members told me about it, and apparently, she was a little older. She pretended she could read, and threw in little things like rock concerts.. that's all I can remember at the moment.

Fireimps87

Reaction score
I remember seeing Dr.Teeth on there. He wasnt in cartoon form, but a clip from the Muppet Show making it seem like he was talking to one of the Muppet Babies.