Mr. Hooper death episode

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Yes, Big Bird does get Mr. Hooper's name right these days. When I was 25 I saw an episode where someone saw Big Bird's picture of Mr. Hooper and wanted to buy it. Of course, Big Bird didn't want to sell it. He told this man about Mr. Hooper and one of the things he said was, "I was always getting his name wrong, but he never got mad!" Hearing about Mr. Hooper only made the man want to buy the picture more. In the end a comprimise was reached. Big Bird drew another picture of Mr. Hooper and sold that instead.

Censored

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
That's funny. I thought Big Bird was 'dumber' in season 1. Well, I guess I wasn't born then, so I wouldn't know. Lol.

I've noticed he usually gets the name right now. Most of the time he says "Hooper's Store" instead of "Looper's Store" or "Blooper's Store" or whatever.

Big Bird really could be considered "dumber" in season 1 since he was supposed to be just a big adult bird who couldn't do anything right. It was just that the running gag of getting Mr. Hooper's name wrong had not yet been established.

maxdrive

Reaction score
int he show did a reletive take over hoppers afte rmr hooper died i seem remeber seeing a younger guy running it and they would call him mr hooper too or somthing like that who ran the store before allan

Censored

Reaction score
maxdrive said:
int he show did a reletive take over hoppers afte rmr hooper died i seem remeber seeing a younger guy running it and they would call him mr hooper too or somthing like that who ran the store before allan

No one played Mr. Hooper except Will Lee. Others who ran Hooper's store while he was alive were Tom and David. After Mr. Hooper's death, David inherited the store, assisted by Gina and sometimes Petey. After David, there were two actors playing Mr. Hanford and then came Alan. Occasionally, a muppet may have been seen running the store as well.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Others who ran the store

Among the Muppets who ran the store:

Oscar, who Mr. Hooper convinced to mind the store with the allure of four large trash cans inside the store. But when Hooper returned, Oscar had taken most of the garbage out of the cans and "decorated" the store with it. For example, large sheets of dirty brown paper served as the "curtains". Needless to say, Hooper was quite angry with Oscar, and made Oscar take all the trash back with him to his place (some punishment that was, Oscar was only too happy to do it).

On another occasion, Oscar was manning the window by the newsstand where a group of 5 kids were intending to get ice cream. A number 5 was superimposed over an upper corner of the screen, the number of ice cream cones Oscar had to remember to prepare. Then Gordon (Robinson) came and pulled one of the girls away, changing the number to 4. Kids kept coming and going, and the number onscreen kept changing. When the number was once again 5, Oscar bellowed, "There's the 5 (onscreen), back again. Sigh... why don't you make up your mind."

A few seasons later, Cookie Monster minded the store. This was where Mr. Hooper made him promise not to eat from a large glass cookie jar on a shelf. Of course when Hooper returned, CM had consumed all other edibles in the store, as well as everything non-food that wasn't nailed down! He then helped himself to the cookies "for dessert". They gave CM a hammer to help rebuild the store -- CM attempted to eat the hammer before the adults stopped him.

Another time, Luis was nitpicking at Tom's doings in the store, and Tom was somehow complaining about Luis' Fix-it Shop work. The old "if you think you can do better, YOU do it" ensued, so Luis and Tom switched jobs for the day. I'm not sure how Luis made a mess of things while working Hooper's store, though I vaguely seem to recall he burned the toast. As for Tom in the Fix-it Shop, Big Bird came in with an antique wall clock that wasn't chiming. Tom reached his hand behind the clock's works, said "ah, I feel it (what's malfunctioning)", and summarily repaired the chiming mechanism -- or did he? To test it out, me moved the hands to 12:00, and Big Bird counted 12 chimes. Only problem is, it did not stop at 12, it just kept going. BB sadly said something like "Is it 13:00, 14:00 or even, 200 o'clock? You've ruined my clock!" Luis and Tom decided that it was best to stick to one's own trade.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Who is Tom anyway? When did he work at the store? Though I do remember I used to have a golden book where some Muppet named Felix was working at Hooper's. I don't know what was up with that.

reevefan

Reaction score
I would like a copy of that too!

Could someone please help me get a copy of that show too? I used to have the book all about that but my 2 nieces tore up the book and left it out in the backyard in the rain... Boy was I mad! :mad:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
tom was only on for 1 season. 1971-1972. David also came on about that same time. i don't know what he did but obviouslt took over after Tom left. i myelf wasn't around at that time.