Movie Script: Kermit, Prince of Denmark

Kye

Reaction score
Ok, I just found out that the creators of Avenue Q wrote a full lenght new muppet movie(musical) called" Kermit, prince of denmark". Does anyone have any information on this! If this has been posted before, then I am sorry!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Marx and Lopez wrote the musical "Kermit, Prince of Denmark" prior to Avenue Q I believe. They wrote it as a spec script (it wasn't actually commissioned by the JHC) and they won a Kleban Award - which celebrates excellence in musical theatre writing - and tried to pitch it to Henson. That's how they eventually got hooked up with Rick Lyon et al for Avenue Q.

*BTW, just a note to any aspiring Muppet fan writers who might read this and want to start trying to pitch Henson movie ideas, unfortunately you usually have to have an agent or know someone in the `biz to submit spec scripts; without that no studio will even read your work no matter how good it is. :frown:

Kye

Reaction score
Any word on if Henson entertained the Idea? If it won an award they might just give it a read!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think probably one of the only reasons they got to pitch was because they won the Kleban, which is a big deal. It's a $100,000 cash prize and very prestigeous. There's been no official indication that the Muppet-powers-that-be are planning to go ahead with it, but since Marx and Lopez's names are big Tony Award winning juju who knows?

McFraggle

Reaction score
I think I heard something about this on Jim Hill's site several months ago.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
I think I heard something about this on Jim Hill's site several months ago.
i doubt you will ever see it, the henson company isnt to thrilled about avenue q, nor are the sesame workshop people, i here it was pretty funny though.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
How do you know they arent thrilled about it? I havent seen Avenue Q because it isnt in Australia and probably never will but I've got some of the songs and I think they are great, I like the idea of puppets being performed for an adult audience and not for kids as much but some of the swearing is a bit unnecesary but funny too.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Around 2000 they were pitching this to Henson. They also contacted me here to help hook them up with some Henson folks. I have a plot summary for the project along with a recording of them singing all the songs they wrote for the project. It is very Muppety and great to hear Marx and Lopez singing the lyrics as the various Muppet characters.

Kye

Reaction score
OK, Phillp! You have had this information at your fingertips for 4 years and havent shared!!! please!! Make some mp3s, or tell us the plot! I am begging...how pitiful! I should be ashamed of myself....oh heck...PLEASE!!!!! PLEASE!!! :crazy: