Modifying Link Hogthrob

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just ordered S6 Patrol Bear Fozzie and an extra S4 Link Hogthrob. My plan is to modify Link and give him Patrol digs. I would like to ask what kind of paint would be best to use for such a project? Also, some suggestions regarding his official police ribbons and/or his police hat would be cool. I searched for "Modifying figures" in MC's search option but found nothing specific. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's cause you're looking in the wrong place Ryan.
1 First off, the term is "customizing".
2 Acrylic paints work best for these projects. Either Apple Barrel or those little bottles they sell at Wal-Mart for about a dollar each.
3 You can find lots of tip-like info if you search for threads titled like "Questions for Customizers" over on the Palisades Toys forums.
4 My one-man crew is working on converting an extra Captain Link figure into Superr Link from the Linda Carter episode.
5 If you search over on the Palisades forums, there's someone else who was after the same photo reference for just such a project. You can ask around there if anyone's done a similar custom and can help you out.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think Quinnnnn actually did make a BOP Link. I bought an extra Link for the same purpose, but I also want to one day make a plain ol' Link and Julius.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed Foz-Man. The Supergoofs and a few miscellaneous characters are first up on the custom roster, depending on my one-man crew's schedule. But a regular Link and Julius are needed. My question is what TMS episode/references can I check for a regular Link? As for Julius, there's a great pic of him in regular doctor/scientist clothes seated next to Isaac Asimov in the Best of Muppets Magazine hardcover book I own.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
For a good regular Link, I like his look in the Sylvester Stallone episode. There's also a pic of him from the torso up in Jim Henson-The Works p. 102.

Thanks for the tips fellas. Sorry about that "modifying" goof. I will check out Hobby Lobby tomorrow and see what acrylics I can find.

Uncle deadly

Reaction score
A link patrol bear figure would be sweet, poor patrol fozzie all on his own!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... He's not rully all that alone. Just one patrol bear is enough to cart off those two old geysers for disturbing his peace. If you haven't seen 'em yet, head on over to the Palisades Collector's Club subsite, if you're a member that is, and search out the 12/3/2004 article in GWGumby's Playing With It! column.

You'll see a few pics I took with my brother's help of the arresting officer making the arrest. And another of him appearing on Muppet News Live to talk about the ordeal.

BTW: Ryan, how are you planning on making Patrol Chief Link's hat? Are you gonna glue it onto his head and make it permanently attached? Or will you make some sort of magna-scars to have the hat stay onto Link's head? Just curious.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Link is done! I think he looks really good. I made his hat with Sculpey clay and it just sits on his head, straight or crooked. I got lazy and decided against sanding down his gloves and boots, so he looks sharp in his official police officer's uniform accessorized with black gloves and black boots. I had to get creative with his uniform buttons; they are just small googly eyes painted gold and glued on. Standing him next to Patrol Bear Fozzie, he looks primed and ready to bark orders or accidentally release a wanted criminal.

If I ever learn how to post pictures online, I'll do so. I'll also show you guys the penguin I made entirely out of Sculpey.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, that's great Ryan. All you need now are a few proper accessories to seal the deal. That is, if you're interested in doing that sorta stuff. Wanted to know... do you think a sort of metallic green space pistol would be the right color to convey the idea that it's now a Snacka-waves gun?