Making Custom Accessories

Jester

Reaction score
I have been reading posts on this forum for the last month, and am currently building my first puppet. This is my first post, but I wanted to thank all of you veterans who have been giving such wonderful advice. It is helping people all over the world and is greatly appreciated.
My question is in regards to making a custom pair of eyeglasses, since I can't seem to find the size I want (even in toy shops). I am eventually putting the eyes in the eyeglasses a la Scooter, so I need a very specific size. I was thinking to create the model I need with wire, cover it w/clay, smooth it out, and then Plasti-dip the thing a few times. However, I wasn't sure how clay would react to the Plasti-dip... I'll give it a try, but I wanted to know if anybody had any ideas for this.

(I'll post photos of my puppet when I'm done)

Thank You
-Noel

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
My 2 cents LOL

If you are going to make it from wire you are better off making the glasses from Fimo- you can smooth it then bake it until hard.

Plastidip can work too, but I see it being messy. If you use Plasti-Dip make certain it is used with a oil based clay. Plasti-dip is a oil base and water based clay may not work :wink: I've never tried it but perhaps someone here could back me up or "argue" otherwise.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Hola Noel, bienvenidos,

I would suggest going to a local hoppy shop(not sure how common those are in PR i didnt see many when i was in San Juan, but look for some decent weight styrene sheest , i have seen them in many places , it comes in large and small sheets, trace e paper pattern of the shapes you want to make, then very carefully cut the plastics with an EXACTO blade, pleae be carefull.con cuidado! the should have a glue you can use cynoacralate is one i have used, ask the shop keeper, you can sand the plastic to smooth it out then paint it,

have fun good luck!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I recently needed some very specific eyeglasses for a puppet & coudln't find any. I ended up having a friend who does stained glass art make them for me. Only bad part is that because of the lead content, you can't eat them or rub them on yourself for excessive periods of time.

Jester

Reaction score
Wonderful advice! Thanks to Ravage, Creaturework, & Stacey... I tried the Plastidip but it was a mess, the clay turned mushy and it was horrible to work with. So I am gonna try both Ravage's styrene alternative and Creature's fimo suggestion, and see which one works best for my situation. Best Regards to all of you.

DumbAscii

Reaction score
I have to second the polymer clay suggestion (FIMO, Premo.sculpty). Luckily I have a friend who is a very talented clay artist! Plus its perfectly safe to rub all over yourself should you be so inclined!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
dont know if i would suggest the polemer clay, for fine things like eye glasses i dont think it would be durable enough

DumbAscii

Reaction score
Once its baked it would be fine. You'd have to be careful with any thin, long pieces, like the stems, but you'll have that problem with any material.