Liquid Foam?

shtick

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as liquid polyfoam that could be poured into a mold? I have seen this weird liquid polyfoam that hardens to a very stiff blob which is used to float boats. I've also seen that liquid spray stuff used for insulation or stuffing up holes in walls.

Is there such a thing as a liquid that can be poured into a mold and harden into soft polyfoam?

(If it hasn't been done already its definitely possible since foam can be made from a liquid.)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
What you may be thinking of is foam latex, which is used to make puppets like Miss Piggy and used quite extensively for make-up special effects and animatronic puppets.

There's a good article about this stuff by Tom McLaughlin, who worked for the Muppets and contributed to some of the original versions of Statler and Waldorf, Miss Piggy Yoda, etc. You can find it online at http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/building/FoamPuppets.html

Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but I hope it helps!

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Casting foam latex is a tricky process. These guys have streamlined it and made it fairly user-friendly, and the price isn't too outrageous.

GMFoam

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
shtick said:
Is there such a thing as liquid polyfoam that could be poured into a mold? I have seen this weird liquid polyfoam that hardens to a very stiff blob which is used to float boats. I've also seen that liquid spray stuff used for insulation or stuffing up holes in walls.

Is there such a thing as a liquid that can be poured into a mold and harden into soft polyfoam?

(If it hasn't been done already its definitely possible since foam can be made from a liquid.)
Yes thier is a foam like this, but it is not that similar to traditional Poly foams,

you can Buy it from SMOOTH-ON , they produce a wide range of casting and moldmaking plastics, and rubbers,

its called "FLEXFoam-iT V", its a flexible Poyurethane foam, its a two part mix, it expands ten times its original voume with a uniform 6lb/cu.ft. cell structure, , if you are going to use it , u will need to make a cilicone mold, its very sticky stuff, besure to were gloves, and FOLLOW ALL THE SAFTEY INFORMATION
heres thier web site.

http://www.smoothon.com/

hennesprod

Reaction score
.....as mentioned Flex-foam from smooth on. I have used this for a substitute for foam latex, "no heat" required, and yes it is very sticky as stated. I have used molds made out of Autobody filler, fiberglass, plaster, and slicone. !!!IMPORTANT..Make sure your surface of your molds are sealed and you use the proper release agent. Cool material to work with!

!!!Also read all saftey information that comes along with the material!!!

William