Kermit's facial expressions

fatblue

Reaction score
Amazing the what the slightest move of a hand can do. Henson was a master at this, giving everyone the unforgettable faces of emotion by Kermit.

That one at the end of the B skit with Cookie Monster, when CM kisses him. Always found it funny how his face would scruch up, saying "YEEESSH!!!' Never one for the mushy stuff, especially when mad.

Whenever he was caught off gaurd, his face would then become more...how can I say, triangular? He would have the look like "Oh my gosh" Don't know how to explain this,but head would jerk twice. That was a classic.

Anyone remember more? :smile:

superfan

Reaction score
Yeah! I know what you mean!

I thought of another thing that Kermit would do, particularly in his Muppet Newsflash skits, was the shouting he'd do, that wide open mouth, kinda (as Steve Whitmire said) 'punching' the air, with his arms flailing out in front. He could go from easy going to completely psycho! :smile:

And of course, Bert's scrunched up mouth was a sight to behold as well! :frown:
Now, did Ernie ever have that scrunched up expression, or did he ever even really have a need to do it? OR, considering his head and mouth shape, would he have been able to? :stick_out_tongue:

fatblue

Reaction score
There wasn't much flexiblity in Ernie's face. But the laugh is legendary.

Kermit would always wave his arms also when he would announce a new guest each week for the Muppet Show.

Example:

"It's the Muppet Show, with our very special guest star(let's say)Paul Wlliams!! YAY!!!"

superfan

Reaction score
Of course! That's his signature style!

Cookie Monster, now, he's pretty one way or the other...you know, maniacally eating cookies or talking about them. Have you ever seen him squish his face in frustration? The only thing I can think of that Frank Oz does quite well with him is when he tilts his head off to one side like he's really thinking about something.

Boy, we're very detailed in our observations, huh! Good thing none of my coworkers are reading this over my shoulder....!!!

MuppetDude

Reaction score
And what about Oscar? All Caroll has to do is tilt Oscar's head down, stick the lower jaw down, and raise the eyebrows, and Oscar seems to have a very realistic smile.

The subtle moves are equally effective when he frowns; the jaw is forced back, the eyebrows are lowered, and his head's tilted back.

Creepy how real the grouch seems to be...
:grouchy:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Kermit's expressions are priceless, I agree.
My favorite expression is that of Dr. Teeth when his glasses are raised to reveal the whole eyes. In GMC, during the Happiness Hotel number, I love how he reacts to Zoot whenever Zoot blows a single note on the sax (three times in a row or something like that).

fatblue

Reaction score
Kermit

Gonzo would have the funniest looks when his long nose would always be messed with!LOL!

I always loved how Kermit exploded on Grover when he got him mad, waving his arms yelling, and Grover would scream and run away! I saw one of these skits on that special of Muppets: 30 year celebration back in '86.

superfan

Reaction score
Haha! You're right about Dr.Teeth! Smiled just thinking about it, actually! :big_grin:

Okay, who else...
Fozzie Bear somehow managed to always look genuinely embarassed and so "Aaa, c'mon guys..." It helped with the eyelids.

Animal! He did some great expressions, especially after a wild drum solo, with him looking wide eyed and panting.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Cookie Monster expression

Exactly once, Cookie Monster had a similar facial expression.

In a street scene shown throughout the episode, CM had an identity crisis. He didn't know what he was. At one point he thought he was a grouch; Oscar made it clear that he was too nice to be one. CM also thought he might be a bird, so he went to Big Bird. The final test was to see if he ate bird seed. BB poured a generous portion of seed into CM's mouth. CM made a steady scrunched-up look on his face for a few deafeningly silent seconds. Then he exclaimed "Yecch!!" and spit out the bird seed as conceded he was not a bird. Finally, the adults re-confirmed his identity with some genuine cookies.

superfan

Reaction score
(in reference to the afore mentioned Cookie expression)
Kinda like Tigger with his first (and last) taste of honey, haycorns and thistles!

I like it when Big Bird lowers his eyelids and faces the camera with his mouth quivering open a wee bit with the soft long winded sigh. Yes, even Big Bird gets annoyed.