Kermit Swamp Years - Opinions

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
Might as well weigh in on this one. Here's the real problem with this story: By the end of the movie, we don't actually get any closure...And is there no ourpouring of apology or sympathy for the sadly gutted frogs that gave their lives just so he could not be socially uncomfortable. It this sounded like a good idea on paper, it was only because nobody actually read to the end of the story.
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't entirely judge. It sounds like it's not terrible, I might rent i someday. But based on hearing this, it does sound like there was a writing problem, which often happens with made for TV/straight to video projects.

Given that I am such a grand Pigophile, I take exception to "Kermit's" cracks about MIss Piggy, as I find them mean-spirited.
Now that I'm thinking about it, that's one big problem I've had with the recent Muppet projects, a lot of the jokes are just very mean-spirited. The writer's seem to think it's adult, edgy humor, but it's not. It just comes across cruel and jaded.

BEAR

Reaction score
Maybe I'll watch it again. It's been a while and when I did see it, I found it cute and fun. Maybe my views will be different after 5 years.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Hey Marky I was thinking about the point you made about the lack of the word "Muppet" in KSY, but if you think about it, maybe that was smart. I mean this would be before Kermit met the gang and became known as "Muppets" right?

BEAR

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
Hey Marky I was thinking about the point you made about the lack of the word "Muppet" in KSY, but if you think about it, maybe that was smart. I mean this would be before Kermit met the gang and became known as "Muppets" right?
Interesting point. It is not about or focused on the gang we know as "The Muppets" it is only about Kermit as a young frog growing up in the swamp. It almost seems like an independent project Kermit was working on away from the Muppet group.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
One of my friends saw this on the shelf with my other Muppet movies and asked how it was. I told her, "Well, a Muppet purist wouldn't own it, but a Muppet completist would." So she said that made plain which type I was.

It isn't Muppet "canon"--that is, it won't fit into the "true" Muppet storyline established in, say, the Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie. This Kermit backstory is incompatible with the established chronology. I say it's apocryphal and does not take place in the "Muppet-verse."

It's also extremely lame. The jokes are weak, the plot is ho-hum, and the human actors should never, ever have been allowed into a Muppet production. Some people can work well with Muppets, some can't. These can't, and it doesn't help that they're given such cardboard stereotype characters to play. "Hi, I'm the relentless, irritable, villainesque scientist-type!" "Hi, I'm his dopey, bumbling assistant!" Sheesh.

The best part of the DVD is what's in the extras. I laughed much more at those than at the actual movie. I wouldn't buy it again just for the extras--except, yes, I would buy the DVD again, because I'm a completist and want EVERY Muppet production on my shelf.
with a few exceptions, i think it would fit into the muppet "canon", these are some events that happened when Kermit was growing up in the swamp, it even had arnie the alligator, and the nearby movie theatre, rember "there's a double feature every saturday"

i also agree that it wasn't that great, but if you look closely, in one scene in the background there's a container that says "Salmon Friends", referencing "Sam & Friends"

Kiki

Reaction score
If I hadta say, just quietly, I rully didn't like it. Well, I didn't *hate* it, I mean the plot was good and all, but... i dunno, i guess I'm not a big fan of the 'new' Muppets. Though I still liked The Muppets Wizard of Oz. :smirk:

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
It was a pretty okay movie. I have the DVD. I like the armadillo charcter during some of the behind the scenes. The behind the scenes are pretty neat.

Marky

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
Yes, this is true. I remember the TV guide review for it - it made it clear not to expect many of the old characters. It was likely an all-around move to lower expectations for people choosing to tune in.