1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Kermit, his collar and the other frogs

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Pug Lover, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

Did you ever notice how Kermit is the only frog to ever have a collar around his neck?Not to mention the design of his eyes.Every other frog muppet we see,including Kermit's little nephew Robin,has a bare neck and round eyes.Kermit is unique in that way! :)
  2. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

And he didn't even start out that way. Original Kermit had no collar. What is that collar anyway? Frogs don't have collars.
  3. HeraLirambar

HeraLirambar New Member

I think it's cool. Kermit's the original punk. ;)
  4. sixdollarman

sixdollarman Member

The one Muppet Show episode that fetured Crystal Gayle had a bunch of prairie dogs that kept stealing everything. Then as soon as Kermit started to complain, they came and stole his collar. He ducked down behind the desk because he felt naked. For the rest of the show, he hid behind the curtains or wore a feather boa to try to conceal the fact that he was naked. It looked really funny! He didn't look like Kermit anymore. The collar really shows his personality. :)
  5. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Yeah, w/o that collar, he's just some random frog ;) :p
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Random except for his eyes. He also doesn't wear his collar if there is clothing on him most of the time. Happy Feet is a sketch, among others, where he didn't wear the collar.

I think Happy Feet...
  7. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Yeah, he's got the different eyes too. He doesn't have his collar (I think) as Capt. Smollet in Muppet Treasure Island.
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Does he ware a collar, or is it part of him?
  9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

He's said numerous times that it's just decoration. It's just his "fashion statement" and "What keeps him from being totally nude." (K: "Many people don't realize I'm almost fully nude. That's why they never shoot below the waist! Ha ha!") :)
  10. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

"And that's why I have this funny collar!"

lol, that's from It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie when Kermit was talking to Carson Daly. I thought that was a pretty good line.
  11. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

Kemits collar

:)
    :) When Jim Henson first built him in 1956 for Sam and Friends he had no collar. Then before Sesame Street Jim added the collar which gave him a better look. :)

Check out a new yahoo group today
    themuppetshowmemories@yahoogroups.com
    relive the magic.
  12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I wish they would have shown him give the whole story. We'd all like to know.
  13. Lemonzinger

Lemonzinger New Member

In the late 60's-early 70's, didn't he have a weird sort of "double collar" thing going on as opposed to his current look?
  14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think I've seen pictures of that somewhere, I don't quite remember where.
  15. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

Yes!I remember him having two collars around his neck in earlier episodes of Sesame Street.
  16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

He did have 2 collars at one time, but took one off eventually because he felt that he was over-dressing.
  17. Boppity & Gloat

Boppity & Gloat New Member

Without the collar, I think Kermit is the same person. I think the collar represented that he was an outgoing person and it showed a sign of leadership. In the early years b4 he had the color and webbed feet, he was still a very popular muppet esp. towards the monsters who wanted to eat him so bad hehehehe. U can see Kermit without his color in the Muppet Movie. It's the scene when his froggy brains were about to be fried till Piggy came and saved his butt. Right b4 the screen starts to act funny, u see Kermit look at the camera after piggy leaves him and u see him collar less. Sometimes on Sesame Street, Kermit had a dark green and a light green collar on at once.