Kermie's Girl (ushy-gushy fanfic)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
I cannot promise that you will always like the road I take you down, but I can promise that you will like where we end up when we arrive.
Well said.

I often wrestle with myself about some of the stories that I write, wondering, how on EARTH can I write these things, how on EARTH can I do, or even CONCEIVE of doing, such horrible things to such wonderful characters? And the answer I always come down to is that it's for the sake of the ending. It doesn't seem like it should have been "okay" to give Kermit's mom cancer when I wrote "Swamp Call," but in my mind, (or at least in two out of three of them, because the third is just plain evil,) it was justified by all the heartwarming (and heartwrenching) moments that helped the characters deal with the situation, for example, when Fozzie said to Kermit, "Let us be strong for you this time."

A story isn't a story without conflict, and sometimes making the pain more painful makes the joy that much more jubilant. (Or at least I hope that's the case, because I write some horridly depressing stuff.) I happen to be a very firm believer in happy endings.

In the meantime, Ru, I truly admire how many different story-lines you have woven into this tale, and the Floyd-Janice-Clifford aspect is one of my favorites. I am sincerely looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Therefore: MORE PLEASE! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
We take great delight, don't we (perhaps you and I especially) at seeing Kermit erupt into a jealous fit after many protestations of indifference to his fetching co-star. While filing The Muppet Show, Kermit only WISHED he werem indifferent to Miss Piggy, or at least immune. And yet, even though we knew he wasn't indifferent, his attempts to appear so were the most effective ammunition he could throw at killing Piggy's love for him. He very nearly succeeded from time to time, at great cost to both of them.
I could not agree with you more, Ru! I couldn't put it better myself! This aspect adds so much depth to the characters and makes them appear more human, and anything that can make a frog and a pig human is quality in my book!

Very well spoken Ru, please post more soon, I love this story

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 61: Transcendent

Last night’s show had left Kermit satisfied and tired. He’d slept the sleep of the righteous and woken up early, full of new ideas for the New Year’s Show. And Christmas. He had to start thinking about Christmas. He had less than two weeks to get things ready, and he stood still and worried determinedly about whether or not he had enough presents to satisfy one small frog and one very particular diva. Better check with Marty, and follow up with Thoreau, whose ear Piggy usually had. They might have ideas he didn’t. He was sure about what Santa planned to bring Robin, and fairly certain that the little frog would be swimming in gifts and candy from all sorts of other sources, but it wouldn’t hurt to take inventory, so to speak. He might have to watch the candy part—especially if they were going to get through their Christmas night show.
Kermit the Frog mused, not for the first time, that the life of a thespian (or a banjo-playing frog) often meant working holidays, or holidays on the road. He supposed this year he’d technically have both of those things, but what he didn’t have was the loneliness that usually went with them. Alone in the early-morning backstage gloom, Kermit smiled, his face softening as he thought about Piggy’s face, untroubled in sleep when he’d bent to kiss her goodbye this morning. Robin’s forehead, smooth and unlined, had also received a quick froggy kiss before he’d slipped out the door. He had managed, he thought ruefully, not to pat a snoring Foo Foo on the head where she had sprawled on the comfy counch, but it had actually occurred to him.
And not only did he have the benefit of family with him—he had extended family too. As if on cue, Fozzie arrived back stage, his whole face lighting up when he saw Kermit already there.
“Hiya, hiya!” Fozzie called. “Kermit! Come to the kitchen—Mabel’s making waffles!”
Kermit’s mouth watered at the thought. He looked at his PDA, which today seemed less recalcitrant than it had yesterday—either that, or he was actually learning to use the durn thing—and thought he might actually enjoy running some of this by Fozzie. In addition to being one of Kermit’s oldest friends, Fozzie was sometimes blessed with insight that eluded the more sophisticated. Plus, sitting down to a hot waffle fresh out of the waffle iron wasn’t something that happened much at the The Frog household.
“Coming!” Kermit called. He followed the smell of hot bread.
He was almost through the backstage door when Beaker’s long, skinny head poked around the corner of the sound booth.
“Me me mee meep?” asked Beaker. Kermit nodded, if a little uncertainly.
“Um, Mabel’s making waffles,” he said, hoping that answered the question.
It apparently did, for Beaker fell into step with him and they made for the little kitchenette.

“Oh, it’s like rully amazing, Camilla,” Janice said, relaying her side trip with Clifford yesterday. “I mean, it’s like so surprising what comes back to you when you’re—“
“Bawk begawk bawk?” Camilla asked, her head cocked pertly to one side, but Janice just laughed.
“Like, of course I have. But he’ll get over it, Honey. I mean, he’ll be a little shocked at first, but then it will be okay. Floyd’s….” She paused, trying to think what she wanted to say. “Floyd’s fair—he won’t stay mad.”
Camilla put one feathery wing on her hip and clucked at her room-mate, and Janice turned a pleading face on her.
“Oh, I know, Camilla—but I can’t help it. Sometimes…sometimes you just have to, you know, not say everything you know at once.” She turned her eyes on her long-time feathered friend. “Besides, after tomorrow, everyone will know—even Floyd. Then it won’t matter anymore.”
If Camilla had had lips she’d have pursed them in disapproval, but at last, Janice’s genuine distress made her relent. She walked over and put her soft wings around the blond guitarist fondly.
“Be-bawk,” she said resignedly.
Janice breathed a sigh of relief and returned the hug. “Like, I know,” she said softly. “Keeping secrets stinks.”

Thoreau had not slept well. He strongly suspected that the little chickie at the café had given him a caffeinated coffee drink when he had specifically requested decaff. He’d gotten up early and almost shrieked at the signs of puffiness around his eyes, but a couple of cool tea bags had done wonders before his skin care regime and he now felt he looked almost human. His hair, on the other hand, was a different manner, and Thoreau walked his cup of tea past the row of mirrors in Piggy’s dressing room with studied indifference.
Caffeine or no, he had dreamed in vivid colors the night before, and his brain was full of costume ideas. His fingers were positively itching to sketch. When that happened, there was nothing for it but to answer the call and download the images onto paper.
“Dance of Love” was going to be fun, and the clothing items themselves were less important than the colorful images they evoked. Scooter had promised him technical assistance on the masks, but he hadn’t quite made up his mind about material yet. Kente cloth was a possibility, but the richness of the textures might actually interfere with the simplicity of the effect he was going for. He found that he was leaning toward florals or geometrics. Hmm—geometrics might be fun, and he could incorporate those themes into the masks…. His colored pencils flew over the page, filling in details here, a note to self there. When he finished one idea, he tore it off and tossed it carelessly onto the floor. He sketched for a long time, and when he was done, he sat back and let out a deep breath before bending to gather up the sheaves of paper which had fallen on the floor. One by one he scanned them, making quick notes in the margin of a few of them, but at last he was satisfied. Thoreau sat back and reached for his tea.
It was stone cold, and he looked at it in some surprise. When he glanced at his watch, he was shocked to see that almost two hours had passed. Two whole hours. Two whole hours of amazing creativity that was not limited by someone’s figure type or favorite color. He felt slightly stunned, amazed by what had just happened, and his hands went up to his flushed face in surprise.
Before he could process what he was thinking and feeling, the door to the dressing room opened. Piggy started slightly at seeing him so still and flushed and with such a strange expression on his face, and she stepped forward, concerned.
Her hand on his forehead was cool and soft—almost motherly, Thoreau thought with some confusion, but the concern in her voice snapped him back to himself.
“Are you okay, dear?” Piggy asked. “You look upset.”
Thoreau shook his head quickly, and reached up and removed her hand gently from his flushed forehead. He took her hand and put the sketches in it, staring at the far wall while she leafed through them. She hadn’t even looked at half of them before she spoke.
“These are wonderful,” she said simply.
Morosely, Thoreau nodded. “I know,” he said glumly.
“But they are,” Piggy insisted. “Sweetie, this could be a whole spring line.”
“I know,” Thoreau repeated, his voice troubled. Piggy stared at him, unable to read his mood. She sat down on the chair next to him and searched his face, wondering what was wrong.
“Thoreau, these are amazing and original and Moi is not sure what the problem is.” There was just an edge of testiness in her voice, to remind him that she was, after all, Miss Piggy, and ought to command attention from dressmakers—lowly or brilliant.
“It’s just…it’s just,” began Thoreau, and he looked so baffled and distressed that Piggy bit back her impatience and let him talk at his own pace. “It’s just I’ve never done anything like this before,” Thoreau said at last. “I make one-of-a-kind things—incredible, amazing confections for opera stars and screen divas and prima donnas who wouldn’t wear off the rack if their lives depended on it. I don’t…do this.” He gestured helplessly at the pile of sketches, then dropped his hands back into his lap as though not sure who those long-fingered hands belonged to.
In spire of herself, Piggy began to smile.
“Have you never designed a whole line before? Never shopped your sketches to any of the labels?”
Never,” said the dressmaker emphatically. “I’ve always been a one-man show doing to order.”
Piggy’s expression was gentle, and so was her hand on his arm. “Then you’ve discovered a new talent, darling,” she said. “And it’s okay.”
“It’s not! It’s not okay!” he said, shooting to his feet. “I mean—what do I do with these? I was just sketching out some ideas for the show and then, and then—“
He whirled on her. “This is your fault,” he accused. “If you hadn’t made me come down here and help you with the show, then I wouldn’t have this problem.”
“What problem?” Piggy cried, exasperated. “What is wrong with you?”
There was an anguished pause, with the talented tailor actually wringing his hands. “I hate rejection!” wailed Thoreau at last. “I’ve never been brave enough to even try to design a spring line, much less shop it out to people. That’s why I started out the way I did—building my business little by little one satisfied customer at a time.” He looked at her balefully. “And I always told myself it was because my talent didn’t run toward dresses the masses—that I would be bored with an entire line of mundane clothes.”
Piggy withstood this tantrum admirably, although in her wicked little heart of hearts she wished briefly for score cards. She would have given this tantrum about a 7.5.
“Well,” she said briskly. “Now you know different. You can do it.” She waved at the sketches meaningfully. “Now all you have to do is decide if you want to risk rejection by trying to find a label.”
Thoreau looked at her, pleased at being known so well, and annoyed at being so transparent. “Yes,” he said, and sniffed.
“I suppose bringing out your own label would be out of the question?” Piggy asked archly.
“Of course….” Thoreau’s snappy answer died in his throat. “Um,” he said, faltering. “I…I never thought about that.”
“So think about it.”
“But, but—“
“Sweetie, you do a lovely impression of a motor boat but Moi does not have time for this. Moi has to change for dance practice and you are blocking my way to the screen.”
Thoreau stood instantly, part contrition and part outrage at her effrontery, but Piggy could see the little wheels turning in his head. He stopped at the door and looked back at her.
“They were good, weren’t they?” he asked.
“They are wonderful—brilliant. And maybe it’s time that the mundane masses got a chance to look as fabulous as Moi.”
“Not a chance,” Thoreau smirked. “You’ll always leave the crowd in the dust.”
“Vous are too kind,” Piggy said sweetly, then her voice dropped down to a husky growl. “Now get out—I’m going to wrestle some spandex and it might not be pretty.”
In spite of himself, Thoreau laughed. He picked up his sketches and his pencils and went out into the hall with his cold cup of tea. This morning, he’d been full of new ideas—now he was full of new and scary ideas. If he were very honest…it might just be an improvement.

“Down, Animal,” said Floyd Pepper, hauling unenthusiastically on Animal’s leash when he tried to get a closer whiff of two young ladies passing them on the sidewalk. One shrieked, but the other one just giggled and patted Animal on the head. The drummer stared after them forlornly, but eventually turned and followed Floyd down the sidewalk.
It was still early morning and the hot desert sun had not even begun to preen itself, but the temperature outside was already quite toasty. Animal was panting by the time they’d walked three blocks down the strip, and Floyd wished he’d brought some water.
Janice always remembered to bring water, he thought dismally. But Janice wasn’t here. Just one ol’ broken-down bass player walking the drummer around the block.
Self-pity chafed, and Floyd shouldered it off irritably. He…he still had his music, right? Still had a hard-rocking reputation and a string of albums that a lot of aspiring musicians would sell their souls for. And he had had a wonderful, glorious, long long time to savor the wonder of Janice. Crying over what ain’t won’t get it back, he thought, and groped desperately for some way to move forward.
Wasn’t pain supposed to be good for musicians? Wasn’t that supposed to fuel your talent, make you raw and soulful? Floyd just felt raw, but his mind flashed to the evening where he’d stumbled across Gonzo pouring all his pain into a song. Poor guy, Floyd though with the sympathy of a fellow sufferer. Getting dumped at Christmas sure was the pits.
He knew what that was like although, technically, he hadn’t even been dumped yet, not that there was anything left but a formality. So he still had that to look forward to. Yippee. Floyd let out a sigh so loud that Animal turned and stared at him for a moment in concern before poking his head in a nearby garbage can. The morose bass player wished it would happen quickly—wished it would all be over soon.
Little did he know….

Gloria Jean surveyed the wreck doubtfully, scratching the back of Rizzo’s head absently with one long-nailed hand. Rizzo felt himself sliding into bliss, but tried hard to stay on track.
“Presto! An automatic Christmas tree!” he boasted.
“Oh,” said the pretty chorine. “Is that what it is?”
“Hey,” said Rizzo indignantly. “I worked my tail off getting that tree out of Mabel’s attic crawl space.”
Gloria Jean said nothing but she cast a conspicuous glance at Rizzo’s backside, making his little whiskers bristle with indignation.
“Are you giving me attitude?” he said. “Here I am trying to be a good guy and you’re giving me the business—“
Gloria Jean bent and gave Rizzo considerably more than the business, pressing a smooch on him that silenced all his grumbling. She didn’t let him go until he came up gasping, staring at her with undisguised admiration.
“What a woman!” Rizzo said, and put his arms around her.
Gloria Jean giggled. “Keep going,” she said. “But it’s still an ugly tree.”
“Whatever,” said Rizzo, and they were both relieved when Gonzo didn’t answer.

Scooter listened patiently while Howard roughed out his plans for the choreography for This Island Earth, the finale of the New Year’s show. This was harder than it looked because Sarah was waiting for him.
“We could do that,” said Scooter. “It’s like a miniature lazy Suzanne, right.”
Howard blinked, trying to incorporate this kitchen gadget idea into what he’d just said, but then he nodded earnestly.
“Yes,” he said. “That’s the general idea. It will spin while the dancers on the outside are moving around it.”
“Does it need a generator?”
“Yeesss,” Howard said thoughtfully, stroking his chin. “I think we might want it to spin independently.”
“I’ll have Doctor Honeydew rig something up.”
Howard looked anxious for a moment. “Um…well, okay. That will be, um, fine.”
“Sure,” said Scooter. “Well check everything out before we put anyone on it.”
“Really?” said Howard. “That would make me feel a lot better.”
“Good,” said Kermit’s personal assistant, edging back away from the choreographer. “But if you think of anything else….” Don’t call me, Scooter thought. He turned to Sarah and took her hand.
“Are you hungry?” asked Sarah. “Mabel packed us a picnic.”
“Oh,” said Scooter, trying to hide his disappointment. He felt like he deserved some uninterrupted TLC after all the hard work he’d done on those printouts, not to mention getting things ready for yet another show. Truth be told, he’d been hoping for a something a little more private. “That sounds nice.” He hefted the brown paper sack (picnic baskets being in short supply). “So we’re going outside?”
Sarah gave him a look he couldn’t read, part devilish, part nervous.
“Um, noooo,” she said. “I thought we might picnic in…my room. We’ve got a great view when we open the curtain and we could just set up on the, um,…and Janice and Camilla are out working on some sort of top-secret project and I just thought….” She was looking a him expectantly, trying to see if this idea seemed sweet and romantic or just lame.
She needn’t have worried. Scooter grinned and squeezed her hand.
“I think you have good ideas,” he said, and leaned in to kiss her on the cheek.
Sarah accepted his kiss and giggled.
“Well,” she said, “if you think that idea was great, wait to you hear my other ideas.”
Scooter let out a deep happy sigh and looked at Sarah with a dopey grin on his face. “I can hardly wait.”

Ruahnna

Reaction score
A message to the nervous and distraught: Hang in there! Do what I do at the movies--cover your face and make someone else tell you when the bad parts are over. We're not quite done with the scary parts yet, but we're getting there. Promise.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha! What scary parts? Bring it ooooooon!
There's a thought there in the part where Kermit's departing for another day at the auditorium, something expressed in the John Denver Christmas special you picked up on and portrayed nicely. Also, Gonzo was with Rizzo andGloria Jean? That struck me as out of the green as the case may be. Cant wait to find out about the masks and how these couples kindle their coeurs anew.

Leyla

Reaction score
Well... I suppose you have more than earned the right to a little faith, Ru dear, and I sure hope you didn't take any of my earlier words too seriously or personally. I will pull myself together and try to hang in there.

Ed, Lisa, thank you for rising to Ru's defense. I know it seems strange, but I was glad to see it.

In the interests of making amends for my childishness, I want you to know that I really enjoyed this update, with the obvious exception of the part I find so very devastating.

I adore your writing of Kermit, his affection for the people in his life, and that cute moment of temptation when he nearly pats Foo Foo's head! The richness of your characterization is amazing to me, and if I were a more driven writer, would be a lofty goal for me to attempt. Buuuuut... I'm lazy. I often have deep seated emotional reactions to your characters because of the reality in them. It's almost overwhelmingly real sometimes, and you KNOW how sensitive I am.

I'll keep this relatively short today. There's a lot on my mind, but in closing, some of my favourite lines.

He looked at his PDA, which today seemed less recalcitrant than it had yesterday—either that, or he was actually learning to use the durn thing—and thought he might actually enjoy running some of this by Fozzie. In addition to being one of Kermit’s oldest friends, Fozzie was sometimes blessed with insight that eluded the more sophisticated.
Oh, so true, and part of Fozzie's hold on my heart to be certain. Not a sophisticated bear, but gentle, kind, loyal to a fault, and insightful.

“Me me mee meep?" asked Beaker. Kermit nodded, if a little uncertainly.
“Um, Mabel’s making waffles," he said, hoping that answered the question.
It apparently did, for Beaker fell into step with him and they made for the little kitchenette.
I wonder if Beaker KNOWS that he isn't understood in his guinea pigese. I wonder if he ever takes advantage of his disadvantage.

The whole scene with Thoreau and Piggy, including...

Before he could process what he was thinking and feeling, the door to the dressing room opened. Piggy started slightly at seeing him so still and flushed and with such a strange expression on his face, and she stepped forward, concerned.
Her hand on his forehead was cool and soft—almost motherly, Thoreau thought with some confusion, but the concern in her voice snapped him back to himself.
“Are you okay, dear?" Piggy asked. “You look upset.”
Wow, Ru... that was really fascinating, and I loves seeing PIggy in a sort of... moterly capacity with him. I can certainly sympathise with his fear about the future and trying new things... and yet, there's excitement too, and Piggy's support is wonderful to see.

“What problem?" Piggy cried, exasperated. “What is wrong with you?"
There was an anguished pause, with the talented tailor actually wringing his hands. “I hate rejection!" wailed Thoreau at last.
Don't we all.

Piggy withstood this tantrum admirably, although in her wicked little heart of hearts she wished briefly for score cards. She would have given this tantrum about a 7.5.
Fabulous.

“They are wonderful—brilliant. And maybe it’s time that the mundane masses got a chance to look as fabulous as Moi.”
“Not a chance," Thoreau smirked. “You’ll always leave the crowd in the dust.”
“Vous are too kind," Piggy said sweetly, then her voice dropped down to a husky growl. “Now get out—I’m going to wrestle some spandex and it might not be pretty.”
In spite of himself, Thoreau laughed. He picked up his sketches and his pencils and went out into the hall with his cold cup of tea. This morning, he’d been full of new ideas—now he was full of new and scary ideas. If he were very honest…it might just be an improvement.
Lovely, lovely, and very funny!

Wasn’t pain supposed to be good for musicians? Wasn’t that supposed to fuel your talent, make you raw and soulful? Floyd just felt raw, but his mind flashed to the evening where he’d stumbled across Gonzo pouring all his pain into a song. Poor guy, Floyd though with the sympathy of a fellow sufferer. Getting dumped at Christmas sure was the pits.
<sigh> Poor soul... how I long to see him comforted, granted some sort of solace...

“Whatever," said Rizzo, and they were both relieved when Gonzo didn’t answer.
Ha! Great twist on a classic!

“I’ll have Doctor Honeydew rig something up.”
Howard looked anxious for a moment. “Um…well, okay. That will be, um, fine.”
“Sure," said Scooter. “Well check everything out before we put anyone on it.”
Brave go-fer, and brave dancers.

“Oh, I know, Camilla—but I can’t help it. Sometimes…sometimes you just have to, you know, not say everything you know at once.”
I love you, Ru.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So... Any new news? Almost tempted to contact Ru about something I'd like to ask regarding Autumn, but I'm not sure about it... Update please?
:shifty:

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Please post more soon

Desparately missing this story from my fave ushy-gushy author! Please post when you can, I'd love to know what happens next, especially where Scribbler is concerned

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 62: The Gig is Up

The picnic lunch had been consumed with great gusto. Mabel had even included a large red-and-white-checked dishtowel that Sara had spread out with great ceremony on the bed before loading it down with edibles. Her pomp was undermined by her giggles, and it proved to be more difficult that it looked to sit on the bed without upsetting the plates of goodies provided. At one point, Scooter had leaned forward with the intent of claiming a kiss and almost up-ended the potato salad. Sara had reached to steady the bowl and his hands had closed over hers. Scooter managed to complete his intended gesture with the potato salad clutched between them, and absurdity of the gesture had undone the romantic moment. They tucked into the food until there was nothing left but crumbs and crumpled aluminum foil. Scooter stood, collecting the paper plates and cups and ferrying them to the wastebasket.
“I love a man who does the dishes,” Sara said merrily.
Scooter turned and waggled his eyebrows at her above his glasses. “Talk is cheap,” he said.
Sara arched her eyebrows back at him, then whisked the erstwhile tablecloth off the bed and threw it over her shoulder. She leaned back on her elbows and crooked her finger at him in her best come-hither fashion, which even Scooter had to admit had improved substantially since she’d be hanging out with the girls from the chorus. Scooter dropped the crumpled dishes with alacrity and bounded onto the bed beside her. This time, there was no potato salad to spoil the moment.
“Mmmm,” said Scooter. “This picnic is a whole lot better than the last one I went to.”
“Mmmm,” agreed Sara, draping her arms around his shoulders. “And why is that?”
“No ants,” said Scooter, and laughed when Sara sat up sputtering with indignation. “Kidding,” he said, taking her hands in his. “Just kidding.” He smiled at her, his eyes dark behind his glasses. “For one, my last picnic was a lot less romantic. I ended up refereeing between Mr. Statler and Mr. Waldorf.” He looked at her hesitantly. “You know—those two old guys in the balcony who always heckle our performances?”
“I know who they are,” said Sara, making a face. “In fact, right now I’m thinking about heckling your performance myself.”
“Oh, Sweetheart—“ said Scooter, looking suddenly boyish in his anxiety. Sara let him continue to hold her hands, but something in her face changed and she looked down.
“What?” said Scooter, concerned that his teasing had actually wounded her. “What’s wrong, Sara? I wasn’t—I didn’t mean—”
“No—no. It’s not you, Scooter. It is romantic here.” She reached out and touched his shoulder. “It’s just—I don’t know. I’m sad about Janice and Floyd, you know? I know I haven’t know them as long as you have, but—“
“Cause if it’s something that I—what?”
“But it they can’t make it, then what hope do any of the rest of us have, huh? And then there’s all this stuff with Kermit and Miss Piggy. I mean, it doesn’t seem—“
“Sweetie—wait. Stop.” Sara had been running her hand gently along Scooter’s arm, and she stopped, confused and then embarrassed, and began to withdraw her hand. He caught it and held it tight, smiling. “Not that,” he said. “You can do that all day. Go back to what you said a second ago—“
“About heckling your performance?” Sara looked impish but blushed all the same. “Well, I am willing to give you a second chance to audition—“
“Not that,” said Scooter hastily, fighting down the urge to acquiesce. “The other thing.”
“About Kermit and Miss Piggy? I mean, what’s left to say? This has been going on months now. I don’t know when that man—“
Sara’s face was flushed with indignation and her hair had fallen over her pink cheeks. Scooter had to fight to stay focused on the rabbit he was chasing.
“Not that—you said…what about Floyd and Janice?”
Sara stopped, looking puzzled. Surely Scooter knew what everyone else knew, but he was looking at her so earnestly and with such a puzzled expression in his eyes she didn’t know what to think.
“Well,” she said, suddenly uncertain. “Janice has been seeing Clifford on the side so—“
What?!” Any hope of rekindling the former coziness fled at the alarmed expression in his eyes. “Where did you hear that?”
Sara looked half-offended, half-surprised. “I—no one told me. It’s just—I mean, I’ve been rooming with Janice and Camilla, and there was something going on but, like, I’m the new girl, right? And they hadn’t counted on having me for a room-mate, so I haven’t tried to pry, but—“
“No,” said Scooter emphatically. “It can’t be.”
“It does be,” said Sara sadly. “Just when I thought I was beginning to imagine all those times that Clifford came by the room to get Janice, Sal saw Floyd who saw them.”
Scooter was following this with some difficulty, but he had been raised in the chaos of back stage and had a distinct advantage over most. Still, a clarifying question seemed called for.
“Sal saw Floyd see who? Janice and Clifford?”
Sara nodded. “And then Floyd said it wasn’t any fun loving someone who doesn’t love you back.”
After a moment of dumbfounded silence, Scooter reached out very carefully and shut his jaw with this free hand. A thousand questions were whizzing through his brain, the foremost of which was, “Where the heck have I been?” After a moment, he shook his head to clear it and sat up. Actors lives are made up of comedy and tragedy, Scooter thought morosely. Nobody had promised romance. But while he had—until very briefly—entertained the morose thought that romance might never fit into his schedule, he had never doubted for a moment that—
“Sara—are you, oh honey, look, I don’t want this to sound rude but do you think you might have misunderstood? I mean, did anyone—“
But Sara was shaking her head sadly. “That’s why I didn’t say anything. But Gloria Jean told me that Rizzo said that Pepe said that Dr. Teeth had heard it from Floyd.”
“Oh,” Scooter said, digesting this piece of information. Then, “Oh,” more sadly. He raised his eyes to Sara. “Did anyone—does Kermit know?”
Sara shook her head again, quickly. “No,” she said, adding emphasis to her already emphatic no. “Nobody said anything to Piggy, so if you didn’t know….” Her shock at the failing of his omniscience couldn’t help but cheer him slightly.
“If I didn’t know, and Piggy doesn’t know, then Kermit doesn’t know.” Scooter smiled sadly, his mouth quirking up on one corner. For just a moment, romance surged back into the room. For just a moment, Sara’s heart warred with her brain. For just a moment, Sara tried to put aside her own romantic concerns in favor of the romantic concerns of others, but with Scooter smiling that sweet, goofy smile she sighed and gave it up. She leaned forward and kissed that quirking, sad mouth until Scooter almost forgot the news she’d imparted.
But in the end, the kiss was tinged with sadness, and it communicated itself even through the splendor of Sara’s lips. Scooter pulled away, trying to straighten his glasses and his hair.
“Sara, I—“
“You have to go.” Sara smiled and released him.
Scooter nodded. “I have to go,” he said fervently. “I have to.” He leaned in and kissed her, his aim lopsided so that his lips met hers at the corner of her mouth. “But later—“
“Yes,” said Sara. “Later.” She was getting used to it.

If bad news travels fast, and gossip travels at the speed of light, Scooter must have broken the laws of physics. With his usual dispatch, he sifted through the irrelevant, the obtuse and the just plain strange and then, possessed of the facts of the matter, sat Kermit and the Missus down and told them what was going on. Kermit’s bafflement and Piggy’s indignation at the complete mismanagement of information made Scooter feel slightly better about his own ignorance, and they mulled over what to do.
“So Floyd doesn’t know,” repeated Kermit slowly. “And Janice said she and Clifford are going to be at the—what was it?”
“The Hard Rock Chapel of Eternal Jams,” Scooter repeated, not able to stifle a smile.
Piggy sniffed. “The minister dresses like Elvis,” she said scornfully, but Kermit turned and gave her a look of fond bemusement.
“You’re not exactly in a position to make snarky comments about Elvis,” he reminded her, and she had the good grace to color and look away. She had agreed with enthusiasm to be featured in the Elvises’ show and—surprising no one—had procured a blue velvet gown from the trunks and suitcases full of feminine clothing. Thoreau was probably even now busily sewing on rhinestones.
“If it’s going down this afternoon, why doesn’t everyone know about it—except Floyd, that is?” she demanded.
Again, Scooter tried not to smile. “Well, Camilla was supposed to be telling everyone….”
Piggy gave a groan of frustration. “Figures! If someone had only asked Moi—“ she began, then subsided and glanced at the face of her cell phone for the time. No need to beat a dead horse, especially not while the clock was ticking. She sighed, stood up and, with her usual aplomb, took charge of the moment as well as the men in the room.
“Well, let’s roll—Janice probably needs us and…” She hesitated, her expression pensive. “Later, Floyd may need us too.”
Kermit looked at Scooter, who nodded. “I’ll make sure the word is out and see if Dr. Teeth can help with damage control.”
“Good. I’ll get Robin and meet you there.”
Piggy stood at the door, hands on voluptuous hips, the toe of one very high heel tapping impatiently. “Move it!” she barked.
They moved it.

Happy to be pressed into useful service, Dr. Teeth accomplished his man-hunt in less time than he had expected. Last time, it had been food. This time, Floyd had found solace in the embrace of his bass, strumming and singing along in the quiet of the sound-proofed musician’s room. The door opened quietly, and Dr. Teeth stepped into the sound of blues and heartbreak. Floyd had his back to the door, his shoulders bent over the fine wood of his bass. His eyes were closed, and his gravelly voice fairly vibrated with angst.
“She was mine for a time but I just didn’t know that the time that we had was so brief. I lied to myself and she lied to me too, cause the truth’s not the same as belief. I thought we would make it forever, you know—I thought we would last till the end, but the best I can do is to bid you farewell--my lady, my lover and friend.
Oh, the days were so sweet but they just didn’t last--daydreams aren’t meant to, you know. Though I knew that you’d leave me alone in the end, I couldn’t help let my love grow
You were the sunshine that brightened my days, but sunset is coming on fast. So the best I can do is to bid you adieu, I’ll love you, my dear, to the last.”

Noiselessly, the Doctor of the Ivories slipped behind the keyboard. When he picked up the chords of the chorus, Floyd’s only reaction was to turn slightly in his direction and nod once, still keeping time with the steady thump of his foot on the floor.
“What about promises made in the sun? Don’t tell me it’s all for the best. Who would have thought that the love that we made wouldn’t hold up to the test.
“This ol’ heart is breaking in pieces today as you leave me in all my despair. I knew having you was a dream after all--but a dream that you just didn’t share.”

The music filled the room, Floyd’s sinewy arms pumping sound from his beloved bass, and Dr. Teeth followed the lead of his friend, embellishing the sound without cluttering. At last, the song faded, and Floyd Pepper’s bushy eyebrows rose.
“Nice ivories,” Floyd said, and the good doctor inclined his head and accepted the compliment sagely.
“Thumping bass,” he said. “What’s it called?”
“Leaving the Dream,” said Floyd.
“Sounds about right,” he said, and Floyd’s mustache twitched. His pleasure was short-lived, however, when Dr. Teeth put a hand on his back. “About that…. Take a walk with me, Floyd,” said his band-mate. “There’s something I need to show you.”
Dr. Teeth felt the muscles tighten in Floyd’s back, felt the fear run like quicksilver through his wiry frame, but his face betrayed none of his distress.
“Let’s ankle,” said Floyd amiably, but in truth, he was sure he did not want see what his friend wanted to show him.

“Wow,” said Kermit admiringly. “This is a really nice chapel.” Piggy smiled at him fondly and moved him out of the way. Once Scooter had made them aware of the situation, she’d stepped to the plate to help Janice do what she wanted. She’d brought Kermit along to bless the, um, well—to be a benevolent authority figure—but she had also rallied Howard, Thoreau and Foo Foo, any of whom could throw a fabulous party in ten minutes notice. In a closet. With only the tools at hand. They set about building on the foundation that Janice and Clifford had laid, tidying up crepe paper streamers and making miniscule adjustments to the buffet table full of gleaming platters. Most of the men tried to stay out of the way or risk being trampled.
“Oh, like hurry!” Janice pleaded. She looked around the chapel nervously, taking in the altar/podium shaped like a six-string guitar (Twelve-string facades available for a slightly higher fee.), the friends waiting to bear witness to the occasion, Clifford waiting at her side. In spite of her nervousness, she looked radiant in white, her face flushed with excitement.
“Yeah, man,” said Clifford. “If we don’t, like, do this now before Floyd comes then it will be too late. We do not want him walking in in the middle of—“
Rowlf wandered over to where Kermit stood with Robin, feeling more than a little uncomfortable in a wedding chapel. He scratched absently behind one long brown ear.
“I don’t know,” he said doubtfully. “I still think Janice should have told him first. Seems like a big shock to spring on Floyd after all this time.”
Kermit nodded and shrugged. He agreed with the assessment, but knew well that there was no reasoning with a woman in love. Besides, given his own matrimonial experience, he could hardly cry foul on someone else’s withholding of information. Thinking of that made him smile and follow Piggy’s bustling figure about the room. She had her end of the chapel well in hand, and Camilla was riding herd on her side, underlings fleeing before her. The girls from the chorus line, after the initial shock, had volunteered in unison to help.
“Just got the text” Scooter said urgently. “Hurry guys! We’ve got to be done before—“
Kermit mused idly that he probably would have had a few less, um, grey hairs if cell phones had been invented back when he and Piggy had tied the knot. There was a sudden flurry of movement and then Janice stepped up on the platform. She clutched Clifford’s arm nervously, and the big bass player leaned in and bussed her quickly on the cheek.
“It’s showtime, Lady J,” he said. “Just pretend you’re on stage.”
Janice laughed and looked up at him, her eyes dark with emotion. ‘Oh—I—“
The door in the back of the chapel was opening. As one, all eyes turned toward the door.

The hand under his elbow was firm. As much as Floyd wanted to turn from the command in that firm hand, he was glad for the support. He did not think he could bear what was on the other side of this door, but the door was opening anyway. Floyd closed his eyes, thinking of chords, thinking of the feel of the bass notes vibrating through his body, pushing out everything else but the music and—
“Surprise!”
“Congratulations!”
“Here’s the party guy himself!”
“Good job, Dr. Teeth—right on schedule!”
“Janice—hey, Janice! He’s here!”
And Janice was there, in his arms, her lithe body pressed up against his. Floyd was even more grateful for Dr. Teeth’s hand under his because he was thinking he might have fallen down without it. Floyd smelled the scent of her hair, her skin, looking around him dazedly at the sea of familiar and friendly faces without any comprehension at all. He could not think beyond the mystery of her—here--in his embrace, could not imagine what on—
“Happy Anniversary, Honeybunch!” Janice said. The split-second blur of tears over his eyes seemed to clear his vision, and with sudden, shocking clarity, he recognized what he was looking at and what it all meant. The streamers everywhere, the beach backdrop on the stage area, Janice’s oh-so-brief attire—it all snapped into focus for Floyd and his knees really did start to buckle.
But, like always, Janice had a firm hold on him, and she was pulling him, dragging him up to the stage, to stand on the department-store-bought sand in front of a fake sunset. She smiled up at him and he got his first genuinely good look at the bathing suit she wore. It was—it was just like the one she’d worn in Paris—the one they’d scavenged at a jumble shop, the one she’d been wearing when he had pledged, once and forever, to be her stand-up guy.
She was looking at him hopefully, seeing in his eyes that he got it, that he got her.
Of course he did—he always did.
Her skin beneath his hands was soft and smooth, and he smiled at the generous amount of it on display. Babe,” Floyd said softly. “Oh, babe.” Janice threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.
There was always something interesting to see in the Hard Rock Chapel of Eternal Jams. The party guests had quite a few moments to contemplate the food and the interesting things to see while Floyd Pepper found his place in the universe in the arms of his woman. At last, they broke apart to a great cacophony of cheers and shouts of congratulations, and the group surged around them. Sweetums bent down and swept up about six guests along with the happy couple, adding his hug to the others.
“Great party,” said Rizzo, his plate laden down for the second time.
“Hmmm,” said Gonzo. He watched Doctor Honeydew introduce Shantilla to Thoreau and saw her offer her hand. He saw Kermit with his arm around Piggy’s waist, waiting in line to thump Floyd on the back. He watched Sal carry two plates piled with hors d’oeuvres over to where Johnny leaned indolently against the wall. There was a sudden flash of brilliant white feathers and Gonzo’s eyes fastened on Camilla and watched her saunter across the floor to talk to Janice. He felt suddenly and overwhelmingly lonely, felt more than ever the uniqueness that was as much curse as blessing. He let out a sigh and felt someone slip their arm into his.
Surprised, Gonzo turned to find Mabel standing next to him, and could not keep himself from smiling.
“C’mon, you snappy dresser, you,” Mabel said, dragging him toward the food. “You get to be my date tonight.”
Gonzo felt his mouth twitch in amusement. “Well, gee, Mabel—this is so sudden.”
“Yeah—so count your blessings.” She squinted up at him, but Gonzo could see her dark eyes twinkling with mirth. “Haven’t you heard? I’m a hot commodity these days.”
Gonzo laughed, and the dark mood shattered. Lonely, indeed. He saw the room full of friends—some old, some new—and found it in his heart to be glad and grateful for the chance to spend his life with friends, doing what he loved.
“That’s what I hear,” Gonzo said. “Of course, I heard it from Rizzo and Pepe so I’m glad to have it confirmed.”
This time it was Mabel who laughed. “Touche,” she retorted. “Now, beat those furry feet and get me over to the buffet. How often does anybody cook for me?”

“So she’s going to do it,” said Doctor Honeydew, blinking myopically.
Pepe made a sound that might have been a snort. “Ju h’ever h’known Miss Piggy to pass up a chance be h’in the spotlight?” he said. Belatedly, he looked around for stray frogs or pigs or dressmakers that might not appreciate his assessment.
“Mee me me mee me meep meep mee meep?” Beaker inquired anxiously. Doc Honeydew looked up, his mouth full of canapés, but to his obvious relief Mabel stepped to the plate.
“Kid wants to know will she get back in time for the first half of the show?” the mole interpreted.
“Scooter says yes,” said Gonzo, which pretty well silenced any critics. If Scooter said so….

“Crepe paper,” said Thoreau, horrified. He ate a spinach puff, trying not to think about fat grams.
Beside him, Howard rolled his eyes. “Kischy,” he agreed. “And the upholstery is cheap.”
“Typical,” said Thoreau. “Did you get a load of the drapes?”
“Hmm,” said the choreographer. “Even you couldn’t make those drapes into anything but…drapes.”
“I don’t know,” said the designer thoughtfully. “I think Zoot has a suit made out of that stuff.”
There was a moment when decorum threatened to hold, then there were extremely undignified sniggers and snorts from that end of the room.
“But the suit looks good,” Thoreau said happily, his eyes following Janice’s figure, easily visible in the little bathing suit.
“Oh—the suit. The suit is fab. Of course, Janice makes everything look nice, doesn’t she?”
“Even that dress with the Christmas light on it,” Thoreau admitted dreamily. They watched Floyd and Janice sway in each others arms, so tuned to each other they might have been one soul.
“Nice couple,” said Howard generously.
Thoreau nodded. “Nice party.”

The party was breaking up. If they were going to make the show tonight, it was time to bag it and drag it.
Floyd felt…high, exhilarated, humbled and awed. He accepted Janice’s generous kiss and let her go long enough to gather her things and make good with the owners. Watching her, he couldn’t imagine how he’d been so wrong, couldn’t imagine what had made him think—
Someone tapped him on the shoulder in a peremptory manner, and Floyd turned and found himself staring up at a very unhappy bass player. Clifford wasted no time on preliminaries.
“Man, you are stupid,” he said belligerently. “What is the matter with you, thinking Janice was into anybody else?”
Floyd opened his mouth but could come up with nothing. He spread his hands helplessly.
“Look, man,” he began. “I owe you an apology.”
“Straight,” said Clifford, eyes dark and glowering. Something very like a twinkle was starting in those dark eyes. “Of course, if Janice was looking for someone else—“
The speed with which Floyd was on him surprised them both, but Clifford let out a great whoop of laughter and turned his friend’s grapple into a crushing bear hug. He thumped Floyd soundly on the back while the red haze faded from the bass player’s eyes.
“You guys!” said Janice, and they spun guiltily to face her. “What are you doing Floyd?”
But Clifford had that covered as well. “He’s just thanking me for all my help with the party, weren’t you man?”
“Wha—um, yeah,” muttered Floyd, grateful that Clifford hadn’t revealed his lapse. He started to release the dread-locked musician, but before he could, the big muppet leaned in and whispered in Floyd’s ear.
“Stupid,” he repeated amiably, just loud enough for Floyd’s ears. “But very lucky.”
After Clifford had gone, Janice slipped her warm little hand into Floyd’s, liking the feel of his fingers interlaced with hers.
“Happy Anniversary,” she said. “Were you surprised?”
“Shattered,” said Floyd, then he smiled. “But in a good way.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah... *Falls into rapture. The perfect thing to end a Friday the 13th. Guess it proved to be lucky for someone after all. Wonder when the rest of the gang will spot the update. Oh well... Thanks Aunt Ru. Was going to say that I understand if your own family takes you away from posting this glorious fictional romp. You are after all a lively mother of your own brood... And sometimes each one demands tending to... Even when other external factors weigh upon your personage. I'm speaking on this after a whirlwind of emotions and errands and everything else that pounced on my own mom jus recently. So please know we appreciate that you can take the time to post, imparting your wonderful take on such a monumental Muppety manuscript.

*Hugs to thee. Oh, and I believe the next chapter is #63 if that helps.
:batty: