1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Sep 23, 2010.

?

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    79.0%

1. mishymoogrover

mishymoogrover New Member

I don't think Katie Perry should have been cut because of her outfit. It really wasnt' all that bad. But the song and her acting were horrible so I am glad that it didn't make it for that reason.
  2. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

As Charleton Heston would say,

"Boobs don't kill people. People who are boobs kill people"

;)

(I got that quote from a video on Youtube, forgot the user's name though)
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't see why that's never an issue, and presumably okay. It seems we're moving past that, but how come skit in question is so full of evil it has to be pulled, and I can go out and find belly shirts for 4 year olds that have Playboy Bunnies or the Penthouse logo or "Spoiled rotten" written on it? Really. Remember when everyone was idolizing Paris Hilton? And what about Bratz dolls? I thought they had to get rid of those... not for that reason, but Mattel successfully sued MGA.

Heh, I always ask that. But that's something that requires a debate not suitable here.

Personally, I still hate the whole "human body is evil" bit. Sure, there are 4 things on a woman's body I wouldn't be comfortable having my hypothetical kids see (and I see at least 2 of them in socially acceptable dress), and none of them are even shown here. SW did a decent job covering her up if you actually READ the story and watch the segment.

That said, I don't think they should ever show women's feet again. There are a lot of perverted YT'ers out there that were drooling inappropriately at Gabby's toes that one time.
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I watched it. I don't see the big deal. It's a fun, cute video and is just another opportunity for a handful of outrageous claims to censor something fun. Really, kids that would be watching this will be playing along with Elmo over looking at what the adult audience is seeing.
  5. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

exactly. adults need to know that kids don't even pay attention to that stuff. they don't think like adults or teenagers.
  6. DreeRAWRScooter

DreeRAWRScooter New Member

What's the big deal?
    Why would they cut that? It's oversensoring and it's wrong. Only perverted adults look there. Children look at her FACE, not her BREASTS.
    Children see a "grown-up" wanting to dress up with Elmo. Children don't see a "****" or a "whore."
    That being said, this political correctness is driving me crazy! Do we really have to delete EVERYTHING just because a few over-conservative viewers voice themselves?
  7. Drtooth

I've been asking that for years. Everyone just wants to have the great feeling of taking something down I guess, or they want to pass on the same "values" (read: backward, xenophobic ideals) on to their kids, so they can grow up afraid of everything (and easily manipulated by the party of their choice).

This isn't even political correctness... more like the opposite. The PC'ers took awy half the old sketches and FORCED them to put yoga sketches. No.. not ones that mock yoga, almost deriding it as new age nonsense that upper class gentrified neighborhood dwellers go to. Actual Yoga segments. I'm sorry, but if anything SHOULD be banned, it's these obvious commercials for yoga. What ever happened to kids playing in dirt? No. It's all about Mommy and Me Yoga classes now. That burns me up.
  8. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

9. DreeRAWRScooter

DreeRAWRScooter New Member

PC'ers make me so sad. I mean, what happened to Cookie Monster being able to... ACTUALLY EAT COOKIES WITHOUT BEING QUESTIONED? And yes, it's a form of retrogression. They should leave entertainment alone. It's not like Katy Perry came in wearing a bra and fish-nets.
  10. Drtooth

There is a differnce. PCr's actually WOULDN'T have a problem with Katy's dress. They might actually defend it. But make no mistake. I'm no fan of them either. There's just so much that happened on SS because of the PC movement that had negative effects. One of the new producers in the 90's had complaints about the Chicken King segment because a chicken should only play a chicken, drawing an imaginary parallel between that and racism, I guess.

The Veggie monster fiasco, which WAS blown out of proportion by media sensationalism (I love loud, obnoxious, Grouchy news, don't you. I'm not even singling anyone one out. They're all like that no matter what), happened mainly because of scared spitless parents worrying about the hyped up obesity "epidemic" (a media term that sounds a lot sexier than saying "problem of laziness combined with the overindulgence and or being financially prone to terrible foods.") Plus, they were doing damage control for having evil vile nasty McD's as a sponser (oh, and a Bank and Healthcare provider are that much less corporate).

All and all, over zealous parents from either side of the aisle (overly PC obsessive lefties, overly righty "values" mongers and everyone in between that can't deal with stuff) just don't understand kids, what they like, what they want, and what's not good for them to see. It's like I always say, there's more effort getting guns off Batman than our streets. Kiddy programming is the most over regulated thing in our country. That said, I absolutely LOVE the teenagers who feel that the fact there's no rape scene in Yu-Gi-Oh and the fact they had to color Popo blue is all on purpose to personally attack them. :rolleyes:
  11. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I just want to say at my school, the weekly news TV thing talked about the contraversary. That was the highlight of the school day for me!
  12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I thought her acting was okay. At the very least, it was better than her acting in that SNL sketch (though the poor acting could have been intentional).
  13. BradFraggle

BradFraggle Member

When I first saw the clip (before the controversy) I, like the producers of the show, didn't see anything wrong or even concerning with Katy's outfit.

Maybe I'm desensitized. Maybe I'm not as concupiscent, hung-up, overprotective or hypersensitive. But I really see nothing wrong with the outfit.

Does Disney get complaints because of outfits like this, this or this walking around their parks? Are the parents that are upset over Katy's appearance also upset over these costumes and protesting Disney as well?

While I'm sadden that Sesame Street caved to the outcry from the online fringe, I understand why they did what they did. They don't need a group of upset people (even a small group of wackos) getting all riled up and presuring their congressman and making trouble for public television. ("I don't want my tax dollars going toward exposing my kids to that 'smut'!")

Both Katy and Elmo (and Sesame Workshop) seem to be on good terms and taking the whole silly situation with a smile. I hope Perry and Sesame work together in the future (and just wears something less controversal).

And for the record (since it came up before) Sesame doesn't provide wardrobe. They want the celebrities to be themselves (and the way Katy dressed was right in line with her regular look/style -- just run a Google image search for Katy Perry and you'll find that her Sesame outfit is in the same style as her normal garb, if not even more modest than normal). Ricky Gervais blogged about the wardrobe conditions when he was on the show:
  14. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Since I read your post a few minutes ago, I checked out the sketch and I thought it was hilarous! Much more than I expected. It made some good pionts too.
  15. Drtooth

"...But I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going to pumping up the economy of an ungrateful foreign power we wuz buddies with by killin' innocent mothers and babies!"

Yeah. We have to protect our morals. :rolleyes:

The one bright spot in this whole thing, that's one less reason for the neo-con(vict)s to steal tax funding from PBS and put it into the hands of the very same banks we were mad at bailing out.

They realize how small their contribution is... right?
  16. I haven't seen the video yet, but I can already tell you, that's crud.

Thank you, YouTube commenters. :rolleyes: :mad:
  17. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Y'know...I'm surprised no one has mentioned these clips yet. They were made years before the Katy Perry sketch. While there is no cleavage, you can't deny they are somewhat suggestive in their own way. There's no Muppet character for the kids to be distracted by. It's as if Pepe the King Prawn filmed these sketches. Katy showed a lot less leg in her song, too...five times as less, in fact.

Convincing John
  18. mummytomb

mummytomb Member

I watched SS as a kid. I liked boobs. still do. I watched waiting for one of them to pop out. i'm sure i would have done the same at age 5.
  19. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  20. MuppetsFan4Life

MuppetsFan4Life Active Member

I saw the video for the song this weekend and I couldn't get the song out of my head! It was so addicting (but then again, what in Muppets isn't addicting) and I kept singing it and singing it. It's a really catchy song, and I don't really know what the big problem is! I think that whoever made the decision not to show it is too afraid to expose children to such clothing and "exposure", but in all honesty, it's not as bad as they made it out to be.