1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Jim Henson's Red Book

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by zns, Sep 24, 2010.

1. zns

zns Active Member

Once again, the Henson Company has pulled out all the stops this year, not just with the surprising DVD releases, but with a new feature on their website. Enjoy. :)
  2. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Oh my - how many fans have wanted access or some type of publication of these for ages? This is a very exciting gift to the fans and a nifty way to celebrate his birthday!

(But of course how many of us would love to see his blue book or his little black book) :)
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I hope that excerpts from his book concerning his Muppet and Sesame Street projects will/ can be reprinted (i'd really love to see journal entries on the filming of Follow That Bird, as well as his involvement with those claymation segments from the first season).

Though I am a bit confused... It said he started this in 1965, but made notes before that... It's also interesting that he stopped in 1988 (maybe we'll see notes on InnerTube but I guess we won't learn much else about The Jim Henson Hour).
  4. matleo

matleo Active Member

Am I missing something? I'm o nthe website but don't see what you're talking about?

--Matt
  5. minor muppetz

This is what I'm referring to, at the top of the page:

6. minor muppetz

I had already found the blog via Tough Pigs but when navigatng henson.com I couldn't find any links to it on that site (interestingly, this was the first time in a long time I've been at henson.com, and was surprised to see that the website still has pages for various Muppet productions).

Anyway, here's the website: http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/
  7. zns

zns Active Member

It's wonderful to know just how much his legacy is kept intact thanks to his family and from people like Karen Falk and Craig Shemen.
  8. minor muppetz

At first I thought this was just supposed to word-for-word copy excerpts from the book, but after reading a few it seems to just describe parts of the book. It refers to Jim in second person form, and refers to things that happen at later dates.
  9. matleo

matleo Active Member

he part at the top kind of written in marker-like gont is the part from Jim's journal. The rest of the text is a more detailed explanation of the entry written (presumably) by Karen Falk, Craig Shemin, et al. it is fascinating to see a lot of it.

I love the picture of Jane, Don, and Jerry J performing on Ed Sullivan. You don't often see a lot of photos of either Jane or Don to begin with and photos of them performing are even rarer.

--Matt
  10. zns

zns Active Member

What's throwing me off though is that there are entries for things including shoothing spots for Southern Bread and a VTR presentation in 1987. All they have are the titles of those posts and nothing else. No text, pictures, or videos. What is that supposed to mean anyway?
  11. minor muppetz

If anything they are good for those interested in taping dates (my assumption is that the 1987 VTR presentation is the InnerTube pilot but I don't know for sure). While it's helpful for Muppet Wiki purposes, I'd rather see big amounts of information.
  12. minor muppetz

Here's an entry about the first taping of Sesame Street sketches.

http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/2010/09/29/9291969/

Oddly enough, it says "Filming begins on CTW Show", and it's dated September 1969... I would have thought filming of inserts would have begun earlier, before the summer test pilots. Also, it refers to it as "CTW Show", as opposed to Sesame Street... That may have made sense before the test pilots when they still didn't know what the title would be, but it comes off odd in this case.
  13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I believe it means the Muppet inserts seen throughout season 1.
  14. ToasterBoy

ToasterBoy Member

I'll be interviewing Allyson Smith (Head of New Media) and Karen Falk (Henson Archives) about the Jim Henson's Red Book site.

If you have any questions about the project, please send them to podcast [at] henson . com or through the Twitter Feed at http://www.Twitter.com/HensonPodcast

I'm interviewing Allyson on Friday and Karen sometime next week, possibly as early as Tuesday, so get your questions in!

Thanks!
  15. minor muppetz

I was just looking at the website and only now noticed the part that mentioned that Jim Henson put one-word journal entries on what he did each day. Now it makes sense that these are small entries, with occasional elaborated detailed information added.

I thought I read that Henson kept detailed notes of every production he worked on. If so and it's not lost I'd like to see excerpts from his more detailed notes as a blog.
  16. ToasterBoy

ToasterBoy Member

This week I'll be interviewing archivist Karen Falk about the Jim Henson's Red Book site! Send in your questions and I'll get them asked!

email - podcast [at] henson . com or go through the Twitter Feed at http://www.Twitter.com/HensonPodcast
  17. zns

zns Active Member

Thanks for letting us know about this. As a matter of fact, I have three questions please:

1. What inspired the idea of bringing up Jim Henson's personal notes from his red book onto the internet? Will they ever be published in book form?

2. Considering all of the early work that is written about in the red book, will there ever be a DVD release off all of these great films and pieces did? Would such things include early guest apperances, comercials, variety show sketches, short films, Muppet specials, etc.? (it's off-topic, but I just wanted to ask)

3. Will these entries ever be published in book form? (odd since they're already online, but just a simple thought)

Hope some of these questions are good starters. Thanks again for bring this up. It's absolutely wonderful to see all of this from Jim's point of view on what he was doing. :):):)
  18. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

So Jim invented Twitter. :)
  19. minor muppetz

I've just noticed that the dates of all journal entries posted correspond with whatever dates the entries are posted on the website.
  20. ToasterBoy

ToasterBoy Member

Totally thought of this during part one of the interview I did. I joked that these are almost like Jim's Facebook Status updates. :)