"It's Passover, Grover" on PBS Monday March 25

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was pretty good. You can really tell this was meant for a much younger audience than the original series. I like how to a minimum they kept the dubbed clips, focusing on the real subject matter. Kinda wish Moishe was in it more, though. And that Matzoh in the House thing really feels like an unintended extra Sesame Street Dinner Theater segment. And it's kinda better than most of them.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
It was pretty good. You can really tell this was meant for a much younger audience than the original series. I like how to a minimum they kept the dubbed clips, focusing on the real subject matter. Kinda wish Moishe was in it more, though. And that Matzoh in the House thing really feels like an unintended extra Sesame Street Dinner Theater segment. And it's kinda better than most of them.
I agree with you, Drtooth. I liked the main storyline and it was a great Muppet way to celebrate Passover. :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, seeing the whole special actually puts the Matzoh in the House number into context. I had absolutely no idea why they hid that stuff and why they had to look for it (other than the fact that you have to eat it that holiday).

I wish they'd put the other Shalom Sesame episodes on PBS. They're fun to watch, but not 20 bucks per DVD to buy for a single episode fun.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think the prices of the newer episodes are horrid, especially because they're 30 minutes or less and have almost no bonuses (some do, some don't).

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I wish they'd put the other Shalom Sesame episodes on PBS. They're fun to watch, but not 20 bucks per DVD to buy for a single episode fun.
They put the Chanukah episode on PBS before during November and December. It would be nice that these three episodes would air on the following dates.

January 16: Grover Plants a Tree
March 16: Be Happy, it's Purim
May 14: Countdown to Shavuot

I'm not sure about the other episodes airing on PBS because they don't deal with Jewish Holidays.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is that they're a niche market thing. I actually did see classic Shalom's Chanukah special that one time at Best Buy and sometimes at Barnes and Nobel stores that still sell DVD's. Wal*Mart wouldn't touch the things even if they slapped Elmo all over the covers. These DVD's are strictly limited to online sales and Jewish Book Stores, and that does explain the higher price. For the license and distribution, they don't intend to sell many of them, and that's how they get their money back. Of course, it works the other way too. They're too pricey and hard to find for casual, non-Jewish fans. At least a TV airing makes these more accessible. And if PBS didn't ruin their pledge months for all the reasons I've said and you've gotten sick of me complaining about, these DVD's would make excellent pledge gifts if they aired the series as pledge month specials.

I think that's what they did with the original 80's series. I lost that tape and I don't even have a VCR anymore.

Katzi428

Reaction score
The show has been on for 40 + years. Why haven't Passover , Chanukah (OK I know that Chanukah and was mentioned earlier in in this this this decade and a brief " Happy Chanukah" to Mr. Hooper" in "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street") but still they should mentioned more to be fair with Jewish families over the years, right? Plus Ramadan for Indian families? (There's an Indian character named Layla now if I'm not mistaken .Did I spell her name wrong? )

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whoah.

Ramadan is an Islamic Holiday. Not Indian.

To be fair, Christmas was rarely used in the series as well, outside of Christmas specials and a Sesame Street News Flash segment.