I need advice

camillachick

Reaction score
I need to vent a little too. I am getting married in July to an awesome guy. I am having Thanksgiving at his parents' house. I want to have him to my house for Christmas, but my parents want me to come alone one last time. This is really bumming me out and I don't know whether to go home without him and be a little sad, or go with him to his house and miss my own family. All I really wanted was to have him with me and see my parents, but it seems like I can either have one or the other or neither. If I have neither I will be alone and sad but at least I won't make anyone else depressed. What should I do? I need to call my mom back tomorrow (11/22/03) or the next day and I'm afraid I'll end up crying.

camillachick

Reaction score
Forgot to add that we both live 3hrs from my parents' and 4hrs from his.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Here is a suggestion...you could go home to your family on christmas and then the next day go over to your fiance's family...or half and half meaning half of the day with your parents and then the rest at his....just a thought..but be prepared for a long drive either way...hope this helps..

-Sandee :smile:

Beebers

Reaction score
The Holidays

This kind of thing is precisely why many people just plain give up visiting relatives of any type at the holidays.

You should not have been placed in such a position. You can only do one of two things: the dreaded half-and-half Visiting System, which always involves too much stress, too much travel and leaves one wondering what it's all about,
or, find a romantic B and B or other accommodations and have yourselves a Merry Christmas or Happy Turkey Day or anything you want to have, just the two of you. Lots of people actually do this. I'd go with Plan B, having found myself in my share of Awkward Stressful Holiday Dilemmas.
Also, you can always get the Flu, which can sometimes be preferable.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Why not celebrate Thanksgiving at both places on different days. IN some families that I know, they wait until Saturday and the other does it on Sunday. That way, it's not on the holiday and it doesn't crowd or confuse other families or cause someone to be exempt from the festivities. I would say he should be able to go, you went there for Thanksgiving alone last year.

Why do they want you alone? He messed up or something--can't eat while lookin' at 'im? (Just kidding about this part.)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I could understand them wanting you alone - their last chance to have Christmas kinda how it was when you were kids. I imagine that's something really hard to let go of.
Erin

camillachick

Reaction score
Thanks for all your support and advice. I ended up calling my mom and telling her how sad I would be missing my man and she relented and is going to let me bring him with me. I think it is hard for my folks to let go of Christmas with just us kids, but things are changing and I think it was more important to them that I was happy. In addition to this I am going to attend a "Polish Christmas Party" with most of my man's relations on the Saturday prior to Christmas so I can meet them as well.