Humans and Fraggles...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
If I recall, Sprocket used charades to teach Doc about the word "Fraggles". I'm not too sure, though. And Matt does kinda blend in with all the other weird creatures sitting all around.

The Fraggles don't really seem to acknowledge Doc either, even though at least Gobo should be surprised to see him there, even if it's before he learns Doc's name. Only Matt looks up at Doc and Sprocket, but they're all just in a happy singing mood, so it's hard to tell if there's any recognition.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Ah, I see. I haven't seen the last season, so I don't know how they finally meet *embarrassed*

Redsonga

Reaction score
Here's some insight I had about Traveling Matt a while back. It might help with the topic.

Convincing John
I actually don't think Doc could see Gobo at all before they touched, even as a mouse, a dustbunny or a shadow. I think this is because he is a very logical, facts based person (even though he is very nice) and so even the idea of little magic anythings only his dog can see is sort of locked out of his mind and eyes...

If anyone has read my fanfics they know I think that Gobo's parents were some of the first fraggles in the human world, with Cantus being the very first. My idea is that, (a little like yours') once humans could see fraggles, but after Cantus found out about their very evil side, he used his being in touch with the magic to put in the 'they have to see to see' loop hole, and so most humans see them as people, or with younger ones like the five, teens. But there is still another loop hole around that protection that I just thought of a few months ago for my Where the Wild Wind Blows story, it has to do with what they get in 'touch' about:embarrassed:. With Doc it was love and saddness..

Collgoff

Reaction score
Didnt Doc get a letter from Kermit in one episode? If so, maybe it's just one universe that all muppets exist in alongside humans (talking hypothetically that is).
Maybe it's a diffrent Kermit and yes he did!

Collgoff

Reaction score
Ahh...Hmmm...I always figured it took place somewhere in the middle of the series, before Doc had met Gobo.
I think he was pertanting to do that so Doc and Sprocket can keep the fraggle as a secret from everybody else.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Since this thread was bumped, figure I'll toss my thoughts in here. I think that Traveling Matt's visibility can sort of be explained by the whole "everything's magic, if you choose to see it that way" philosophy of the show. Perhaps the people who were able to see Matt were people who simply chose to see the magic in their everyday lives, and therefore had the ability to see fraggles. I know that falls apart a little bit when you think of all the people who get angry at him (there's the guy who chases him around after he throws a bucket of water on them, and he gets thrown around countless amounts of times), but there are enough people who help him out.

The biggest quandary for me involving Uncle Matt is how those postcards actually got to the house to begin with. Somebody working for the post office must have definitely been sympathetic to the magic of fraggles.

robodog

Reaction score
There may be some sort of magical masquerade going on. Some, maybe those more in touch with things like imagination and magic see Matt for what he really is while others who aren't in touch just see a wierd short human. Either way the Fraggles have us pegged. I can't think of a better term than "Silly Creatures" for the human race.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The biggest quandary for me involving Uncle Matt is how those postcards actually got to the house to begin with. Somebody working for the post office must have definitely been sympathetic to the magic of fraggles.
My question is how Uncle Matt, who has raised obliviousness to an art form, actually figured out how postcards work. He doesn't grasp the concept of money, so how does he get stamps? How did he find out Doc's address? Who explained "mail" to him, come to that? These are all things that you wouldn't expect a Fraggle to understand.

Collgoff

Reaction score
My question is how Uncle Matt, who has raised obliviousness to an art form, actually figured out how postcards work. He doesn't grasp the concept of money, so how does he get stamps? How did he find out Doc's address? Who explained "mail" to him, come to that? These are all things that you wouldn't expect a Fraggle to understand.
A mistrey!

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think that Fraggle Rock is set in the same universe as the main Muppet stuff, so I always just assumed that the Silly Creatures not noticing Matt was a combination of them mistaking him for a human with dwarfism due to his size, and Matt possibly embellishing some of the details in his postcards, so what you see and hear what Gobo reads them might now always be what really happened. :confused: