Human Proportioned Puppet

RockerRob

Reaction score
I'm toying around with the idea of a 1:3 scale human proprtioned puppet for my next puppet. He will be a US WWII Army infantryman PFC complete with uniform, boots, pack, gear, helmet, and rifle. (To skip the bulk and get to the point, scroll down to the **.)

I will make everything from scratch because I doubt I'll find the quality and scale I am looking for anywhere. The unirorm and packs will be patterned off origoinal photos and a couple things I already have (kid's clothing patterns for scale?), and I will make the helmet and rifle from foam, resin, and most likely some bondo (metal glaze and the rapid prototype machine if I can). Boots out of leather and glue, or something else (I'll come up with something when I get to that bridge). Then I will age and dirty things up to make it look like he's seen a lot of action.

Before I make all his gear, I've got to have a body to put it on. (And now I think outloud:smile: He should have limbs of the correct scale in length and muscule tone, and I would like him to have a lightweight skeleton so he isn't bendy like Gumby. I was thinking of fabricating thin cardboard tubes for the limb bones with elastic to act as tendons in the joints for realistic movement (It would look a little unprofessional if his knees bent the wrong way). Over the skeleton, I want to make foam muscules as seen in "The Foam Book". As for the skin, I want to give him something that has stretch, but not fleece, so I think that faux sueade would work in a skin tone. I want his face to be realistic, but not real enough that he actually looks like a little man, more stylized human face.

Now I really do want to make this guy! He'll take me a month and a half, but he'd be worth it!

This is what I am thinking, and I would love to hear any suggestions or comments from you guys!

**Here's a list of things I would like input on if you don't want to ready that long paragraph:
-Light weight "skeleton"
-How to make realistic "muscules"
-Good covering that has stretch but still looks like "skin"
-Ways to make a stylized human "face"
-Patterns and techniques for scaling down clothes

Thanks in advance for the help.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
For making a realistic, light weight skeleton check out this tutorial on PuppetBuilding.com.

I don't think there is a fabric that really looks like skin; your best bet for that is probably latex or silicone. Google "Stop Motion Puppet Techniques" or something similar and you'll find a lot of good information.

To scale down clothing patterns, just put it on a photocopier and tell it the percentage you want it reduced by.

Does that help?

RockerRob

Reaction score
Thanks Buck. That skeleton's joint system is very helpful. I was thinking about a photo copier too.

I forgot to mention that this will be hand and rod puppet. I am not looking for complete realism with laytex, and cloth covering is okay by me.

Any tips on posable hands?

This is ambitious of me, and I am sure I will figure most it out when I get going. Any suggestions that you can think of would be immensely helpful in the mean time.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
For scaling down clothing, oh gosh, I used to know this...if the pattern is small enough you can run it through a copy machine with reduce by X%

I'll ask my mom for the old fashioned way. I think if you just trace the inside (grab an A frame sort of tool with a pen on one side & nothing on the other) so you get basically the same pattern, only smaller. I'll double-check.

Have you thought about carving insulation foam (styrofoam) for a lightweight body? You can get thick sheets of it at home depot, cement them together, then carve.

You might want to investigate some marionette jointing techniques for the legs. just a thought

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Make sure you give him one of those wicked awesome WWII Jeep Caps too!

RockerRob

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for contributing these great ideas! It is really helping me out.

Staceyrebecca, are you talking about blue foam? That stuff is great! I could defintely use that and I could buy or build a hotwire for extra easy carving.

As for clothing patterns I do have an M-41 field jacket, but I will not have full size examples or patterns for anything else, so I will have photos to go off of. It will be a challenge, but that seems to be what my subconcious wants me to do.

D'Snowth, a Jeep cap would be wicked awesome! I will have to scour baby stores and departments to find something like it, alter an adult size, or you can knit one for me!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
oh, I wasn't talking about the blue foam, but I'm sure it is indeed, great! The stuff our theater uses is just basically white styrofoam.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
D'Snowth, a Jeep cap would be wicked awesome! I will have to scour baby stores and departments to find something like it, alter an adult size, or you can knit one for me!
Hmm, I know original jeep caps were knitted in four different sizes, perhaps a small would fit him pretty well? I hear small ones are really tiny, the only problem the originals are really, REALLY hard to find in good condition.

If you can't find one, the only thing I could suggest is maybe find a costume designer who could knit one for you?

RockerRob

Reaction score
White styrophome... that is cheaper... What do you use to carve that, surfom, knives, hotwire, or what?

The jeep cap would be awesome. I want it. I will look around at the caps that I know of like at atthefront.com or some other reenactor sites. I don't think I will go as far to have one custom knitted, but I will buy one and if it doesn't fit out of the box, then I can alter it down to size and just hope it doesn't look terrible.

Since I am terrible at math, I have just realized that my puppet will be 1/2 scale human, so he'll be 3 feet (or a little shoter) tall.

I haven't started on yet, but all your ideas are really helping me in the pre planning stage. Thank you so much for your imput and keep it coming!