Human Hand Puppet

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
My brother and I would like to make a human hand puppet ala Swedish Chef but I'm not exactly how to do that. Has anyone done such a thing and could clue me in on a pattern or methodology?

fishbone

Reaction score
yup

yeah, i made one,he's only got one arm butit's easy,since theres2 of you,im sure you no how too control it, you can buy a or use an old shirt &cut the arms off &make a 4 finger glove xtra large out of puppet skin you use for puppet,attatch it to the sleevesyou might need velcro to keep them in place.you or your bro can move the mouth&one hand &you or him do the other,get it?it's really easy,

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Thanks for replying,

Do the human arms begin at the puppet's elbows then?

Should the sleeve be stuffed where there is no arm? I guess I could make it without stuffing and add if needed, though.

puppet builder

Reaction score
Arms & Elbows

Yes, arms entering at the elbows is the traditional way of doing it.

As far as stuffing the upper arms goes, it's up to you. More precisely, depends on the look and type of motion you want to get out of it during performance.

Do an empty test run. If you like, go with it. You can always stuff the arms later.

Good Luck!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Another approach is to have the puppeteer's arm enter the puppet's arm at or just below the wrist or mid-forearm.