1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Homemade Grover at eBay

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by zoetrope, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

You know it's not a bad looking puppet and kudos for making a point of actually putting "Homemade" in the item name. Although auctions like these are technically against ebay's TOS there's absolutely no attempt here to mislead potential buyers in to thinking it's something that it's not which we've seen occasionally in the past.

Also - someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but anyone listing puppets they've made on ebay should specify that they are not a toy because I believe you have to pass certain safety tests to sell an item as a toy in the United States. I believe puppets are subject to the "Stuffed Articles Act" or some such law if they're sold as toys. Selling them as a professional item or "theatrical prop" (which I've done in the past) means you can still sell them to whoever wants them and you're also probably covering your butt legally in case (God forbid) an eye pops off and chokes someone.
  2. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

I think that law only applies to politicians. :o
  3. doctort13

doctort13 Member

The Fisher-Price Grover puppet that we had as kids looked more like Grover than this hack-pro knock-off!

$75!!! #@!* :grouchy:
  4. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

gee thanks for the encouragement, FYI, I had a reserve of like $500 , I did not plan on selling it, I just wanted to see what kind of response I got from the auction. I can see some of you have very kind personalities and others well stink , thanks
  5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I think it's pretty decent, but may I give some suggestions? Just a little creative criticism. His eyes look a little unfocused, which is a big deal. the eyes of a puppet are the most important thing, they symbolize what the character is like. Also, I know noses are hard, trut me, but this one seems just a little off. With a little practice, this guy could look peachy neat.
  6. Beebers

Beebers New Member

I agree, and please don't stop mocking the ebay auctions, someone's GOT to do it.

;)
  7. Beebers

Beebers New Member

ROFL.

:D
  8. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

I hope I'm not in the stinky catagory. :concern:
  9. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I just re-read this thread and I have to make a comment about something. We already know that when someone does it it's copyright infringement, but we still end up saying the same thing every time we see one of these. Personally, when I made a Mahna-Mahna puppet I was torn as to offer it up as an ebay sale item or in a trade, and I chose a trade because I didn't want to get hacked to death by my friends around here!

Ryan's post in this thread was a breath of fresh air, explaining the magic-triangle (eye focus in association with the nose) and offering constructive criticism. I still say you're cheating yourself starting the price at $75, but now that you mention that you didn't want to sell it anyways it makes sense.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're always so negative toward folks who make Muppets and sell them off on ebay or wherever (me included in the negative front) and what we should do is be more constructive toward how they build these things, and REINFORCE their puppet making abilities so maybe they WILL begin making their own creations! We can easily say we don't like that they are making puppets of Muppets and selling them in only a few words, but let's stop bashing people over it and start trying to convince them to make their own creations.

Anybody with me on this or am I all alone?
  10. zoetrope

zoetrope New Member

I'm with you as long as it means I'm not one of the stinky people.
    ;)
  11. Fozzie Bear

Just take a bath and you'll be okay; but for now... :o
  12. Beebers

Beebers New Member

*buys case of Scrubbing Bubbles and deodorant*

:D :D :D
  13. Fozzie Bear

*grabs dishwashing detergent and turns on the sprinkler; douses self in soap and jumps through the sprinkler*

Whee!! :)
  14. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

Wouldn't it just be easier to head over to the hot tubs? We have a shower set up somewhere...
  15. DPuppets

DPuppets Member

Great Post Fozzie....I said that just a few post before. But, I think people take it better from someone who post more than a newbie. I do agree with what you are saying.
  16. Fozzie Bear

Or just dump some Palmolive in the hot tub and turn on the jets! YAY!!

I think this thread has officially been muffined...
  17. Kremit De Forg

Kremit De Forg New Member

To me, it looks like a fun toy. I would give an A for effort. He doesn't have that thick terry-cloth look to him as the real thing. But considering it's homemade-- not a bad project. I just wouldn't have put it on eBay-- considering what the previous comments have stated (illegal). :attitude: