Hmmm. Curious...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Okay. The rule is "'I' before 'E' except after 'C', or when sounding like 'A' in 'neighbor' or 'weigh'." Now, why in the world is Weird and Weirdo with an 'ei' rather than an 'ie' when the rule goes as such? Did I miss part of the rule?

Danielle

Reaction score
same thing with ''their''... I never believed in that rule... and it got me a 740 on my SAT verbals :wink:

:smirk::excited:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
That's very true. I used "weird" as the example because it seemed so fitting for this forum.

So, I guess we all know now that the schooling system of the US, as well as the screwed up spelling of us Americans, is flawed. I've finally proven it! No mo' school fo' nobody!

I can sepll ikle 'is if'n I wanna!

:embarrassed:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Aw, nuts! My mom just told me it goes on to include a list of acceptions! Dang it!

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
It's spelled weird because it's weird. If it was spelled wierd, then that wouldn't be very weird. Spelling it weird fits the definition.
You know what? Abnormal looks too phonetic (sp?), and thus normal. We should change it to abnormel.
Okay that's enough of that from straang, bazar, crasee, nutts, kukoo, freiky little ol' me.
:concern: :crazy:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was about to post something prevalent but then it sunk in what you were saying.

Good call, scoot.

wockawocka

Reaction score
Well, that rule is just weird, and my last name doesn't fit it: Krein. In less of course... you say Rac hel Krein! Lol, see the "c" there! :big_grin:
Sorry! :embarrassed:

EmmyMik

Reaction score
That sound you just heard was my head exploding.

I hate English. I hate grammer. I hate spelling. It is pointless and stupid.

(that's actually my new song that I just now made up. Reading it isn't the same as me singing it in my 4 year-old like way)

Danielle

Reaction score
OH MY GOSH!!!

EmmyMik, your signature is from the Butter Battle Book, isn't it??? That's my absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book OF ALL TIME!!! Before now, I didn't know of anyone who'd even HEARD of it, let alone read it or seen the cartoon!!

Sorry for going off-topic, that just cheered me up immensely =D

:smirk::excited:

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I LOVE that book! Butter Battle Book forever!!!

(Of course, the reason I read it in the first place is because, as a kid, I had a strange obsession with children's books featuring/involving food...but that's another story for another time...)