Help Making Horns for a Monster Puppet Needed

Fabe

Reaction score
Hi!

I just started down the long road of making puppets. My current project is a monster with horns. However, I'm having problems with coming up with a pattern for them. I'm using the Roly pattern from projectpuppet.com, so I have the head done and ready to go (currently I'm working on the fur). I know that I'm going to fill them with polyfill, which is probably the way to go. I considered using make-up sponges, but I don't think that I could get the right shape. I was thinking of the shape that the horns have on the Whatnot you can get at FAO Schwarz.

I also read on this forum to sew two triangle shaped pieces together but I do want round horns and (maybe because I'm lacking experience) I don't think that is possible. Also, since I haven't gotten any fleece yet, just my monster fur, I was wondering if it is advisable to use felt (of which I have some pieces that would be enough for the size I'm going for.

It'd be great if you guys could help me out :smile:.

Fabe

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Basically what I've done with horns is I have done it with patterns: I made a slightly curved, yet pointy pattern, and I've used felt rather than fleece. Fleece, to me, is good for things like fabricating the skull, torso, limbs, etc, but for features like horns, felt is a little sturdier of fabric, so I think it works a little better. I also just basically use regular commercial stuffing to fill them, like what's used for stuffed animals and such, however, you have to be careful with the stuff, because sometimes you can pack it with your hands a little too tightly, and then when you stuff it in the features, it can look rather lumpy.

Now, I don't claim to be a great, or even a good puppet builder, but at the same time, you are new to this, so I figure I can at least offer you some pointers that aren't quite so complicated, so hopefully you can continue with your construction process with a bit of ease.

But yeah, as far as horns go, feel free to take a look at my site or YouTube channel just to see for yourself, since both of my main monsters have horns.

Fabe

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, I figured that felt might be a better idea since it's sturdier. However, I can't really imagine how to actually draw the pattern. Maybe it's because I'm new to this. Could you give me some pointers (no pun intended :wink: ) regarding the shape of the pattern?

Fabe

Reaction score
I figured it out :smile:. I just used a broad tongue shape and sewed it together. Worked like a charm. Proud of my first creation :smile:.

Guff Darnit

Reaction score
I have recently ventured inot the exciting realm of puppet making. After making a generic sock puppet and a shoebox puppet I am currently working on a glorified sock puppet. I like monsters and so this was going to be a monster and was hoping to give him horns. Thanks to this thread I now have an idea as to how to do it. Thanks guys!