Help For A Beginner?

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I'd like to make a Muppet replica next year, so I have time to gather the things I need, but I know nothing. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to puppet building. I'd like to learn a lot this year, so I'm ready to start a replica next year. I'd like to start with Kermit, but I'm thinking that'd be tough, since I've never even sewn anything. I know I have a lot to learn, but I feel it'd be great to carry my very own puppet around with me, and maybe make someone happy with whoever it may be. Please let me know if anyone would be willing to help me and give me advice. Thank you very much!

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
I guess I will be the first to say that Project Puppet is a great place to start. They have great Patterns and tutorials for those just starting out. This forum is the perfect place to learn alot of the ins and outs of building a replica. There is also a lot of really helpful tutorials on Youtube. Good luck. My 2 cents is that I started with a certain red monster because I thought Fur would be more forgiving. It had its own challenges and I learned alot from the act of doing it. Find reference you like and blow it up on a copier to match your hand size. this will help with everything from eye size to amount of fabric. All the best DT

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I'll have to check Project Puppet out, buy some patterns, try a few, and see if I'm any good at it soon. Thank you! When I eventually get around to making a Muppet replica, it will either be Kermit or Elmo, although I'd probably make Elmo look like the original puppet. Thanks for the advice!

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
Supposedly the simple sock puppet pattern is a good start for a Kermit. I believe it takes some modification but I think if you get to know Kermit's specs you could probably figure out where to adjust. Plus there are quite a few people on this forum who have gone this road before. Search through the old posts and you will find a lot to work off. Take a look at the Henson stitch. You will need it for Sewing up Kermit and hiding the seams. I used the Monstro puppet pattern for my Elmo and it was almost perfect.