Has a New Law Been Passed or Something?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For the past week and a half, or so, no matter where we go, no matter what we buy, the cashier/clerk/waiter/attendant/whoever asks "May I see your I.D. please?"... I mean, even if your buying something that isn't a alcoholic drink or a pack of cigarettes or a box of cigars! Mom and I went to the mall the other day, we went to Auntie Anne's for some pretzels and Dutch Ice, "Can I see your I.D. please?"; we went to Hot Topic because my dad suddenly wishes to be "cool" and wanted a wallet chain, "Can I see some I.D. please?" the night before that we went Outback Steakhouse, Mom got her a Bloody Mary (a non alcoholic tomato juice drink), "May I see your I.D.", and the same thing happened at Applebee's.

So what's up?

Redsonga

Reaction score
It might be because there has been a lot of card stealing due to times being harder with food/energy/house prices going up..We might be headed for another depression :frown:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It might be because there has been a lot of card stealing due to times being harder with food/energy/house prices going up..We might be headed for another depression :frown:
Well, this all could've been avoided if Bush hadn't stop making prices for everything increase, and making people's working salaries decrease.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, this all could've been avoided if Bush hadn't stop making prices for everything increase, and making people's working salaries decrease.
Well, I didn't vote for him :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Nope, definitely not me either, lol. I abstained out of protest. :wink:

But anyway, yeah I guess companies are being told to be more and more strict with the I.D. thing. I mean, all cashiers really should check to make sure a person's signature on their credit card matches the signature they give during the purchase. Identity theft is becoming such a problem. And actually, sometimes customers are pleased that a cashier bothered to check. They like to know there's some kind of protection from identity theft.

And uh, just my two cents, no matter how bad the economy is, it doesn't justify stealing someone's card. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And actually, sometimes customers are pleased that a cashier bothered to check.
Well I know that, Mom acts like a giddy little school girl each time someone asks to see her I.D., but I'm still like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised because I don't see it nearly enough.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Somebody asks me for my I.D., I'm just going to pause and say "This is me!"

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The problem with things like identification to help make things safer is that whole entire databases can be hacked and completely taken from entire franchise and some dishonest peron out these have have all your information. All it takes is a social security number for somebody to steal your and walk around with your identification. We all know that identity theft is a big problem now days and. It like the effort to make things safer for the public has only further complicated things. I was just reading the other day about how this really well known food change just got their entire data based taken up right from under their noses and not all of these loyal customers are in danger of somebody taken their identity or who knows what?

But to answer you're question, yes I have noticed about what you are say about how every body is asking for your identification. That happened to my mother when she went shopping the other day. Usually if she was aware if something like this was being done for security measures or something like that she would be ecstatic, but shes she didn't know, she was just like to the cashier that she has been shopping at this store for five years now and she has never needed to show her ID before. But I see how if can completely throw some people off, though.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think that vendors should always ask for ID when a customer presents a credit card.