Harry Potter novels or movies

Ruahnna

Reaction score
peachesncream said:
i love the books. i'ma lso enjoying that as the book go along and harry gets older they get darker and harry acts like someone in that age range. he doesn't stay a "child" for long. he questions things and gets angry like a normal teen would.after reading the last one i do wish i was ginny weasley.the thought of the next book saddens me for i know it will be the last.so many possibliities though.
One of the things I loved about HP& the GoF was how much Harry and Ron acted like typical, insensitive teenage boys at the big dance. (Sorry to any teenage MC members, who I am sure are totally and completely sensitive. *snicker*) How very believable that was! You're not likely to learn good manners at the Dursleys!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I hope the Order of the Pheonix movie comes out on schedule. It'll be really breath-taking.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Hey Ed. I'm bumping this thread up so you can start talking to me about Harry Potter sometime. I'll be spending my next regular holiday with my mother the next few days,but I'll be sure to reply to you when I get back to check the thread out. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No prob Marty.

Got all six books on audio cassette, seen/experienced all four movies. The next two movies are slated for November releases.
Don't know if Book 7 will be the last one, or if JK's plans are to still go ahead with a Book 8 dealing with one last adventure portraying Harry as a fully-matured adult.

The movies present something that allow one to experience the books in a sort of real-time... But I find that the timing is somewhat compressed. The first five chapters are often dealt with in the first half-hour, though I've gotten used to this by now. My thoughts are that this would be sooooo much better served if developed as a 1-hour dramatic series on the WB or CW channel, in the same vein as Angel or Charmed.
Goblet of Fire was a medium-rate at most, they just cut/gutted so much of the back story out of it. Plus, take into account that there are small story elements that come into play in the next two books, like S.P.E.W. as Hermoine's comment of being kinder to Creature in Book 5 is seen from both sides of the argument in the conversation at the end and Bill Weezly falling in love with Fleur De La Coeur in Book 6.
Didn't like their choice of actors for Bartimius Crouch Jr. as Alastor Moody, came off as a bit goofy in my view.

Got other thoughts on the state of affairs, including a sort of spoof that makes me laugh every time I think of it though it's only initially developed.
Interested in chatting further if any of you guys want to as well.

zeldazipple

Reaction score
I like both.

I have read the books and seen the movies, and I think the Books are better than the movies myself. But I enjoy them both.
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Since my earlier thread in which I proposed to talk about Harry Potter and Sailor Moon didn't gain overly much response I thought I'd try talking about Harry Potter on his own.

In particular here's my question to you: Do you prefer the original books by J.K.Rowling or the movie adaptations.

Me I do love to have the books onhand for access to the full story but I so enjoy the direction the films are taking. Today's special effects do them great justice.

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
I can't wait till book 7 is out, it is going to be awesome to read the final chapter of harry and see what happens to them all.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I certainly have been enjoying the movies though it's true they cut out too much of Goblet of Fire in particular. I think it would have been better if they had followed their original plan and split it up into two movies with a cliff-hanger. Perhaps they felt it would be anti-climactic since everybody would already know how it was resolved but still I would have preferred they did do it.

I'll still go to every movie though and as for book 8 well she hasn't confirmed anything but if popularity is good enough she may consider writing about Harry's further adventures as an adult. You never know:wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep... And with Order of the Phoenix to be released on 7/13/2007, Book 7 should be hopefully released soon after.

Though there are a few things I think Harry needs to jot down on his agenda of what needs to be done before setting off on finding the other horcruxes.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yes actually the end of book 6 was quite an unexpected twist since it's been strongly hinted that the last book probably won't be about year 7 at Hogwarts at all, but a personal vendetta by Harry and his two best friends to seek out the horcruxes required to defeat Voldemort. :big_grin: Really looking forward to it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... It's not so much that the destruction of the horcruxes will defeat Voldemort... As so much as they'll cripple him, given that each horcrux is enfused with a part of his very soul, turning that part of soul into another Voldemort, thus draining from the revived original's energy once each is destroyed.
Like I said... There are other things that boy wizard needs to do if he plans to be truly prepared for such a quest.