Halloween is just around the corner

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Is anyone doing anything on All Hallows Eve?
Getting a head start on watching my favorite Halloween specials!! :smile:

On the note of Halloween, look what I recently found on Facebook- a creative well-done homemade group costume that any classic SS fan will get a kick out of:

How spectacular is this??

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
After almost 50 years, the Great Pumpkin and the Christmas special still haven't lost their bite. I always love Sally's rant about how she'll sue Linus after getting bamboozled out of Halloween tricks and treats.

And thus begat the Age of Entitlement.
It's too bad they trim a few minutes from the party scene where Schroeder is playing the piano, alternating between happy and sad tunes, and Snoopy's facial expressions are priceless.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After almost 50 years, the Great Pumpkin and the Christmas special still haven't lost their bite.
No, but they've lost a little bit of love . . . I mean, you used to be able to see them all throughout their respective months, but anymore, they've been reduced to being seen maybe twice during their respective months now.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
After almost 50 years, the Great Pumpkin and the Christmas special still haven't lost their bite. I always love Sally's rant about how she'll sue Linus after getting bamboozled out of Halloween tricks and treats.

And thus begat the Age of Entitlement.
It's too bad they trim a few minutes from the party scene where Schroeder is playing the piano, alternating between happy and sad tunes, and Snoopy's facial expressions are priceless.
I must admit,I'm probably the only kid ever that didn't watch It's the Great Pumpkin when I was younger, my family dosen't celebrate Halloween so I was never that interested in watching. But now that i've finally watched it, The Great Pumpkin is my favorite Peanuts special.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
No, but they've lost a little bit of love . . . I mean, you used to be able to see them all throughout their respective months, but anymore, they've been reduced to being seen maybe twice during their respective months now.
Well, back in the days before cable (you never lived through that) CBS only showed them once a year. If you didn't have a VCR and you missed it, you'll have to wait til next year.

Can you feel the love now?

Drtooth

Reaction score

Sure, that's all well and good, but does anyone remember the other Peanuts animated Halloween cartoon? It was an episode of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show (to answer my question, probably not), and Linus managed to talk Marcie into waiting in the pumpkin patch, meanwhile Peppermint Patty drags poor ol' Chuck to the bowling alley. Being Chuck, the only time he can even pick up the ball and roll it successfully...is out the door and into the Pumpkin patch! Thus hitting Marcie and Linus, which Linus thinks was the great pumpkin, leaving Marcie fuming. As this was a CB&SS, it was indeed based on a series of comic strips. And those add to the fun with a strangely dark (even for Peanuts) joke about how Marcie's parents are having her "deprogrammed."

That's right. Marcie's parents think that Linus is a ..cult leader for getting his holidays mixed up. To say the least,these strips weren't animated.

As far as the original goes, it's surprising how it holds up, even though (and this was pointed out in a Cinemassacre video about Halloween specials) when this was produced, Halloween wasn't the big commercial racket it was since...well..the late 70's at least. Even in the 80's, candy was specifically made for Halloween and packaged Halloween costumes were already an established thing. Even when I was young making costumes and getting odd, unwrapped things was quaint. Not buying the flat plastic masks with plastic smocks was something only poor people would do. And yet, the 1960's style Halloween manages to constantly translate without a thought.