Guy Smilley Ripoff

dcfboss

Reaction score
I was so mad. I stood home from school today and i turned on sesame street at 12. it was the episode where baby bear wanted to be a dog.

so this dog fairy pops up out of nowhere and it was guy smiley in disguise. i got so mad cuz they don't use him anymore or at least show his old game shows.

does anyone know why they don't use him anymore? is it because they don't have anyone to do his voice?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well.... you kinda got us there. You see, Guy Smiley is actually just an anything Muppet... in other words, he was made as a head, and they put the eyes and facial features on him, and well, they have all these puppets with Guy's head! (Ie Don Music, Prince Charming, Spaceship Surprise captain) The Dog Fairy is no exception (though he did look a tad more orange to me... more like Monty)

In case you want to know, Joey Mazzarino (sp) performed him!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

How did Joey's Guy Smiley voice sound?

It would be nice if they'd bring the character back with a different performer. Same thing with a lot of Jim and Richard's characters.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
The SS game shows were alaways a favroite of mine!
We should start a petition to bring it back:big_grin:

dcfboss

Reaction score
i know what you're sayin drtooth. i saw his head in lots of places, but none that really had anything to do with a story like in the dog day on sesame street episode. i think even though he can be considered an anything muppet, he's different because he actually had his own skits and segments. He's a legend and I think that it's terrible that they would still use his head without it being on Guy Smiley's body. That's just me. And didn't Jim Hensen do his voice? Maybe after he passed they stopped using Guy Smiley, but I think they should bring him back or at least use him once in a while like they do with Herry Monster. You don't see Herry too often (which is a crime by itself) but when he does show up in some scenes it's refreshing when you're constantly subjected to muppets like elmo.

they should have a part of the show that shows a vintage clip everday. maybe cut out monster clubhouse or the hero guy skit (they show baby bear enough during the main story).

BRING BACK GUY SMILEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikealan

Reaction score
:smile:

Don't get frustrated about Guy Smiley, dcfboss. I have "The Eating Game" and "Beat the Time (the Count)" on my old video. You can look for Guy Smiley skits on Play With Me Sesame, or if you want to go to NYC to go to the Museum of Television & Radio to see #536 and #560. They've got game shows like The Trading Game and Beat the Time!

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
yeah, you should try watching play with me sesame on noggin they show alot of old vintage clips

erracht

Reaction score
I remember how they used Guy Smiley's "base"
for the other people. It was a little too
obvious I think.

Thijs

Reaction score
Yes! Bring back Smiley! I only know the dutch version, and that one is very funny, but im sure Hensons version was great too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To answer my man, Daffyfan, he didn't even sound a thing like Guy Smiley, mainly because Joey wasn't trying to do his voice. Basically he sounded like a mixture between a stereotyped middle aged Jewish guy, and a Stereotyped middle aged New York/Italian guy. I have to see it again.

But I agree. Guy was the Man! I do not know if they retired him because Jim Died as a tribute or they just couldn't finda voice. I mean, at least the classic skits. Use "Do de rubba Duck" on Journey to Ernie or something.

BTW, In K-mart I saw Sesame Street Valentines, and they had ... A GUY SMILEY CARD IN IT!!! NO KIDDING!!! Even has a guy sticker!

It's the one with a Cartoon Elmo on the package front, not the live action Muppet cast. That confused me too.