General Mills Cereal DVDs

Arekuru

Reaction score
They just turned up in Albertson's a couple of days ago here in Santa Barbara, so they're officially abvailable on the West coast now.

I got Muppets Take Manhattan with Lucky Charms, and Bear in the Big Blue House with Golden Grahmms. However, the each DVD looked like it could come with any of the boxes (other cereals were Honey Nut Chex, Cinnamin Toast Crunch, and... Something else, I forget offhand). Each box that comes with a DVD has it prominently displayed on the front, so you know exactly which one you're getting.

The episodes on the Bear DVD are Morning Glory and Picture of Health. Perfect to watch while eating a bowl of cereal, in my opinion.

As for Muppets take Manhattan... Eh, Pan & Scan. I'm seeing far too much of Kermit's sock, and Rizzo looks like he's almost levitating. Eh.

As for extras, each DVD comes with the aforementioned three Bear games, scene selection (though with Bear it was just a choice of which episode to watch), and MTM had a spanish track that sounded pretty odd. The menus, such that they are, are pretty awful, and look like the were made in paint or something.

On the upside, the picture is clear, and so is the sound. And I got each box of cereal for $3, so... Not bad.

Conclusion: Get the Bear one, and buy the actual DVD of MTM. And you get a free box of Lucky Charms with your DVD. ^-^

Arekuru

Reaction score
Oh, and there's far more of AOL 7.0 than really ought to exist in the entire universe on one disc. Forgot to mention that. ^-^

Drtooth

Reaction score
I use free AOL trial disks as Frisbees!!! AS LONG AS THEY DON'T HAVE DVD'S ON EM!

Joe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
I use free AOL trial disks as Frisbees!!! AS LONG AS THEY DON'T HAVE DVD'S ON EM!
It's amazing how much distance you can get with them :smile:

radionate

Reaction score
I use my as coasters. It freaks people out at first, but then they think its pretty cool.

tygerbug

Reaction score
I like this series of DVDs because apparently it includes a version of The Thief and the Cobbler by Richard Williams. It's the crappy Miramax edit of course, which cuts all the good parts, and it's probably pan and scan too, but this is the first time this has been on DVD. So, neat.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by tygerbug
I like this series of DVDs because apparently it includes a version of The Thief and the Cobbler by Richard Williams. It's the crappy Miramax edit of course, which cuts all the good parts, and it's probably pan and scan too, but this is the first time this has been on DVD. So, neat.
OH WOW!!!!! I soo have to have that on DVD, even if its edited and pan and scan. Such a great piece of animation history.

Unfortunatly, these haven't shown up anywhere around here yet. I don't get it. I've literally been stalking the ceral aisle (ceral stalker, heh heh heh) looking for them, and have found nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

tygerbug

Reaction score
You can get 'em for like 4 bucks on Ebay. I probably will one of these days.

There was a laserdisc of the same edited version of Thief and the Cobbler, that was widescreen. Would love to have that. There's a version that was only released in Australia and South Africa called Princess and the Cobbler that is also edited badly but includes all the great One-Eye army scenes that got cut, and the Old Witch. I have a bad pan & scan dupe of this. If only I had it in widescreen.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by tygerbug
You can get 'em for like 4 bucks on Ebay. I probably will one of these days.

There was a laserdisc of the same edited version of Thief and the Cobbler, that was widescreen. Would love to have that. There's a version that was only released in Australia and South Africa called Princess and the Cobbler that is also edited badly but includes all the great One-Eye army scenes that got cut, and the Old Witch. I have a bad pan & scan dupe of this. If only I had it in widescreen.
Weren't those scenes included on the video that was released a few years ago? I have that copy, but its been awhile since I've watched it, and I don't remember. Such a great film!