Fraggles overshadow Muppets

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
The following is writer Chris Barry's afterthoughts after attending the Jim Henson Company's 50th anniversary celebration at NYC's Museum of Television & Radio.

He called his story:"Fraggles overshadow Muppets at Henson Company's 50th anniversary celebration."
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1684

The story is a good personal opinion of how the Muppet show and Sesame Street characters were lacking at the event.

There a picture on there of a Disney sponsored ad for the event and unfortunately it's Kermit casting a shadow of ...Mickey Mouse!:eek:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
JHC can't promote The Muppets anymore since they no longer own them. But, they own the Fraggles and THAT'S why they're pushing them!

GO FWAGGLES!!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It seems that for a number of years now, the Muppets were overshadowing the Fraggles.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
JHC can't promote The Muppets anymore since they no longer own them. But, they own the Fraggles and THAT'S why they're pushing them!

GO FWAGGLES!!
You would think that when lawyers were drawing up contracts for the Henson kids to sell the Muppets to Disney, they would have included some kind of clause that the Henson kids would have had Disney permission to show Muppet archive clips and to showcase Muppet characters at Henson related promotional activities with the understanding of giving Disney credit for their cooperation and participation.

I hope maybe the Henson kids lawyers can work something like that out with Disney at future Henson promotional events for the fans.

Of course I get 10% of the gate for suggesting the idea.:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
LOL! I think JHC did this on purpose perhaps...I mean it's so history revisionist and over the top to go OUT of there way to make no mention of Muppets nor Sesame, the two main properties which made JHC JHC.

Could ya imagine a Disney 50 years celebration with no Micky, Minnie, Donald, or Goofy? JHC must think people are stupid, or the Disney globalist syndicate really got to them legal wise.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree. An agreement should have been made with Disney about that. I mean, after all, when you go to graphic design meetings and take your portfolio, you also showcase your previous work.

The Muppets are part of JHC History and SHOULD have been a part of things.

The one picture Disney sent to JHC congratulating them on 50 years of Kermit sitting on the stool with the Mickey Mouse shadow...brrrr! Worse than FOZZIE HORROR!

MWoO

Reaction score
This is exactly what I thought the JHC would do. The fraggles are the only muppets they have left and they are going to promote them like crazy! So now we'll have muppets competeing against muppets competeting againsts muppets for the same markets!

Sesame and Fraggle Rock will compete. Muppets and Fraggles will compete. Muppets and Sesame Will compete. It's just awful. And worst of all, the performers might be torn about who to work with. I mean if a fraggle movie goes into production, and at the same time a muppet movie is being done, and let's say it's at the sae time sesame street isb eing taped, what the heck is going to happen?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think henson could have made a deal with Disney and Sesame Workshop for the event, unless henson just wants to try to see what tehy can do without Muppets, Bear, or Sesame Street.

Henson got together with Disney and Sesame Workshop for the henson Film festival last year, and also must have made deals with other companies to show stuff like commercials, television guest appearances, and films. The three companies also got together to make the recent It's Not Easy Being Green and other things to remember book.

that picture that Disney used to congraduate Henson should have had more muppets. Maybe one of the many group photos that get used alot.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Henson is not banned from showing Muppet stuff at their events. At the SLC event with Brian Henson last month featured screenings of The Muppet Christmas Carol, and Muppets Tonight; however Henson is trying to distance themselves from the Muppets right now. They are trying to get out from under the Muppet name, and show the world that still have their own things going for them (and at the same time want to promote those things, as they are not the heart of the company). The Muppets are still part of the companies history, and even to some extent their life right now; but the company as a business is trying to show off their own things (not Disney's), and they want to show people they are more than Muppets now, and don't want their company events to become overshadowed by the Muppets. They still love the Muppets and their work with them, but they want to get away from being known as "home of the Muppets" and make sure the world sees that the company can last with out them.

Now, if the Jim Henson Legacy stopped showing Muppet stuff I would get concerned, but for the company that just recently seperated from the franchise wanting to distance itself right now, that's fine with me.