Fraggle fic: The Minstrel's Path

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Another great chapter! I liked how Murray/M'rray referred to Cantus as his "brother-found" when talking to Edrra, I think it really shows how the Minstrels have become a family unit on their own. That's especially reinforced when Cantus learns that Murray left his mate behind to travel with him; I think Cantus might have been initially surprised to learn such a fact. Thanks for sharing!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good scene you've presented. And hey, if Cleo made an appearance, and then Reed, why not Shonkey now revealed as the original Tunesmith? Also liked the introduction of the minstrels to the northern Fraggle clan. Thanks for posting.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I wasn't sure when I wrote this that "brother-found" would make sense, but I didn't know how else to put it. How did that come across?

As far as Murray's past goes, heh, now you know why he was so quick to leave with Cantus. It was a rash decision, but Edrra didn't object. She probably didn't think he'd go through with it, but if he did there'd be no no downside. Since they had no children and nothing of consequence owned in common--at least, nothing that he wanted to take with him--the dissolution of their status as mates was basically an annulment, not a divorce.

I can't tell you how long I've been wanting to slip in that line about Cantus having an interest other than music. :wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I wasn't sure when I wrote this that "brother-found" would make sense, but I didn't know how else to put it. How did that come across?
It came across to me as him basically saying that Cantus was a family member that he met, someone who started out as a friend but has since become more than that (not in a romantic sense). They share almost everything in terms of experiences and events, and have the frankness that family members have.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ah, cool. That's what I meant. TV Tropes has a page for this kind of thing: Platonic Life Partners, which fits them neatly.

When I was in the playing-with-ideas stage of this fic I considered having someone mistake the nature of Cantus and Murray's relationship. No fuss about it, just an incorrect assumption. When Cantus finds out he makes a mental note to tell Murray, but on a day when he's feeling low and in need of a good laugh to cheer him up. Obviously that scene didn't make it in, but it's fun to think about, IMO.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Pied Piper of Fraggle Rock?
The Minstrel's Path
Part 27
by Kim McFarland

"Hey! The Minstrels are here!"

A Fraggle in a side tunnel heard music, led by the unmistakable double voice of Cantus's Magic Pipe, and ran into the Great Hall to tell everyone. Word quickly spread outward from there, Fraggle to Fraggle, so that when the Minstrels reached the Great Hall an eager audience was there to greet them.

Cantus could not smile while playing the pipe, but he was pleased. The colonies they visited always welcomed them warmly. They accepted The Minstrels' gift of music and gave their own music in return. The liveliest colonies learned something from it. But whether the Minstrels were providing subtle guidance or just making pretty music for others to enjoy, it was all worth it. No song is wasted if there are ears to hear.

The Minstrels had started out with no agenda for this visit. There was no specific event that they were here to lend their music to. The Trash Heap had advised them that things had been running smoothly. Then Cantus had gotten a notion, and had gone right up to Junior Gorg in the garden. Even though the Fraggles and Gorgs had ceased to be enemies many, many days ago, old habits die hard. Fraggles still remembered being chased and thumped, and Gorgs still thought of Fraggles as creatures that infested their garden. Except for the bravest Fraggles, those too young to remember the bad old days, and Junior Gorg, who was happy to have friends of any kind.

When Murray had heard what Cantus had in mind, he had moaned and covered his eyes. Cantus was insane. But then, he'd always been that way, and they followed him because he was the right kind of crazy. His silly ideas had a way of changing things for the better.

Now the Minstrels walked to the center of the Great Hall. Cantus raised a hand and called, "Hark, Fraggles!"

"Hark, Cantus," they chorused back.

"Do you have a new song for us?" a young purple Fraggle asked excitedly.

"Indeed I do! But the song is not here."

"Where is it, then?"

"We will lead you to it. Prepare yourselves."

The Minstrels waited as Fraggles bustled noisily about. Some tuned their instruments, others sang scales and did other vocal warmups. For Fraggles, music was participatory. When Cantus judged they were ready he raised his pipe and played the opening notes of his familiar processional. The Fraggles, in the mood for music, joined in, and played along with the Minstrels as they walked.

Cantus led them up to the exit to the Gorgs' garden. At that point some of the Fraggles balked. That did not worry Cantus; he did not expect everyone to follow him all the way. Some would, and that would be enough. The others would listen from the safety of Fraggle Rock.

Cantus led the Fraggles into the yard by the garden. Junior was there, sitting on the ground, a big angular metal thing beside him. He stared, amazed, at all the Fraggles who dared to come out into the garden. He hadn't seen so many in one place since he got tiny and visited Fraggle Rock himself.

Cantus brought the tune to a close. He said, "Hail, Junior Gorg!"

Junior raised a hand, "Hail, Fwaggles! Wow, there's lots of you! Hold on, lemme get Ma and Pa!" He jumped up and ran into the castle. "Ma! Pa!"

The Fraggles waited while the Gorgs squabbled inside. Murray hoped that this would go off as well as Cantus expected it to. Failure would be disastrous for Cantus's image as a sage and, oh yeah, for everybody's health too. But he gave no hint as to his misgivings. He'd support Cantus no matter what, and it was vital that everybody share Cantus's confidence.

After a minute Junior returned to the garden. "C'mon, you gotta see this!"

Ma and Pa came out. Pa growled, "Why should I want to see Fraggles in the garden?"

Ma said, "Now, dear, let's see what Junior wants to show us."

"Look here!" Junior gestured grandly.

Their eyes widened when they saw the colorful crowd of Fraggles in their midst. In the moment before anyone could panic Cantus stepped forward, arms spread to make himself as visible as possible to the giant Gorgs, and said, "Hail, Gorgs! We have come to play music for you."

That dumbfounded them. Ma said, "You have?"

In the group, Red said, "We have?"

Wembley stepped forward, surprising even Cantus. He called to Ma, "Do you remember me? I sang for my supper a long time ago. You played the harp."

Ma peered down at him. "Why, yes, I do remember you. It wasn't that long ago," she said.

"You liked my singing then. And, well, we'd like to thank you for sharing your garden with us," he said earnestly.

Ma paused, thoughtfully, then turned to Pa. "Pa, get my harp."

Cantus looked at Wembley and smiled. Wembley grinned back. Pa grumbled, but he knew when he was outnumbered. Not by the Fraggles, or even Junior and Ma. When her mind was made up, Ma outnumbered him all by herself. He went into the castle and came back with a harp, which he handed to her. She said, "Thank you, duckie-kins."

"Anything for you, my little garlic blossom."

Junior rolled his eyes. Behind a hand he stage whispered, "C'mon, don't get all mushy in front of the Fraggles!"

Pa said, "Considerin' how many of 'em there are, I bet they know a little about 'mush'."

"Pa!"

Ma sat down at the garden table. She stretched out one leg like a pink, furred tree trunk and set the harp on it. Cantus raised his pipe and began to play.

The Fraggles listened. It was a Fraggle tune, but played differently somehow. Ma nodded, listening, then began playing the harp.

It was a rippling, surprisingly sweet sound, one that few Fraggles had ever heard before. Who would have thought that those monstrous hands could coax music out of anything?

This was not going the way Cantus had planned. He had intended for the Fraggles to play music for the Gorgs, and possibly for Junior to join in if the spirit moved him, which seemed likely. But Cantus had not known that Wembley had already sung for them once—of course, if anyone would, it would be Wembley—and now the very Gorg who had once attacked the Minstrels with a broom was playing music with them. It was wonderful.

Now that the music was underway, it felt natural for Gobo to join in on his guitar. What else had he brought it for, after all? And Wembley sat down with his bongos in his lap and added a rhythm line. Soon the other Fraggles were playing their instruments or singing.

Junior watched with no less wonder than Cantus. It was as if Ma had forgotten how awful she always thought Fraggles were. Even Pa, sitting at the other side of the picnic table, his head in one hand, had forgotten to scowl. Was the Fraggle with the pipe magical? Or was the music magical? Whatever it was, they could use more of it!

After that tune was over, Red spoke up. "I bet I know a song you'd like."

"Weally? What song?" Junior asked.

Red began, "Give me one and give me two-"

Junior laughed and sang the next line with her. "Cover me with muck and goo!"

Ma and Pa, and all among the Fraggles but Gobo and Boober, were astounded. The Fraggles knew a Gorg children's song? The Gorgs knew a Fraggle counting song? The song evoked happy memories, of playing and singing with those you loved. Soon everyone was singing it, even Ma and Pa.

They went on to sing other songs. Cantus had to do very little to keep the musical conversation going; the Fraggles and the Gorgs already knew what to do. They only needed someone to set it in motion, to play the opening notes of the tune. He was proud of them all.

Afterward, as the Minstrels settled down in their little camp for the night, Murray said, "I don't know how you do it, boss. You do it over and over again, but heck if I can figure out how."

Cantus smiled. "I did very little. I simply offered an opportunity, and they chose to take it."

"Yeah, yeah." As if anyone could do that. The difference was, Murray thought, Cantus could see the possibilities and judge the right time. Anyone else would be taking their chances.

Cantus lay down in his half tent. He was tired, and a little sore. Which was typical these days. He felt no discomfort when playing music, but when he went to bed at night after a busy day he could feel his joints complaining. He accepted that as a minor distraction, and did not dwell on it.

Before he dropped off he thought, if he eventually gave up wandering and settled in any colony, it would be this one. Though he had no offspring here, he still felt the greatest kinship with these Fraggles.

Fraggle Rock and all named characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... I think of Cantus as a Pied Piper character. The question for me is, what to cast the other minstrels as, should I decide that.
*:batty: counting project spoiler.

This was a nice chapter. *Waves at Janken's cameo when the minstrels arrived at the Great Hall.
Music, one of the universal languages that can bridge almost all species. Interesting to find how the Gorgs eventually end up becoming part of the song/medley.
Another good day's work boss. Thanks for posting.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I really like this chapter! It seems like a logical step in Cantus' efforts to bring people together and get them to learn about each other, and I loved Pa's line about Fraggles and "mush". I don't think Fraggles are afraid to be mushy, lol.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! The funny thing is, this is not the chapter I intended to write when I sat down at the keyboard. I had another event in mind, one completely unrelated to this, and I wanted a lead-in. I improvised this off the top of my head, and partway through it I realized that it was too strong to be a lead-in, and the other part might seem anticlimactic in comparison, so I ended up not writing the chapter I meant to write. Go figure.

I see you spotted Janken. Heh, purple Fraggle who is Cantus's greatest fan; who else could he be? Did anyone recognize the metal thing that Junior had?