For tho's who STILL love VHS

lael

Reaction score
I really like The African Queen. My father owns it.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
6,000 titles.

Well, hang on.

:checking the list:

My family owns 6,023 titles at this point in our DVD collection.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Well, it's not so much about where we get the money as much as where we get the DVDs. A number of methods:

-My entire family consists of cinephiles, so birthday/Christmas/whatever gifts ALWAYS consist of DVDs, and we're a big family.
-We're very good friends with Chris, the owner of our local video store, where I have worked for two years and where my brother worked for five years. When movies have been on the shelf for a while and it's time to sell some, he gives us free pick of whatever we want that's on sale. It's been this way since the store started carrying DVDs in 1997.
-My family, unlike many, embraced DVD as the new video media format when it first started. We've been collecting for ten years.
-We don't concern ourselves with many material goods beyond DVDs. Besides all the regular expenses, there isn't a whole lot else that we buy. I put away 75% of my paychecks each month to my college fund, and the other 25% is always spent on DVDs, and it's like that with the rest of us as well - any money we can afford to spend on DVDs, we do. And it's not like we're out to have the biggest collection out there. There's always something out there that we'd like to own.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
No. It's way, way more than that. We watch everything we buy - together. Movies and television are not hobbies to us. It's a family experience that we've been doing for years now, and that we won't ever stop doing. And, yes, we're all huge movie and television junkies. Calling it a "hobby" cheapens it in the worst way possible, I'd say.

And yes - we DO watch everything that we buy, and not just once.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
My DVD collection is close to 6,000 at this point, but we STILL own many VHS tapes for movies that don't have DVD releases, such as The African Queen.
I can't believe The African Queen hasn't been released on DVD.

I'm a huge fan of Danny Kaye, but most of his key films are MIA on DVD. Actually a few of his best were released on DVD in the late 90s, but they're long OOP.

I'm waiting for

Up in Arms - 1944
Wonder Man - 1945
The Kid from Brooklyn - 1946
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 1947
A Song Is Born - 1948
Knock on Wood - 1954
Me & the Colonel - 1958
Merry Andrew - 1958
On the Double - 1961
The Man From the Diners' Club - 1963

On the Riviera (1951) just got an excellent release from Fox, with cool extras. The only other major Danny Kaye films currently available on DVD are The Inspector General (a Warner Bros. release that has been in the public domain for years - I'm waiting for a decent copy, as many of the smaller DVD labels offer a washed-out print of this colorful comedy classic), Hans Christian Anderson, White Christmas, The Court Jester and The Five Pennies (Kaye, in a rare dramatic role, as real-life coronet player Red Nichols, whose band in the 1920s and 30s included such future stars as Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman).