Foam Carving Tool

Iokitek

Reaction score
What do all of you use to carve foam with? I prefer not to use heat to singe it because of the chemicals released then. And I do know most people use a turkey cutter. But I can only find electric bread knives here. I'm guessing because those blades have ridges it would tear the foam apart. And if I'm correct a turkey cutter is actually a sharp knife wich would make it more suitable.

Can anyone reccomend an alternative to me?

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
I have found (being in the same spot you are now..That I WAS in last year.) The electric Knife works well for getting the basic shape. Taking big chunks off at a time. I Then turned to Very sharp sissors. (The kind from a craft store) and then little by little start trimming and cutting away the foam to fit the shape you want. ALSO.....Sand paper. To smooth out any sissor marks. I will be posting pics of my first puppet in a nother couple weeks or so. BUT the head was carved and then sanded down. I dont know of your skills in Sculpting....But one of the keys in Sculpting is to be even and proportioned. I hope this helps. :cool:

Iokitek

Reaction score
Sanding! :smile: Ofcourse! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tips. Perhaps I should just try an electric bread knife then. I've seen some testmodels plugged in and on display at the stores. So I'll just take some foam with me and try it out first. They'll probably think I'm a nutcase though :crazy:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Fish filleting knives work well for carving I'm told.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Oh I have those :smile: And I have some old foam I can test it out on aswell. So I'll let you know how it went

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I've mentioned the sanding method before in the past. It's what I specialize in for my characters. I start with doing a rough cut with a Hacksaw blade, (since I don't have a bandsaw yet) then I do the heavy shaping with a rotary sanding disc and finish with a tiny sanding drum equipped Dremel for detail work. If anyone would like pictures of my characters that I have built with this method, E-Mail me and I'll be glad to send some out.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I used a number of hacksaw blades and some sharp scissors from the kitchen. I would worry about sanding foam as it might tear it, but ive probably been using the wrong foam. Has anyone used heat to shape foam?

Iokitek

Reaction score
I already read somewhere that it is possible to use heat. But it releases chemicals that are very unpleasant. And I suspect it might also burn up and get hard instead of flexible.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
I used a number of hacksaw blades and some sharp scissors from the kitchen. I would worry about sanding foam as it might tear it, but ive probably been using the wrong foam. Has anyone used heat to shape foam?
I wouldn't recommend using heat in conjunction with foam with foam being highly flammable, and it emits toxic fumes when heated. The sanding doesn't tear it, it actually sands like wood, but much quicker. I use solid foam blocks for carving heads.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I wasnt thinking of using heat, its not a good idea. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it.