First time puppet builder tips/help please!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm a terrible artist. Whatever limited drawing skills I have I have only because I spent the past ten years trying to teach myself to draw (with mixed results). I don't think you have to be an excellent illustrator to design a good puppet, but being artistic certainly helps! If you're already building puppets you're probably an artistic person to begin with so you're off to a good start.

I do think it is really helpful to sketch out as best you can what you want to make and have some sort of guide or plan on paper. A really interesting book to read is Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles which has alot of his original drawings for the Muppets. Jim Henson wasn't exactly a "fine artist" in the traditional sense - many of his designs were just rough, hastily scrawled sketches - but he was a phenomenal designer. Each of his sketches contained an "essence" of what he wanted a character to be and that became the guide for the construction of the actual puppet.

I find that it's often really, really helpful to look at art forms outside of puppet building and find inspiration and things you can "steal" and use in your puppets too. Doll making, sculpture, teddy bear making, animation are just a few other artistic pursuits you might be able to learn a thing or two from.

Miss_Beaker

Reaction score
I'd just like to say thanks for posting all those tips! They've given me a shedload of help! Only one problem though - where the heck can I get all the sorts of materials I need (foam and what have you). I'm having no luck on that front at the moment!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Foam can usually be purchased through a good fabric or upholstry supply store. Sometimes you can buy it in sheets through a camping store or outdoor outfitter, but foam is usually very expensive in those types of stores. Larger cities often have warehouse outlets that specialize in foam. Try looking in your local Yellow pages under "foam" or "foam rubber."

Other materials like fabric, thread, contact cement, glue, etc. can usually be purchased at either fabric, hardware or craft stores. You don't really need specialized materials like eyes, Antron fleece, flocking, etc. when you are just starting out, but to find suppliers check the puppet building section ofThe Puppetry Homepage.

This topic has been covered at length here in other threads before, so it is probably worthwhile to do a quick search of the forum and see what other info you can dig up.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sorry Miss Beaker, I just realized you were in the UK and I am not sure if you can find foam in the same sort of places on the other side of pond. I know all the materials you're looking for (foam, etc.) are readily available in England...if you have trouble locating supplies you might want to try contacting The British Puppet and Model Theatre Guild. I am sure someone there would be willing to point you in the right direction. You may want to consider joining them as well so you can network with other puppeteers and puppet builders in the UK.

I hope that helps!

Miss_Beaker

Reaction score
Ah, ta muchly Buck! You've been a great help, and I'm now working on a bear puppet (whose already been named Charlie for some reason, by one of my mates! :big_grin: )

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Frank Oz once said on the A&E Bio that it takes 10-15 years to be an Expert, Some People just can't Learn it.