1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Financing Issues Frustrate Henson-Valentine Deal

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Dec 27, 2002.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Nope, I was not aware of any faux fascist chancelloring depictions of our beloved frog. But hey, that's Germany for you...they still got a touch of the ol Wagnerian bravado!
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

I don't think even Disney would take Jim's name off the merchandise though - i mean the most successful thing about Henson has been Jim so it's kinda half of what the buyer will be paying for. I don't really mind any new owner having their name AS WELL AS Jim Henson as they'd have paid their money and began to put their own ideas in. Technically they'd have the right to be credited and if they did well, deserve to be.

Now if they were to replace Jim's name with their own ... then that would definitely NOT be cool !
  3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Sorry, have to disagree...Im a hardliner when it comes to those things. Unlike Pixar, I dont want Disney anywhere near the print of JH's signature or Muppet logos. In the year 3065 it needs to remain just the Muppets logo(whatever it be, holographic 3d wireframe logos?) with JH signature.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Mein Frog.
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

How can you justify that when it'd be that company inputting ideas and running the Henson Company ? I think they have a right to be there .... somewhere...... if i went to the shop and bought a can of pepsi i expect to be able to drink it. I don't think as fans we have a right to expect just the family's branding anymore - if we have any complaints the only people to blame are the people who signed the contract and let the Muppet move away in the first place.
  6. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

Wocka wocka wocka

Now the jokes are starting!

Here's my source material: "It's hard for them to interfere from Germany."

Yeah, but don't the Germans have a history of bringing interference from Germany :rolleyes:

(with apologies to Luke)
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Luke, do you even give a care about a company's right to put there name on there? I sure dont. I like preservation. Thankfully EM.TV is not seen anywhere n fine print on any dvd, video game, plush, figure, socks or pair of panties Muppet related.

It is bad enough JHC lost Sesame to CTW(though that might have ben a good thing, with work loads and stuff) But heck no should Creature Shop be sold off seperately, this 49.99% shinanigans. Though I am hoping...hoping that somehow someway this Valentine deal turns out to be one sweet turnaround. Something we can look back on the year and say 'Wow, having Valentine buy the Muppets was truly a grand thing!'
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah i do - if i was part of a production company that bought Henson and we started doing deals and producing shows with them i think we'd all find it laughable if our name wasn't included on the show credits and merchandise. Preservation is about keeping Jim's name on there because he created the Muppets in the first place but it shouldn't be so rigid that it's also about denying people credit ..... i really doubt Jim himself would have done that. I think if Henson were to buy Disney people would be raving about what a superpower they had become and expecting their graphic to appear after the shows - except because Henson's the small fish and it's the other way around people jump on the 'preservation' bandwagon.

In any case it won't happen - it's fantasy that the Muppets would get any special treatment as a TV property is seen like any other. Any new owners would just stick their logo on there.
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

As long as it's "Walt Disney presents Jim Henson's Muppets" - I am fine. If it was just "Walt Disney's Muppets" - I would find that tacky. Paid or not. I don't think they'd do that, but weren't there rumors about it during the failed merger?
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well you make a good point...it *is* the other way around.
    Now, I'll be the first to admit...as much as we bag on Disney, truth be told JHC has made some pretty staggeringly lame moves(ie: Making zero effort to promote or even plug the figures, what with all of Kermit's appearences...letting muppets.com linger, screwing up henson.com, the EM.TV deal, etc) However a testament of their tenaciousness, they continue to thrive inder circumstances that would normaly bring a company down to its knees. As for logos, and all that. That's fine if it is the fine print or whatever...but I think most of us agree it needs to remain the Muppets with the JH trademark. period.
  11. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah same here, thats what i was thinking. There was some stuff printed with 'Disneys Muppets' at the time of the failed merger but i expect they test it all ways to see how it looks. I doubt anybody would get rid of the Jim Henson name entirely because it's such a part of the company value.
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I would also call that a 'material breach', heh. It's bad enough JHC took the JH signature off Farscape...what, they thought fans would think its 'Muppets From Space'?

I feel bad for JHC. In 2002 they never got their full buyout they had hoped, they got screwed by Nascar at the last minute ontheir big Chicago Speedway thing, Farscape got cancelled, they had to greatly downsize their Muppet builder shop, etc.

HEres to 2003 being the turnaround for them.
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Hey Cory,

I agree with you there, and yeah JHC taking the name off Farscape - i suppose Henson thought people might not take it seriously if they had the same name as 'The Muppets' have on their stuff. I think that was a shame - i hope whoever takes over has the sense to turn JHC into a production house for all ages and areas - i'd like to see em do some adult puppet stuff without the Muppets ..... maybe a new puppet sitcom.

I do however have news to report - EMTV ARE now putting their logo on the merchandise - i saw it for the first time today in the UK on the new plush range. It's a small black rectangle with EMTV in the middle and two lines. There's also 'Licensed By EMTV' in the credits too. Not too bad though - it's all fairly small and way away from the 'Jim Henson' name.
  14. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

And if Disney were to handle Muppet merchandise, you would most likely just see the Disney logo on the back or on the tag saying "Disney Consumer Products" or the "Disney Store" logo, right? Man, we still talk about Disney. :)

I remember seeing several EM.TV logos with Kermit and an F1 racecar on them. Though they tick me off, they do make nice wallpaper on my desktop. Go figure.
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

They are just *now* doing this? Oh man...a little late in the day, heh.
  16. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

can't emtv just put on the tag "jim henson company"..although they own half the company, it would be nicer to have that lable than emtv.....

i wouldn't be a big fan of disney if i saw a muppet product that had a tag that read the disney store or something similar to that...

ryan
  17. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Well, I'd understand if Disney the "Disney Store" logo on Muppet product if it was available at their store. I'd think it'd be bad taste if it was "Disney's Muppets" or "Disney's Bear in the Big Blue House," but if the tags or whatever say "Disney Store" or "Disney Consumer Products" then it'd be fair since its the division of the company making the toy. Just as it is when Warner Bros. Consumer Products markets the Scooby Doo toys.