Favorite TMS-esque Inserts

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The first season of SST had a number of different Muppet inserts where they actually perform popular songs, very much like if they were a precursor to what TMS later became. What are some of your favorites of these? Some of mine are, in no particular order:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I know a few of these have leaked out on youtube over the years, but if the music-clearance hassles can ever be overcome, we could have a dandy little DVD here.
Good Morning Starshine
Windy
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Help!
Yellow Submarine
The Word (Jim kinda liked the Beatles, didn't he?)
Spinning Wheel
Up,Up, and Away (my own personal Holy Grail)

Ten years ago they released that little gem of Muppet appearances on the Ed Sullivan show, this would make a nice companion piece.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Help!" is very Muppet Show esque, the physical comedy referencing the lyrics (the man is knocked over by the monster and sings "Help me if you can, I'm feelin' down...")

And the St. Ives bit seems more a like a traditional SS sketch than a lot of the season 1 stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
(Jim kinda liked the Beatles, didn't he?)
Well think, this was the late 60s, and The Beatles were HUGE during the 60s, so part of it probably could be trying to appeal to the masses by having Muppets capitalize on their popularity.

Remember, that dates back to Sam and Friends, where they often and frequently lip synced to songs that were popular during that period.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The Red Book site goes into detail about Jim's fascination with the Beatles, which inspired some great bits for the Ed Sullivan Show.