FanFic: The Search For Sadie

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Four

Nancy was watching something on the TV, when she heard the phone rang. Her thoughts drifted away from the show, as she walked down the hall.

'I wonder who would be calling me? Maybe it's one of the kids...' She picked up the phone gently.

"Hello? This is Nancy, and who might this be?"

"Um...hello Nancy. How are you doing lately? It's, me, Sadie Grosse."

"Oh, Sadie. A pleasure to talk to you, after all this time. How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"I'm...fine. I guess." Sadie looked down at her desk. Her laptop was almost the only light filling that small room of her's. It felt like the world didn't exist to her outside that area.

"You sound worried. What's the matter?"

Sadie was quiet for a moment, she smiled inside. Despite she had saddled this woman with her twins...she still regarded her with graciousness. She felt she didnt' deserve it from such a nice, strong-willed lady.

'It's the kids. Do you have any idea how they're doing? Jerry won't tell me a blessed thing about them just yet."

"I see. I've not talked to them in sometime. ...I never got the chance to tell you their names, have I?"

Sadie laughed softly. "I never wanted to bother you with it. Plus....I'm not sure if I should know. They took them away from me you know..."

"Dear. It was only because you were so young...it was to protect them."

Sadie's breath stopped dead cold. Her thoughts raced feverishly. She took off her thick black glasses, and rubbed her forehead momentarily. She had to try very hard, not to yell into the phone.

"Protect them? From what? I'm their mother!! I....I made a mistake. We both know that. And I paid for it for giving them up..."

"You did not make a mistake, Sadie."

"...What do you call getting pregnant with twins when you're only sixteen years old!?! Having a kid, when you're almost a kid yourself!!!"

By this time, she was yelling. She couldn't stop herself, the flood gates had opened in her heart, and her mouth was saying what her heart felt. Her mind was shut down from all rational thought at that time.

"I NEARLY LOST MY SON!! Then...THEN I HAD TO GIVE THEM....oh, god, Nancy....WHY? Why did they take them away from me!?!? And why dosn't Jerry tell me anything!? WHY!?"

Nancy was silent, listening to Sadie rant about her children. She knew the heartache she had, she too had lost a child, but...she knew where her child was, and that is why she didn't yell back at her. She nodded her head, still quiet.

Sadie exhaled, gathering her thoughts once more.

"...why won't you say anything...?"

"Maybe we should see each other, Sadie. I could clear up so many things, but I'd rather speak to you in person, dear."

"Sure, Nancy. ...but like I had asked...before I just blew up like that...do you know how they are?"

Nancy thought for a moment, then she smiled. Sadie could almost hear that smile in her voice. "Your son is doing fine, and your little girl, she's away at some competition, she calls regularly here. But...the little boy, he's not called in quite sometime. But I know he's safe, Sadie."

"Please, tell me their names."

"I hate to say this, but not just yet. I'll come to your office in a day or so. I'll bring photoalbums and other things, okay?"

Sadie nodded, feeling a slight warmth in her chest. She was getting happy, she felt hope again.

"Sure, Nancy. I'll still be here. Bring all you can. We'll talk then, I take it?"

"Yes. We'll talk then, Sadie. It'll be great to see you once more."

"Alright. See you in a couple of days, then Nancy."

Nancy said her goodbyes, hanging up the phone. She walked up to attic, and pulled down a small box, labeled 'Scooter & Skeeter', she shifted the boxes around. That was the last box still up there, with memories still inside. She looked inside, to make sure everything was there.

"Good. I'm glad that they'll be happy again."

She stepped down the small ladder slowly, the box underneath her arm. She took one last look in that dusty, old attic. The other's were gone.

"Kermit's went to his mother at the swamp....Fozzie's mother has his as well. Hortense has Piggy's. Bunsen and Beaker got theirs awhile back."

She continues walking down the hall, talking softly to herself, remembering those times. When they had come back to claim their old baby belongings. She stopped in front of the old nursery, and she smiled.

"Rowlf sent his box to his brother. I hope his mother got it safely. The band came and got Animals for him. He probably ate what little was left in there." She chuckled, remembering Animal's appetite.

"Suprised there was anything left." She touched Kermit's old rocking horse, and she sighed. She walked over and closed the top to Rowlf's piano. "I should send that to Rowlf. He'd like to see it again."

"And finally...Scooter and Skeeter..." She held the small box in front of her. She sat in the old stuffed chair once more, she gently lifted out Scooter's small computer.

She idly tapped a few keys, and the screen came on. "Oh? What's this..." There was actually words on the screen. She was somewhat suprised at that, she didn't know he knew how to type just yet, when she had given him that old thing.

"What does this say? Oh...my..."

'Dear Mommy,

I miss you. Please, come see me and sis. Where are you?
Nanny says you're working.

I wish you'd come see us. We miss you.
My glasses broke to other day. Skeeter stomped them.

Shes mean sometimes. She teases me. She still loves me, but I am her bro. So, she fights me lots.

We really miss you mommy. Please come back.

Luv, Scooter.

Nancy's had tears in her eyes, after she read it. "Even then...he missed her. Jerry had told me, they wouldn't remember her...."

She closed the laptop, then she glanced at Skeeter's gym mat, and their shoes. She saw Scooters old striped shirt, and Skeeters green one.

Closing her eyes, a few tears slid down her cheeks. She felt horrible for what she did. It tore her heart apart.

"I could have brought them to her....no one would have known...." She whispered to the empty room, tears choking her old voice.

The only response was the old baby mobile, which was turning slowly above the vacant crib...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
*stunned silence*
I mean that in a good way, this chapter took my breath away! It was so touching, the scene with Nancy in the attic. I love the connection to MB and you did it in a way that makes sense! This is great!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Thank you! I love MB, but I was hesitant how to write this. I also included a few small references to other stories too. :smile:

Yeah, I could see the old nursery, it's unused and everything. I'm curious myself as to how I'll end up describing her. XD You'll probably get Chapter Five in a little bit today. :big_grin:

Glad you love it!!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Five

Disclaimer: Um, I don't know what possessed me to write this...but...yeah. I hope ya'll enjoy it.

-------------------

Takashi was sitting in his office, fuming. He glared at the muppet across from him. His hands were clasped together on his desk, a lit cigarette in his clamped mouth. An ashtray full of cigarette stubs and ash sat beside his laptop.

"....You can't let her see them."

The muppet squirmed a bit, he was wondering what Takashi could do. He stayed silent.

"Grosse? What do you say to that? Answer ME!" With that, he slammed both fists on the desk, sending the ashtray flying. It landed on Jerry's head. He shook it off, covered in the cigarette stench now.

"...I'll send Scooter away again."

"He's almost 20 now. He'll object. He'll stay with his friends."

"I'll convice Kermit to send him away, then!! That boy listens to that frog unquestioningly."

"That frog has a stronger will then that nephew of yours. How will do you this, Grosse?"

Jerry sat in the chair, slowly wiping the ashes away from himself, his mind racking wildly at what he could do.

"Why must we keep them apart, Eli?" He didn't want it either, but it confused him still.

"Money." Eli Takashi said simply.

"Money? What about it??" Jerry was not a nice man, but Eli...he was positively the most evil, and cruel man he had ever met in his life.

He put Doc Hopper to shame, he thought.

"They'll find out, Jerry. They could sue us."

"I don't think Sadie would go that far..." Jerry's mouth was shut tightly by Eli's hand suddenly. Eli walked around behind Jerry, he placed a heavy hand on J.P.'s shoulder.

"Jerry, my dear friend. Who gave you a loan, for that crummy theatre?"

Jerry sighed, he knew he still had to pay Takashi back. "You did, Eli. But what does Scooter and Sadie play in this??"

"That boy....he can't know the truth."

"But why, Eli!? It won't kill him!! He's been through hard times, this is nothing to what that boys' been through!!!" Jerry remembered when the twins were born.

Takashi suddenly wasn't speaking about money anymore. It struck Grosse to his very soul, when he realized just what Takashi was speaking of...

"He dosn't remember, Jerry. It would kill the poor boy's heart, if he knew what his mother had done..." He took a softer tone to his voice, it sounded like he was almost pleading with him now.

"Sadie did nothing to harm him."

He grabbed a chair, and he sat down beside J.P. He had both hands on his thighs now, leaning in towards him. As he smiled, Jerry could feel himself getting nervous.

"But...she did do something to him. Ever wonder why the poor boy was so...sickly, when he was a child?"

Jerry stood up, going towards the door. He didn't wish to talk anymore to Takashi.

"Jerry, he must know." Takashi stayed seated, while Jerry left the room. Takashi smiled evilly, he knew what Jerry knew, but wouldn't speak about.

"That boy will be joining an old friend of mine soon, if he dosn't watch out."

Takashi stood up out the chair, and he looked at an old picture on his desk. It was of him and an couple of old friends.

"...Richard....the poor man..."

He picked up the old picture, smiling at it, Then he threw it into the trash, laughing softly as he started to type up a review for the paper, wondering just what Jerry was going to go and do.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Six

Everyone piled into the theatre, after the long, hard day helping Jim at the coffee shop. Piggy went straight to her dressing room, she was quite a sight.

"Did you serve the coffee, or take a bath in it, Piggy?" Clifford remarked, seeing the usually beautiful pig so bedraggled. She had coffee grounds in her hair, and a straw was sticking out of it. Her gloves were stained with dark coffee, and her dress and apron was soaking wet.

"Humph!" She snorted, walking towards her dressing room. "They made me make the coffee all DAY!"

Kermit, Fozzie and Scooter walked in behind Piggy. Fozzie went ahead up to the front seats, just to sit and read his joke book quietly, he was a little tired. Kermit went and sat on the stage, waiting for everyone else to settle down.

"Okay, we got some great publicity with the fundraising drive today!" Kermit announced happily to all the muppets, that would listen.

"How much did we make, Kermit?" Rizzo asked, munching on an apple.

"Well, we didn't make anything, actually. I said we got publicity, not money."

"Oh." Rizzo went back to eating the apple, talking with Gonzo about the latest postcard he got from his family.

Kermit said a few more things, about the Winter show, and who was going to do what. Scooter, didn't really seem to be listening. He walked back to Kermit's desk, and found his clipboard. He sat down, and flipped through it.

"We've got insurance, water, heating bills to pay. Ooh, we need to go ahead and get the light bill paid. Oh..yeah." He stood up and poked his head outside the backstage.

"Clifford!! You get that light fixed just yet!?"

Clifford stood up, so Scooter could hear him clearly. "Naw, man! It just keeps breaking!! I'm tired of fixing that danged light!!"

Scooter sighed. "We'll get someone out here then to look at it."

Kermit looked back at Scooter. "We can't afford that, Scooter. That's only half of the bills in your clipboard!!"

Scooter's eyes widened, looking at what was in his hands, then he groaned, sitting back down. "Alright, Boss! I guess we'll have to make do then.."

Clifford went back up the ladder, to check on that light again. While Piggy, Kermit, and the most of the rest went home.

Except for Scooter. He was double checking the paperwork, filing everything back approiately. He made sure Chef cleaned up the cafeteria, which he was prone not to do. Within the hour, it was only him and Clifford still inside the theatre.

Clifford walked back towards the right wing, into the backstage area. He saw Scooter asleep in the records room. His computer was on, and the boy was snoring. He walked over to Scooter, and shook his shoulder.

"Come on man, it's nearly 11pm. We both need to get home."

Scooter opened his eyes, looking over at Clifford, he laughed softly. "Yeah. I guess I got to wrapped in what I was doing."

"Uh-huh. Oh, I finally got that stupid light to work."

"That's great! Let's see it before we leave."

"Alright." Clifford walked over to the light panel, and he switched it on. The light shone brightly against the otherwise dark stage. It stayed on....for a moment. Then a loud pop was heard, darkness filled the stage.

In the darkness, Scooter could see Clifford dancing around in anger. He was furious at what just happened.

"AW MAN! That light ain't NEVER gonna work!!"

Scooter laughed, as he picked up his jacket, starting for the door. "Better luck next time, eh, Cliffy?

"Man, I told you not to call me that."

"Well, then. Don't call me 'Scoot'."

"But that's your name."

"Scoot-er is my name. Not 'Scoot.' Alright?"

"Alright. Whatever man. Let's just get back to the house."

As Scooter walked towards the door, Clifford had noticed something, while they talked. Scooter was looking a bit pale, and more tired then usual. He shook it off, figuring maybe he was just was in front of that computer too much lately.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Oohkay...whoever's reading this, I'm gonna back off a bit. I've re-read what I've written and I'm...at a bit of a block now.

If you got the references, you might realize what I'm talking about here. It's kind of a delicate subject, myself being a huge fan of Richard's characters and such.

My mind is saying stop, backtrack and rewrite it.

But my heart is saying, go on, you'll make it all better.

Guys, I'm honestly asking ya'll.

Is it going okay? Although it's a delicate subject, am I treading into too deep of waters here? Or is it kosher to keep going as it is??

(no pun/offense intended, TA.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa... Three chapters to go through...
Chapter 4 is one of the best scenes yet... Capturing that old nursery with all its memories, the message on Scooter's old computer...
Oh, and there's still one or two more Muppet Babies' files tucked away in that old attic... Remember, Robin the tadpole in his fishbowl? And the addition of Baby Bean Bunny in the later seasons? Course, Toddler or Little Janice's records and photos would be with her family since she just came to visit Bean at the nursery that one time.

Hortense had Piggy's file, that's a reference to Gorgon Heap's Johnny Rivers TMS outline.
Rizzo munching on an apple, from MTI?
Scooter going over the bills, from Summer in the Theater?
The nicknames for Clifford and Scooter, Skeeter's names for both of the men in her life, her brother and fictional boyfriend.

Chapter 6, a good portrayal of everybody back at the theater... That light'll never get fixed, don't you feel Clifford's gonna pull a Don Music one of these stories?
Chapter 5... Oh man, the shivers.

Looking forward to more goodness from your fingers Renee.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
...Count. I must thank you immensely. Just that made me feel a whole lot better at how this storys going.

Thanks. ((((HUGS)))) --> The Count.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
The Count said:
Whoa... Three chapters to go through...
Chapter 4 is one of the best scenes yet... Capturing that old nursery with all its memories, the message on Scooter's old computer...
Oh, and there's still one or two more Muppet Babies' files tucked away in that old attic... Remember, Robin the tadpole in his fishbowl? And the addition of Baby Bean Bunny in the later seasons? Course, Toddler or Little Janice's records and photos would be with her family since she just came to visit Bean at the nursery that one time.
Well, actually in my mind I figured 2 different things:

1) Robin never had a file. He was simply a visitor a few days every now and again. So, Jimmy or Leaper just told Nanny was she needed to know for those few days.
These "files" as you're reffering too, is like, baby clothes, toys, shoes, and about what the children are like. Personal information, what they like, don't like, eat, etc.

2) If Robin did have a file/box, Kermit took it back with him when he got his box. And I would guess either Jimmy or Leaper (sorry for taking TA's characters, but I just can't figure out anything better then what's shes done!) has it.

Ed said:
Hortense had Piggy's file, that's a reference to Gorgon Heap's Johnny Rivers TMS outline.
Rizzo munching on an apple, from MTI?
Scooter going over the bills, from Summer in the Theater?
The nicknames for Clifford and Scooter, Skeeter's names for both of the men in her life, her brother and fictional boyfriend.
Well, yes. But I'd never actually read it!! I read a post by Gorgon Heap in the fanfiction advise thread. It sounded so nice of a name, I just used that in it. I mean, when I saw he had named her "Hortense" it was..."YES. That sounds just like Miss Piggy's Mom!"

At first I was thinking MCC, but MTI works as well too.

Scooter with the bills. Direct connection to Summer in the Theater!

Never thought of it consiously, but yeah, I guess so. :big_grin:

Count said:
Chapter 6, a good portrayal of everybody back at the theater... That light'll never get fixed, don't you feel Clifford's gonna pull a Don Music one of these stories?
Chapter 5... Oh man, the shivers.

Looking forward to more goodness from your fingers Renee.
Yeah, I loved those moments, I fit it in, hopefully perfectly. I just decided to let Clifford have a tantrum over it. XD

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Seven

As Clifford and Scooter walked along the street, in the inky night, it was quiet between the two men. Scooter was a step behind Clifford, thinking about the day eariler at Jim's place.

'That woman looked so familiar...' He remembered tallying up her order for her.

----------

"That'll be thirty dollars, mam!" He had told her, holding out the recipt for her. Jim walked over and tapped Scooter on the shoulder.

"I'll take care of it Scooter, why don't you go help her with it?" He asked Scooter, gently. Scooter had nodded his head, walking outside with the woman.

He saw the large amount of coffee bags and filters he had to take out.

"This is a lot of coffee, isn't it mam?" Scooter had asked her, while he got the last of the small bags inside her car.

"Yeah, it's for the entire newsroom. They always tell me to do everything in there." She smiled at him, her mind seemed to be away, Scooter thought, in deep thought for a few moments.

He laughed a little bit, "Yeah. I don't normally work here, but down at the theatre. I'm the resident go-fer." He had gently shut the trunk, and leaned against it for a second. He remembered he had a ticket for the next show. He decided to give it to her.

He handed it to her, smiling widely. "It's for our next show! Why don't you come, it'll be great! Oh, and my names Scooter, by the way! Glad to meet you, Mam!"

The lady thanked him. And with that, the lady had gotten into her car and then drove away. She never told him her name. He had no name to connect to her...

-------------

Clifford looked at Scooter, who had stopped walking right in the middle of the sidewalk. He tilted his head, watching him. He didn't see him move an inch, until he walked over and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Yo...Scooter? You okay?" Clifford took his sunglasses off, and looked at the gofer closely.

Scooter starting walking again, smiling. He didn't want to tell Clifford what he was remembering. Deep in his mind he remembered her...but he couldn't figure out from where. During all the movies, and all the shows, he's seen many people....but she stuck in his mind. He wondered if he was in love...or merely going mad.

-------------

Kermit was sitting on the couch, waiting for both Clifford and Scooter to come back from the theatre. The door opened, and Kermit sat up somemore, watching. He smiled as he saw the two come inside.

"Did anything go wrong guys?"

"No, Boss, everything was fine. I just finished filing everything, and Clifford was trying to fix the light again."

"Did it work, Clifford?"

Clifford just grumbled something, walking up the stairs. He looked a bit angry again. All Kermit could hear him say was "...blasted light...blew up again!"

"Blew up again?" Kermit looked questioningly at Scooter. Scooter just smirked.

"It popped again, I think the bulb might've broken."

"Oh. Maybe we should pay someone to come and fix it..." Kermit let his sentence trail off, as he saw how pale Scooter was.

"Scooter, are you okay? You look sick. You should go ahead to bed." Kermit lifted Robin up from beside him gently, the little frog had wanted to stay awake for the two to come back.

"Yeah, I probably should, Kermit." He noticed Robin in Kermit's arms. "He tried to stay up, huh?"

"Yes...he was worried about you two. You normally don't stay that late, Scooter."

"I...I fell asleep in front of the computer, Kermit." Scooter looked to the side, he's normally not so inattentive as he felt just then.

Kermit looked back at Scooter, and he smiled. "We all probably just need some more rest, that's all." He went up the stairs, and laid Robin down in his room, then went to bed himself. A few minutes later Scooter followed.

He was quite happy to see there was no line for the bathroom.

He went inside, and well, used it. Then he looked at himself in the bathroom's mirror. His normally bright orange face, it was indeed paler. The only time he'd seen himself look this pale, was when he stayed awake for nearly a whole week, for college finals. He shook his head, turning the light off, and going towards his bedroom.

"Maybe...maybe I should go see a doctor about this..." He went into his bedroom, and closed the door, going to bed.