Family Heritage!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Maybe it's because everyone at some point just wants to know "where they came from", but I've been fascinated with my family's heritage and stuff like that. Recently I was given a book that traces my father's mother's lineage all the way back to 1692! It's so cool and I've began the task of trying to learn more. How about you?

How far back can you trace your family's roots?
Like I said, my grandmother's blood line has been traced all the way back to the late 1600's, but the interesting thing is that I may not truly be a Hulteen. You see, my great grandfather was an orphan (his parents supposedly died in a Fjord accident) so my last name was most likely given to him by his adoptive parents and we have no way of knowing what his real last name was. Freaky, right? Other then that, it seems that on my mother's side, I only know as far as my great grandparents there as well.

Is there or has there been anyone famous in your family?
My wife claims that she is a decedent of the Viking Leif Erickson, and my best friend claims bloodlines to the real life Ichibod Crane. Neither of these claims can be substantiated though. My cousin Cheryl plays Winifred on the soap opera "All My Children", and my grandfather on my mother's side was President Roosevelt's head operation's officer and one of the founding fathers of the CIA who also helped put the huge antenna on top of the Chrysler building in New York. Other then a completely unverified and most likely completely false claim that I possibly have ties to General George Custer, that's about it. If you want to make outrageous claims, just be clear that you're not exactly sure how you are related to someone.

Do you have a family crest/Coat of Arms?
My grandfather had an heraldic artist create our family crest in 1977, but it really doesn't have any historic significance. As far as I can tell, this "heraldic artist" simply took the spelling of our name (which as I said is most likely not even my family's real name) and used a book to tie stuff together and then had a dot matrix computer crank out a poor rendition of our supposed family crest. Years later, I would take that image and with a little research of my own, I recreated it.

So I'd love to hear your stories, I'm really fascinated with other people's blood lines too!

Skye

Reaction score
I'm with ya, Vic!

I have always found family heritages absolutely fascinating. Very unfortunately, I haven't been able to trace mine.... yet. But I really hope to have the opportunity to do lots more research in the coming years.

It's so cool reading about yours. And what an awesome recreation of your family crest! I look forward to reading other peoples' stories, as well!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol, my parents used to be so into family heritages and things like that all the time! Come to think of it, that's how I learned I'm mainly of Scotch/Irish descent with a small dose of Native American, and Japanese.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Oh, I am all over this..... I mean.... I don't mean to brag or nuthin.....:wink:

Ok, so my paternal grandmother was VERY interested in heritage, bloodlines, etc., and supposedly mapped out a huge family tree (I remember her working on it, but I have never seen it). In anycase, I can trace my bloodlines pretty far back (the mid-1700's, I think) on that side of the family. According to my grandmother, Queen Victoria of England had a first cousin who was a criminal (I don't know what sort of crime), and for whatever reason he went to Scotland, and married my great-great-great (whatever) grandmother. I am also (supposedly) related to the Kennedys through this side of the family, but I am currently unable to prove that.

There is also a rumor about famous ancestry in my mother's side of the family. I'm pretty apt to believe this for two reasons: one, there is a family resemblance, and two, this man had many many children. It also explains the wild, redneck, partying streak that runs through that side of the family. Yeah.... Ben Franklin. What a guy.....

In other words, I'm practically royalty in both England and the US.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I wish.
Sadly, I'm adopted...so I won't ever find out. XP
I tried...no use. XP
LOL!

But all your histories are amazing! :big_grin:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I wish.
Sadly, I'm adopted...so I won't ever find out. XP
I tried...no use. XP
LOL!

But all your histories are amazing! :big_grin:
Well, actually, you COULD find out about your maternal side of the family if you were willing to fork down about a hundred bucks. Doncha just love National Geographic?

furryredmonster

Reaction score
I know nothing of my family heritage, and I'd only be able to trace it to my grandparents, most likely. =(

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Well, here's mine:

On my mother's side: Irish, English (maybe), Austrian, Hungarian (pretty much all over Hapsburg turf), Russian, Ukrainian.

On my father's side: German, Swiss.

My maternal great-great grandfather in County Antrim was a draftsman for Harland and Wolff...and he helped work on blueprints for the Titanic.

Skye

Reaction score
My maternal great-great grandfather in County Antrim was a draftsman for Harland and Wolff...and he helped work on blueprints for the Titanic.
That is awesome, Erin! I'm fascinated by that ship and everything that happened with it.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Yeah...when I was a kid, I thought it was so cool, knowing the Titanic was part of my family history.

But, things didn't work out so rosy: after the ship sank and everyone at the shipyard got sacked (and besides, it was tough being Catholic in that part of Belfast in those days), he moved the family to the U.S., settled in New Jersey. His daughter Elizabeth was my mom's paternal grandmother.

Let's see...from my eastern European ancestors, I get my temperamental nature, from central Europe I inherited my physical build (unfortunately; there've got to be a few Swiss milkmaids somewhere in the gene pool), and my stubborn streak comes from just about everywhere. But my wicked sense of humor and singing voice both came from Ireland.