1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Exhibit - Jim Henson's Fantastic World

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by zns, Aug 28, 2007.

1. zns Active Member

"Henson 's Fantastic World" Any Updates Yet?

I haven't heard anything on this subject in quite a while and I just wasn't sure if anyone has heard anything yet about the Smithsonian's traveling exhibit "Jim Henson's Fantastic World". If anyone knows anything or has any updates, please let me know. Thanx :)

MOD'S NOTE: UPDATE
  2. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

All the tour spots are pretty much confirmed besides one of them:

09/07/07 - 11/25/07: Arkansas Arts Center (Little Rock, AR)
    12/15/07 - 03/09/08: Arizona Museum for Youth (Mesa, AZ)
    03/29/08 - 06/22/08: Louisiana Art and Science Museum (Baton Rouge, LA)
    07/12/08 - 10/05/08: International Gallery, Smithsonian Institution (Washington DC)
    10/25/08 - 01/18/09: Atlanta History Center (Atlanta, GA)
    02/07/09 - 05/03/09: Orange County Regional History Center (Orlando, FL)
    05/23/09 - 08/16/09: The Speed Art Museum (Louisville, KY)
    09/05/09 - 11/29/09: James A. Michener Art Museum (Doylestown, PA)
    12/19/09 - 03/14/10: Mississippi Museum of Art (Jackson, MS)
    04/03/10 - 06/27/10: Nation Heritage Museum (Lexington, MA)
    07/17/10 - 10/10/10: unannounced
    10/30/10 - 1/23/11: Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago, IL)

Road trip to Little Rock! :zany:
  3. zns Active Member

Sounds good. I'll probably see it in either Washington D.C. or Doylstown PA since they are the closest to where I live.
  4. MGov New Member

I don't think I'll wait 3 1/2 years for it to show up at the Museum of Science and Industry. Maybe I'll make the 650 mile drive to Little Rock this fall.
  5. Fozzie Bear Moderator

It's coming to Little Rock next weekend, so I'll be going to see it!

I'm headed down Saturday to the Jim Henson Museum in Leland, MS.

I'm getting my Henson-fanatacism going on lately! WOOT!
  6. zns Active Member

That sounds good Fozzie. Could you bring back some photos for all of us? That would be so cool.
  7. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Usually, these kinds of exhibits won't allow you to take photos. I did take a TON of photos (while doing the Kermit World Tour) at the Jim Henson museum in Leland, MS, so I'll show some of those.
  8. zns Active Member

Well, the first spot opened in Arkansas yesterday. Did anyone get a chance to see it?
  9. Fozzie Bear Moderator

I hope to go see it soon. It's only a few hours from me (if that much). It's running through November, so I have 'some' time--but, time flies.

Anyway, maybe before the end of the month I can get out there.
  10. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

No photos at all? Usually they don't want you using flash photography. It's very hard to monitor photography at events today. With the cell phone cams, etc. Believe me, people have pics of everything nowadays...
  11. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Hmmm...you're right. I'll ask them when I get there if I can take pictures with the flash off.

Now, had I had the MR Kermit in town a week later, I could have taken him to Leland on Saturday and Little Rock on Sunday and REALLY had a Henson overload! Woo-wee! Wouldn't that have been awesome?

Direct link, BTW:
    http://www.arkarts.com/calendar_events/event-detail.asp?id=63
  12. No photos allowed, unfortunately (so said the sign at the entrance).

It's quite an exhibition. There are numerous character design/inspiration sketches on display, screens showing early clips (including excerpts from Sam and Friends, commercials, and Time Piece), storyboards, Dark Crystal props, and fourteen actual Muppets behind the glass cases. I spent two, maybe two and a half hours in there (leaving me with only a half-hour to see the rest of the museum). Definitely worth the six dollars' admission. Even worth the gasoline I had to buy to get there.
  13. zns Active Member

Which Muppets did they have on display?
  14. Dates are for the building of that particular copy of the character:

Kermit, 1970s
    Goshposh and Featherstone, 1968
    Wilkins and Wontkins, 1979
    Rowlf, 1976
    Sir Linit (the personification of "a spray fabric finisher", built for commercials for that product)
    Mahna Mahna, 1992
    Two Snowths, 1969
    Bert and Ernie, 1970s-80s
    Gobo, 1982 (mid-season and later version)
    Cantus, 1982
  15. Fozzie Bear Moderator

I'm going next week.

Somethingofafan, if you're in Little Rock, care to go again next Saturday? I am planning to come out there then. Maybe some of my friends are coming, too.

Anyway, did they have any type of an exhibit program available? Anything else Henson-related to buy in the Museum shop?
  16. Well, Little Rock is a bit too long of a drive to drive two weeks in a row for the same thing (after all, my screen name is "something" of a fan, not "obsessed stalker" of a fan). Seriously, it is well worth seeing, though.

I didn't see the store, but there was a brochure available at the beginning of the exhibit.

The fact that Muppets Studio/Holding Company, the Jim Henson Company, and Sesame Workshop all pitched in is, in my opinion, a big part of the exhibit's success.
  17. TotallySpiesFan New Member

Kermit, 1955
    Goshposh and Featherstone, 1965
    Wilkins and Wontkins, 1957
    Rowlf, 1962
    Sir Linit (the personification of "a spray fabric finisher", built for commercials for that product), 1966
    Mahna Mahna, 1969
    Two Snowths, 1969
    Bert and Ernie, 1969
    Gobo, 1983 (mid-season and later version)
    Cantus, 1983
  18. The dates I gave were for that copy of the character, not necessarily the original.
  19. Fozzie Bear Moderator

I agree that all three companies coming together for one cause like that is a great thing. Anyway, I hoped you lived closer.

So:
    If anyone lives near there I may be going this Saturday, it's at least 95% likely. I'm going again on oct. 20th so other friends can go. It's about 2.5 or 3 hours drive from Memphis, I think.
  20. RKUNKLER New Member