Ernie vs. Kermit - Could YOU tell the difference?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'll say this: The way I learned to do Kermit's voice to begin with I was yawning while copying something Ernie said, and that's how I got it. When you yawn, your tongue moves in your mouth and throat different than normal, and it produces a different sound, which took my Ernie voice up to Kermit...or down to Kermit.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
They do sound really similar, but I can usually tell them apart. Especially when they're laughing! :wink:
Erin

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think Ernie is a bit higher than Kermit, except for the early stuff. So, I can tell Jim's Ernie from Jim's Kermit. When Steve does Ernie and Kermit, though, they sound pretty much the same. Kermit sounds more like Ernie than Kermit when Steve does it. I must say that Steve does a near perfect Ernie and I find it hard to tell his Ernie from Jim's.

I'd actually like to see the role of Kermit be assigned to someone else who can do an imitation of Jim's Kermit, not only in voice, but in energy level too. Of course that would kind of be a slap in the face of Steve who has been doing a great job. Maybe Steve could try to bring Kermit's energy level down to normal and maybe bring the voice down in pitch a little. Kermit just seems hyper since he had to take over.

wockawocka

Reaction score
Well yeah, it would be hard to tell them apart. But just after a little while, I'd be able to tell, just by the things they say. Their voices are VERY similar, so you have to use what they say and their personalities as the differences. You'd usually hear Ernie laugh within seconds or minutes of him talking anyway. And then... I hope you can tell the difference.

WiGgY

Reaction score
wockawocka said:
You'd usually hear Ernie laugh within seconds or minutes of him talking anyway. And then... I hope you can tell the difference.
Not if you are watching Muppets Take Manhattan. In the hospital scene, Kermit laughs exactly like Ernie, though his voice is more like a cross between Link and Kermit.

I'd just like to take this time to say Jim Henson was a genious and can never be replaced. I don't know why a feeling hit me that caused me to say this, but whenever I see a muppet production he was invloved in, it feels right.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i read these lyrics to Do De Rubber Duck, and it said it was ernie who sang that "flippers and ur toes" part

WiGgY

Reaction score
Nope, that part was done my Kermit, and when I hear that song, I can tell them apart.