Ernie and Bert on Conan

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Just for the record, I didn't mean to cause such discord with this thread. I personally am not a fan of Ernie and Bert "gay humor." First of all, it's usually too easy and overdone to be funny. Second, they're asexual children's show puppets. Why do we need to project any kind of sexuality on them at all? Most importantly, though, I think it does a real disservice to gay people, because what this humor is really making fun of is "gayness" in general. It tells us that it's okay and funny to ridicule people for being different. I doubt Ernie and Bert would approve.

That being said, though, I thought that this particular skit was so authentic-feeling that I was laughing despite myself. I just wanted to mention it in case people missed it or wanted to talk about it, but I wasn't trying to get people arguing with each other.

My bad...

:eek:

Convincing John

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I think people also forget that Jim Henson based Bert and Ernie on Bert and Ernie (Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver) from It's A Wonderful Life, (one of Henson's favorite films) in which they were best friends and almost always hanging out together.

No no, you see, that's just a myth...MYTH! MYTH! :smile: (Yeth?)

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/help/faq/muppets.shtml#9

Convincing John

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
My apologies,

My Mom maintains she read that it in fact was true in an old interview with Jim Henson. However, she does not remember what interview it was. Therefore, I can not provide hard and fast proof of it. It may or may not be true, though I'd like to think it is. Probably is a myth, however.

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Anyone managed to track down a clip of this appearance of Bert and Ernie yet?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
My apologies,

My Mom maintains she read that it in fact was true in an old interview with Jim Henson. However, she does not remember what interview it was. Therefore, I can not provide hard and fast proof of it. It may or may not be true, though I'd like to think it is. Probably is a myth, however.
ok now i understand. i apologize. i honestly thought that you were just well you know what i mean sorry.