Ernie and Bert on Conan

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Apologies if there's already a thread on this--I couldn't find one. Anyway, did anyone see the brief appearance of Ernie and Bert on Conan O'Brien last night? He was doing a segment on how the media tends to exhibit political bias, and he showed a clip from PBS on a "controversial" topic. Naturally it was a clip of Bert and Ernie with the humor revolving around the easy "gay" joke. I don't typically find that too funny, but what was really clever about this skit was that it was actually a clip of the two from the "I Dance Myself to Sleep" number, and they had rewritten the song to be about how George Bush is against gay marriage. The lyrics were funny, and they dubbed over the characters with pretty good impersonators. So it looked and sounded like it really came from Sesame Street. Anyway, just wanted to pass it on, in case any of you would be interested. Look for it in repeats on the episode with Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany, and "Drive By Truckers."

:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
If you ask me, Bert and Ernie need to get a girlfriend. Either that or Henson need to at last reveal the truth about Bert and Ernie's sexuality. Even a girl room-mate would be good. But I feel so sorry for them! When the cameras are off I bet they get some stick from the rest of the Muppets!

Poor guys!!!

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Apologies if there's already a thread on this--I couldn't find one. Anyway, did anyone see the brief appearance of Ernie and Bert on Conan O'Brien last night? (
Yeah, I saw this last night too and it was HILARIOUS. You're right too that this was a couple steps above the usual "Bert and Ernie are gay" jokes. As usual, a great job by the show's writers and editors.

Does Comedy Central still show the reruns a couple days later? If so, that might be a good place to check this out for those who missed it.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I don't think Comedy Central carries the reruns anymore, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen them in the listings recently.

ceecee

Reaction score
Man! I'm so bummed I missed this! I'm always in bed by 10.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
TuttertheMouse said:
If you ask me, Bert and Ernie need to get a girlfriend. Either that or Henson need to at last reveal the truth about Bert and Ernie's sexuality. Even a girl room-mate would be good. But I feel so sorry for them! When the cameras are off I bet they get some stick from the rest of the Muppets!

Poor guys!!!
oh knock it off! there's nothing wrong with them the way they are!

McFraggle

Reaction score
It doesn't appear it is on Comedy Central anymore. :sympathy:

FraggleRocks

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie

TuttertheMouse said:
I totally agree with you mikebennidict. come off it already. just leave them alone. do you automatically have to be gay if you happen to be rooming with someone of the same sex and don't have a significant other? plus the fact that sesame street is mostly for kids, when i was watching it (during a more innocent time apparently) i had no idea that sex even existed. :embarrassed:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I think people also forget that Jim Henson based Bert and Ernie on Bert and Ernie (Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver) from It's A Wonderful Life, (one of Henson's favorite films) in which they were best friends and almost always hanging out together. All the gay jokes strike me as hilarious, seeing as they have no truth in them at all, and that it's simply people being ignorant of why Bert and Ernie are the way they are.

homerthegreat

Reaction score
Bert & Ernie are cool. There's no need for this. That's why I was mad at the offensive Family Guy reference.