Entertainment Weekly: Pet Project

grail

Reaction score
actually, that sounds pretty spiffy. kinda like Art Bell from the other side. i like it! and knowing that, i agree that it may just escape from comparisson.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke-

That does sound like a good idea. Even better since you explained it. It really is too bad about Greg. I just caught an episode last night and it was actually kind of sweet (in a Simpsons sort of way). There was much potential in that show, but I suspect Fox may have actually nixed it because they got the "real thing" when they signed the Muppets and the team behing Austin Powers. Who knows. I just hope ALF makes it. Talk is a hard biz, but it has a pretty different hook!

Luke

Reaction score
Jamie :-

Yup, i agree that Greg had potential but i'm not so sure America was ready for it just yet - it was too different to really build up a big audience. I get that here in the UK - Broadcasters want to stick with tried and tested formats because the public are used to them, and there is less money around nowdays to take any kind of 'risk'. Of course that makes for pretty boring TV if all you have is non-stop reality and quiz shows.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke

I'd have to admit to being unhappy with all the reality and quiz show programming here (some of it UK inspired - LOL). I feel the networks are making it impossible to latch onto anything enduring and many people are turning to HBO and SHO for their no-rules hip shows like Six Feet Under, Queer as Folk and Sex in the City. You just can't escape the bland network programming here but we are fortunate to have these alternatives.

I just worry about what will happen when people tire of the junk-food shows. Will audiences go back to networks? They have been losing money in recent years. Or will they go even further and have Jerry Springer-esque programming in prime time. It's time for some new ideas for networks. I could use some new quality dramas. Maybe they'll make a fifth Law & Order series. The original is still my favorite show, but how far can they ride that show? It's all just so insane now. I wonder what ALF (the ultimate couch potato) would say about it.:smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Re: Luke

Originally posted by frogboy4
...They bash anything that wasn't 2 minutes ago. This- from a magazine that has put Sarah Michelle Gellar on the cover how many times? LOL
You dissing Sarah now, Frog?

LOL :stick_out_tongue:

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Luke

I'd have to admit to being unhappy with all the reality and quiz show programming here (some of it UK inspired - LOL).

I just worry about what will happen when people tire of the junk-food shows. Will audiences go back to networks? They have been losing money in recent years. Or will they go even further and have Jerry Springer-esque programming in prime time. It's time for some new ideas for networks

I wonder what ALF (the ultimate couch potato) would say about it.:smile:
I totally agree - though ALF is a fan of shows where accordian players play poker in German costumes so better not let the ALF'er take over the networks.

Basically the UK echoes the states (although we have been leading for the last year or so but that's changing again now) and the idea is that the audience won't tire because the key is 'Event Television' - they want the schedules to have regular events each quarter that just repeat and repeat - so you have Survivor one quarter, American Idol the next, Big Brother the next etc etc, and it all repeats forever in a nice, safe manner. Boring i know !!

I think there are also plenty of shows in development where they are going to take things to Jerry Springer style extremes. A therapist here in the UK is about to do a reality counselling show where drug addicts and alcaholics are given the choice live on air of accepting live counselling and facing upto their problems, or their family cutting them off forever as of that moment. They are gonna get a couple of minutes to think about it, and people see all their past revealed on TV - i think thats pretty extrememe.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>It really is too bad about Greg. I just caught an episode last night and it was actually kind of sweet (in a Simpsons sort of way). There was much potential in that show, but I suspect Fox may have actually nixed it because they got the "real thing" when they signed the Muppets and the team behing Austin Powers<<<

Greg should have been nixed on the pilot shoot. I tried to bear watching another episode(I guess its cancelled but theyre desperate so they show it on new rerun night) and just couldnt help but cringe. There is zero illusion...these look like cheap thrift store sock puppets...there is no care given to them at all, and the full bodied puppets look like they broke free of Chuck E Cheese.
Heck, one of their characters is a bad satire of the Count, and theres not even a laugh track! I'm just kind of sad it lasted for a few weeks...as it might take awhile to air that out.

Luke

Reaction score
Cory,

Just to explain ONE more time. It's all supposed to look cheap - thats the whole part of the concept. Geesh !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify

There was no dis intended toward Sarah Michelle Gellar, I'm sure she's a nice girl and she has a popular show. I just find it odd that she has been on so many EW covers. LOL :smile:
No harm...now resume your normal lives.

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Just to clarify

There was no dis intended toward Sarah Michelle Gellar, I'm sure she's a nice girl and she has a popular show. I just find it odd that she has been on so many EW covers. LOL :smile:
No harm...now resume your normal lives.
Yeah, lol - it's amazing they think she shifts so many of their magazines !