EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In an unbelievable turn of events, word broke early this morning that the Henson kids have bought back the company they sold to EM.TV in February 2000.

The Jim Henson Company ownership rights are returning home to the rightful family that founded the entertainment empire. Reportedly, they paid only $89 million for the Muppets and Creature Shop ($78 million in cash and $11 million in JHC's current liquid assets).

Here's the story, many more will follow the next couple days.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2003/050703.shtml

We will continue to keep you informed as this historic story develops throughout the week.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil,

Fantastic news !

Who saw this coming ?

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy !

:big_grin: :stick_out_tongue: :smile: :sleep::wink:

rowlf84

Reaction score
Whoo-hoo! This is fantastic! Truly a wonderful turn of events!

muppet_dk

Reaction score
This is just the best thing that could happen. :excited:

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
This is WONDERFUL news !!!

The Henson Company is finally coming back home to US soil.

Michael Eisner must have yanked the ears off THE MOUSE when he heard the news :smile:

I deep down was hoping it would have been Sesame Workshop who walked away with the Henson Company.

Could you think of all the possibilities via TV,movies and merchandise if Sesame Workshop was the one who ended up purchasing the Henson Company.

Heck, Palisades prob would have gotten the license to do the Sesame Characters if Sesame bought Henson :wink:

For starters, I could see and envison a "New Muppet Show" with both the classic Muppets from the original show and the Sesame Muppets. All those characters that Sesame felt that did not sit right with children (ie..Don Music,Lefty) would fit in fine on the "New Muppet Show"

This is just one thing that could have been done. I look foward to hearing what others have to say.

Its just good to see the Henson Company back in the hands of Jim's children.

Hopefully this will lead to bigger and better things to come !!!

Michael

jeffy

Reaction score
Congratulations and kudos to the Henson family, the company, and the Muppets! I am glad this is finally over.

However, I am nervous about what this means for the future of the Muppets. Where's the marketing and production muscle going to come from? Disney, although I have different reservations about them, have exactly that muscle.

I'll grant you that I've no real business or entertainment industry knowledge, but haven't we all just spent the last 13 years watching the Muppets wither on the vine, significantly because off the lack of coherent leadership provided by the Henson family?

Aren't they now in exactly the position they were just before they sold themselves to a certain German behemoth conglomerate? So how are we now better off?

With mixed emotionally yours,

:smile: :frown: :embarrassed: :excited: :concern:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yes! I freaked out when I saw this announcement! This is excellent news!

Finally, the Henson company is in the hands of someone we can trust it with!

:smile: :excited: :zany: :flirt: :halo:

Sideroad

Reaction score
Don't know why but this just makes me feel good. I think this could be a new age of muppety goodness.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
In an unbelievable turn of events, word broke early this morning that the Henson kids have bought back the company they sold to EM.TV in February 2000.

The Jim Henson Company ownership rights are returning home to the rightful family that founded the entertainment empire. Reportedly, they paid only $89 million for the Muppets and Creature Shop ($78 million in cash and $11 million in JHC's current liquid assets).
Unbelieveble is definately the right word. Looks like this sale was the definate wake up call for the Henson kids... and if Disney jinxes this... THE MOUSE WILL PAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh ohhhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
:frown: :mad: :eek: :attitude: :cry: