1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, May 7, 2003.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

In an unbelievable turn of events, word broke early this morning that the Henson kids have bought back the company they sold to EM.TV in February 2000.

The Jim Henson Company ownership rights are returning home to the rightful family that founded the entertainment empire. Reportedly, they paid only $89 million for the Muppets and Creature Shop ($78 million in cash and $11 million in JHC's current liquid assets).

Here's the story, many more will follow the next couple days.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2003/050703.shtml

We will continue to keep you informed as this historic story develops throughout the week.
  2. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Phil,

Fantastic news !

Who saw this coming ?

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy !

:D :p :) :sleep:;)
  3. rowlf84

rowlf84 New Member

Whoo-hoo! This is fantastic! Truly a wonderful turn of events!
  4. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

This is just the best thing that could happen. :excited:
  5. MuppetFan123

MuppetFan123 Member

This is WONDERFUL news !!!

The Henson Company is finally coming back home to US soil.

Michael Eisner must have yanked the ears off THE MOUSE when he heard the news :)

I deep down was hoping it would have been Sesame Workshop who walked away with the Henson Company.

Could you think of all the possibilities via TV,movies and merchandise if Sesame Workshop was the one who ended up purchasing the Henson Company.

Heck, Palisades prob would have gotten the license to do the Sesame Characters if Sesame bought Henson ;)

For starters, I could see and envison a "New Muppet Show" with both the classic Muppets from the original show and the Sesame Muppets. All those characters that Sesame felt that did not sit right with children (ie..Don Music,Lefty) would fit in fine on the "New Muppet Show"

This is just one thing that could have been done. I look foward to hearing what others have to say.

Its just good to see the Henson Company back in the hands of Jim's children.

Hopefully this will lead to bigger and better things to come !!!

Michael
  6. jeffy

jeffy New Member

Congratulations and kudos to the Henson family, the company, and the Muppets! I am glad this is finally over.

However, I am nervous about what this means for the future of the Muppets. Where's the marketing and production muscle going to come from? Disney, although I have different reservations about them, have exactly that muscle.

I'll grant you that I've no real business or entertainment industry knowledge, but haven't we all just spent the last 13 years watching the Muppets wither on the vine, significantly because off the lack of coherent leadership provided by the Henson family?

Aren't they now in exactly the position they were just before they sold themselves to a certain German behemoth conglomerate? So how are we now better off?

With mixed emotionally yours,

:) :( :o :excited: :concern:
  7. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Yes! I freaked out when I saw this announcement! This is excellent news!

Finally, the Henson company is in the hands of someone we can trust it with!

:) :excited: :zany: :flirt: :halo:
  8. Sideroad

Sideroad New Member

Don't know why but this just makes me feel good. I think this could be a new age of muppety goodness.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Unbelieveble is definately the right word. Looks like this sale was the definate wake up call for the Henson kids... and if Disney jinxes this... THE MOUSE WILL PAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!
  10. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Member

Ahhhhhhh ohhhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    :( :mad: :eek: :attitude: :cry:
  11. Deadwall

Deadwall New Member

Wow!

I am absolutely stunned! Way to go Henson Kids!

In my opinion, it's better to have a group of people that own the muppets who really care about the muppets, more so than a group of people who see the muppets more as a marketing "toy" or just another way to make money. As we know, the Henson Kids care about the legacy of their father and what their father stood for.

Yes, the "muscle" that Disney has would have been nice, but recently there has been a Muppet Explosion! The made for TV Muppet Christmas movie got great ratings... the toys are selling well... marketing deals with Nascar and more... etc... this should allow the Henson Kids to propell themselves into some pretty sweet TV and merchandising deals.

Please, oh, Please bring the muppets back to TV!!!!!!!!!!!

-deadwall:)
  12. Chad Kermit

Chad Kermit New Member

I wish them the best of luck and hope they will have the ability to go forward with a varitey of projects. They must have done a lot of soul searching over the past few years and didn't like the idea of coporate American draining every bit of life out of these characters. I know I didn't. I always wanted Kermit to be more than a Corporate logo and to remain in front of the camera. Here's to a green future.

Chad Kermit
  13. Cindy

Cindy Moderator Staff Member

*does happy dance* :)
  14. blueduck37

blueduck37 New Member

Wowee wow wow! :D

This is very good news.
  15. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

:eek: I can't believe it :excited: :)
  16. Benedict

Benedict New Member

Back where it belongs

Finally! The Muppets are back in the family where they belong. I hope this is the start of a renaissance for the Muppets, they're such powerful characters that could have so much more made of them, it's been a shame seeing so little of them the past few years.

There really should be a new series at some point, and there's so much old material that needs repeating. There's a whole generation of people that grew up on the Muppets who are going to be having kids themselves soon, and we're going to want them to grow up with the Muppets too.

Bring the Muppets back to TV anyway, even if it's only the old material, and if you're making new material, I'd certainly like to see a lot more of Pepe the King Prawn
  17. matleo

matleo Active Member

"look at us, here we are, right where we belong!! The curtain's up and the lights are broght and they're laying our old song!!! What better pplace could anyone be...casue you're here with me.....so everyone here we go let's start the show!!!!"

Wanna know somethign crazy??? At Carroll Spinney's booksigning last night someon asked about how the company dealt with the loss of Jim Henson and Carroll bascially gave a brief history of the last 13 years including the EMTV sale the sale of the SS characters to Sesame workshop, and ended it by saying "and the rest of the comany has just been absorbed by..someone else." As we were leaving the bookstore, I said to Jamie (Pezbalubah), "We're going ot hear something in the next week or so. ths has come to an end." Was NOT expecting it to be THIS soon or to be THIS news!!! I think we can all agree THIS is the best place for the Muppets to be!!!

--Matt
  18. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

What's wrong?
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm going to the one in Harvard Square tonight. I wonder if he's going to say anything about this.

I am on pins an needles, man!
  20. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Member

I just have ONE question b4 i leave....

Is there n e chance Disney could offer MORE Money to EM.TV or Henson now??!!:( :( :cry: