E-mail for Muppet Show DVD seasons 4 & 5

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can understand and support that to an extent, but while i think a lot of Disney's Muppet relaunch has been handled well, i do think that now they're overdoing it. They need to keep the momentum going...by putting the vast majority of their eggs in the 2011 basket, there's too much of a lull right now. As others have stated, it's just silly to wait til the movie for TMS S4 because they could get TMS S5 out at that time - or any other number of Muppet DVDs.

It just seems there's been all this wonderful hard work and careful planning done in the relaunch but now it's all grinded to a halt because they're taking too big a break from the spotlight before the Big Saturation. It needs to keep going, not start-stop, start-stop - we've seen THAT routine numerous times since 1989 and know how well that works by now.

So instead of TMS S4, what do we have? The Cat Cora internet cooking show. Not that it's not without its strengths but that doesn't even come close to where they need to be right now.

Exactly. There's a difference with being strategic and being overly cautious. This isn't strategic at all. Now, unless they really are hard pressed to put movie BTS or promos on the set as a bonus, or they're having a bugaboo with some greedyguts estate/song license owner there really is no other excuse for holding over something that was delayed 2 years for no particular reason yet another year. There is nothing us collectors hate more than unfinished sets or sets with 2+year long waits for further seasons. This isn't a toy line, a bunch of plushes, or any little gewgaw that would benefit from being released with movie merch... this is a season of a TV show that SHOULD have been finished by now.

We didn't see it in 2009 when we were supposed to because 2010 was "the Year of the Muppets". Now we're not going to see it until 2011 because that's when the movie comes out, and season 5 is held hostage for lord knows when and MT is in doubt. I don't see how that's going to help any push at all. Unlike FR, we are definitely going to get this movie, but as I said, since the movie didn't happen as fast as it was rumored, Hit dropped the license (they were only in it for the movie) and we got a rushed complete series set without a season 4 single release. That's a bad business practice. This seems like the same thing's happening here, though... again... we're getting the movie.

Really... I agree Cat Cora's Cooking show shouldn't be the only major thing we're getting this year. Filming the movie will take a decent chunk of time, leading to less projects and less virals. You want something to keep the push fluid. A DVD release of a TV series is the best way to get it all out. Sure, the market is flooded with bad cable shows and "was there really a demand?" cult hits with a very small cult, but the Muppet Show season sets were always a decent seller. Even cut up season 1.

Come on, Disney... you don't want to sour anyone's thoughts about the buyout again. You've come a long way since then.

zns

Reaction score
This is not only in reference to S4 TMS specifically, but the earlier comment that Disney's holding other stuff back for the movie push.

I can understand and support that to an extent, but while i think a lot of Disney's Muppet relaunch has been handled well, i do think that now they're overdoing it. They need to keep the momentum going...by putting the vast majority of their eggs in the 2011 basket, there's too much of a lull right now. As others have stated, it's just silly to wait til the movie for TMS S4 because they could get TMS S5 out at that time - or any other number of Muppet DVDs.

It just seems there's been all this wonderful hard work and careful planning done in the relaunch but now it's all grinded to a halt because they're taking too big a break from the spotlight before the Big Saturation. It needs to keep going, not start-stop, start-stop - we've seen THAT routine numerous times since 1989 and know how well that works by now.

So instead of TMS S4, what do we have? The Cat Cora internet cooking show. Not that it's not without its strengths but that doesn't even come close to where they need to be right now.

Plus, given that season five was the final episode of TMS, it would make more sense to want to aim for having that set ready to go for around Movie Time. Get S4 out now so fans are satisfied and they're kept in the spotlight. And that still allows a year for the next set so they're not too close together. With the release of S5, there can also be the hype and hooplah that comes with "all the TMS episodes now out on disc" and have a full series set released as well. (Normally i'm not a fan of a full series set having other extras that the devoted fans who bought the original individual sets missed out on but given how there's opportunity to correct some flaws with earlier sets, like trying to get the full season one episodes without the cuts or other should-have-been no-brainers like the entire set of original promos or the original J Prowse/C Stevens eps i would support these on a 120 episode box set)

I still am a supporter of Disney's handling of the Muppets overall (after really having to be won over) but this lull period is my first real major criticism and concern with their technique.
You always seem to know what to say D.W. I know Disney is doing their best right now, but hopefully all of this doesn't become too big for them to handle. As Brian Henson once said, it's all about careful planning and care. I believe that we will se the final two seasons out at some point, but it's all a matter of seeing what is going to happen.

JESSCLIFTON

Reaction score
For those Muppet Show lovers that have been collecting the DVD's of each
season, please see the below response I received from Walt Disney
World's marketing department in regards to the release dates for the
last 2 seasons (4 and 5).

..."Thank you for your e-mail regarding DVD release dates for the last two seasons of THE MUPPET SHOW. We appreciate your interest.

Unfortunately, there are no release dates scheduled for these titles at
this time. We will forward your comments to our marketing department to
take into consideration when planning future release schedules.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply
to this email. You may also contact us at 800 723-4763 (Canada: 888
877-2843), Monday 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST."

PLEASE call and let your VOICE BE HEARD! GIVE US THE LAST 2 SEASONS OF THE MUPPET SHOW ON DVD! :smile::embarrassed::wink:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Cool, I might hafta give 'em a call! :big_grin:

I had asked them the same questions a few weeks ago, and about Muppet Babies as well. Got the same response, but I forgot to talk about it here! Life get's in the way, am I right? :insatiable:

Would also like to see them complete their DuckTales and Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers season sets.

C'MON DISNEY HOME ENTERTAINMENT!
:smile:
Anthony

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is nothing short of ridiculous. Even if they are holding the last 2 seasons hostage for movie marketing reasons, not even having a rough estimate is disturbing. I would hate to see the last 2 seasons go the way of roughly everything else they released on DVD, half sssed, half releases of Disney Afternoon shows... half series here and there, incomplete the Ticks... Disney SERIOUSLY needs to think about outsourcing these releases to some other company. They clearly want nothing to do with the TV show on DVD market. And the worst part is, they have a big big relaunch they are dying to do, and we're still going to have to wait forever for them to want to sell DVD box sets that actually SOLD solidly. The 35 different shows about Cakes get better DVD release treatment. We shouldn't even have 1 show about cakes.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
The 35 different shows about Cakes get better DVD release treatment. We shouldn't even have 1 show about cakes.
Lol, oh my gosh that really had me laughing! :crazy: Did you know there's a new one coming out? Some sort of competition. DUMB!

I'm just really hopeful that they are waiting to release them a little closer to the film. Maybe Season 4 early summer 2011, and then Season 5 right before Christmas. Then The Muppet Babies when "The Muppets" is released on bluray/dvd.

Huh? Huh? :wink:

Or they could do us all a HUGE favor and release 'em RIGHT NOW! Along with the remaining Disney Afternoon toons, naturally!

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Maybe either ThePrawnCracker at The Muppet Mindset or Steve Swanson of The MuppetCast could at least try to get new interviews with Lyelle Brier so they can ask her why TMS Seasons 4 and 5 are taking longer than previously to get released on DVD (ie: confirm if they still have music copyrights to clear, etc.).

Hope Ryan and/or Steve will at least take this request into consideration, so we can all be able to relax and chill out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just really hopeful that they are waiting to release them a little closer to the film. Maybe Season 4 early summer 2011, and then Season 5 right before Christmas. Then The Muppet Babies when "The Muppets" is released on bluray/dvd.
Muppet Babies is a don't hold your breath situation. Other than the obvious rights snafu (I'm sure they could get Star Wars and Indie, as Disney has a relationship with Lucas, but you also have to remember Henson had a semipartnership with Columbia at the time), I think they want to move away from any of the side projects for the time being. We're just going to see Muppet Show related stuff for a while. With Pepe in there too. A Muppet Babies line of Toddler clothes and acessories should be considered... but as for now, I think focusing on The Muppets is enough.

Maybe either ThePrawnCracker at The Muppet Mindset or Steve Swanson of The MuppetCast could at least try to get new interviews with Lyelle Brier so they can ask her why TMS Seasons 4 and 5 are taking longer than previously to get released on DVD (ie: confirm if they still have music copyrights to clear, etc.).
I want someone... SOMEONE to get in touch with someone else. Not some sort of form letter. I'm sure if you asked Disney about bacon they'd say:
"Thank you for your e-mail regarding Bacon. We appreciate your interest.

Unfortunately, there are no release dates scheduled for these titles at
this time. We will forward your comments to our marketing department to
take into consideration when planning future release schedules.

Form letter.

Yet, I hope the message goes out. This isn't a case of "oh well, we released part of a series, and we had no plans for any others..." They announced a year ago that this was on it's way the next (being this) year. It's not like some title that should and could have vanished... they had plans drawn up to release it. I just wanna know what the exact hold up is, and if it's movie related.

Mupp

Reaction score
Today I contacted Disney.com asking them when season 4 of The Muppet Show will be released.

In the past I have always gotten some sort of response to questions I have had. It may not always be what I want to hear, but I do always get a response.