Double Standards, anyone?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The old saying goes to stay away from discussing politics and religion. Unfortunately over the last decade or so there's been such a climax of the two becoming so deeply intertwined - when really they shouldn't be. But as the USA has become a deeply divided country in politics, so too have religious differences followed the same path.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. I might as well add this, since I've been very angry about this for some time.

Wanna know WHY the country is decided? Because people actually listen to the Pat Robertsons, the Glen Becks, and Rush Limbaughs... all these people on the far far Neo-Con branch of the right. Fox Opinion (I refuse to call it news, plus news isn't why people watch) basically. And the sad thing is, no one ever stops to think about WHAT they're saying and why they say it, and what it's done to the country. I mean, how else would they goaded that much of the population to fight 2 wars at the same time without raising taxes to pay for it? There's a lot of political outspeaking that makes me cringe and vomit and shake my fist in rage at these people... but they have a right to act like that.

HOWEVER, if you so much as mock Fox News or (their pet project) The Tea Party, you're an EVIL Liberal brainwashing force pushing a political agenda... Marvel and Sesame Street had to force out apologies to these organizations, who claim that silencing any anti-government sentiment (sponsored BY a branch of government) is unconstitutional. So basically you can say nasty things about the O man, but anyone on the right is a sacred cow. A message pushed BY these organizations, ones that continue to support hate and fear to gain a political audience.

Now, the problem is, we can't silence them... and the only way to show dissatisfaction is for people to stop listening to them and make up their own decisions. Something that I have no faith that anyone would do. The way these Warmongering Hatemongerers in Christian's clothing use their twisting and warping of religious texts to scare and control their own people (something done by fascist dictators in a certain part of the world but with a different religion) is disgusting, and I would love to see other Christians get just as disgusted as I am.

That said... how come when a politician or religious figure says something nasty and intolerant, it's their job, but when the guy from Grey's Anatomy and Miss America says the same thing, they get fired? That's the real double standard to me. Both groups should be fired.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Now, Frogboy brought up Pat Robertson... PERFECT example. When the quake in Haiti happened, did he rush to help? No! He rushed to criticize and make up "Tales from the Crypt" stories about how they're satanists and got what they deserved. And that's the LEAST Christian thing to say and do. Fear and hate... fear and hate. It's easier to control people than to get them to do good of their own free will.
I have to agree that such actions are simply unacceptable. Does he even realize what he's saying? Especially considering that those who've died include Christians. Is he saying that those whom he should view as his brothers deserved death?

To promote God as such an evil character as to destroy good people is unacceptable. No wonder so many are turned off by the notion.

But, anyway, let's get something silly into this thread: :zany::zany::zany:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I've mentioned a hundred times before, this whole discussion is reminding me of a blog I did several years ago about how "overzealous" and hypocritical Christians have given the faith a bad name in recent years, and yes, that includes gay bashing and such.

We have no right to be judgemental of other people, and at the same time, we're supposed to love one another as we would love ourselves... that's something that seems to have gotten lost in translation over time, as Kelly pointed out, a lot of Christians are willing to wag their fingers at someone and label them a "dirty rotten sinner" for being gay, or killing someone, or having an extra marital affair, etc, rather than say, "God doesn't like what you've done, but He still loves you".

This past summer, there was a really big case here in Knoxville involving a group of four who kidnapped, assaulted, and raped a teenaged couple for thirteen hours before killing them and disposing of their bodies; the criminals had been tried, and people involved with the case (especially the families of the victims) were so upset that they didn't get the death penalty for what they had done. My aunt is a radio personality for our local Christian music station, and during this time, the station received a lot of calls from people who felt the criminals deserved to die for what they had done, but rather than agree with them, she told them to stop and try to look at the situation the way God would, and think about how should they waste their energy bearing these grudges against those who weren't put to death for what they've done? Things happen for a reason, and God has a reason for everything, even if we as humans don't understand what the reasons could be.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that such actions are simply unacceptable. Does he even realize what he's saying? Especially considering that those who've died include Christians. Is he saying that those whom he should view as his brothers deserved death?

To promote God as such an evil character as to destroy good people is unacceptable. No wonder so many are turned off by the notion.

But, anyway, let's get something silly into this thread: :zany::zany::zany:
Robertson is a particularly difficult example due to his organization's philanthropy. I have to hand him that, but isn't every church supposed to do that? I think that's the purpose. And no good deed cancels out the crazy toxic language he communicates on a daily basis. He has this great opportunity, but squanders it with religious piety. People forget, but he’s actually the one who brought about the phrase "televangelist" and the negative connotation to it. The thing is, there’s always time to change and be kinder to people. I hope he finds that someday within himself or his faith.

Keep in mind that he predicted many plagues would hit America with dates attached that never happened! It's almost amusing, but the world was supposed to end in October of 1982. He also predicted that Disney World's gay days were going to bring about deadly hurricanes into the park. It was already hurricane season, so that's not a stretch, but the storm missed Mickey and friends and wound up pummeling one of his East Coast homes.

Robertson also claimed that his brand of health products enabled him to leg press 2,000 pounds! He’s never backed down from that statement even though every bit of scientific evidence states that to be preposterous – even for Olympic grade athletes. The man’s a very bad representative, but not enough of his followers have called him out. He's the Christain rep that both liberal and conservative media call for a Christain take on current events! I almost thought that an internal mutiny would happen after his weird statement about Haiti, but that seems to have gone away. He’s bad public relations for his religion. However, for every one of him there are many more people I know in who are good representatives of that faith.

D'Snowth said:
We have no right to be judgemental of other people, and at the same time, we're supposed to love one another as we would love ourselves... that's something that seems to have gotten lost in translation over time, as Kelly pointed out, a lot of Christians are willing to wag their fingers at someone and label them a "dirty rotten sinner" for being gay, or killing someone, or having an extra marital affair, etc, rather than say, "God doesn't like what you've done, but He still loves you".
I get the sentiment behind what you’ve said and will take it as such, but I should note that most folk I know would still find offense at the statement. Most gays and gay Christians (they do exist more than one would think) don’t believe that “God doesn’t like what they’ve done” or that being gay is an action, choice or lifestyle and don’t like having that told to them in any context. It's nothing we haven’t heard before. The "hate the sin, love the siner" message is still a judgemental statement and that's still calls people a sinner when they might not agree with that no matter what scriptural roots thta message has.

There’s this belief by many Christians that non-believers (or those who believe, but differently) just haven’t heard things correctly and need to be informed in a better way, but that’s not the case. In fact, I’ve found the opposite to be true. There comes a point when people of faith need to live and let be, yet keep the door open for those who ask.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I realize that Jamie, and I apologize, but I was using that as an example of Christians who are quick to bash people who are seen as "committing sins".

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I realize that Jamie, and I apologize, but I was using that as an example of Christians who are quick to bash people who are seen as "committing sins".
I was just confused as to what was stated there. :smile:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Since when is religion an acceptable prejudice?

Lately, I've noticed alot of very hateful, disrespectful comments aimed towards religious people on this forum. These same kind of comments would not be tolerated were they made of races or a person's sexual orientation.

Please note, I'm not writing this to promote religion, or to condone the actions of anyone. I recognize the truth in some of what has been said, but when a person is not allowed to express himself as equally as anyone else, something has to be done. I hate an injustice, and hate to see such awful comments being left about anyone. I see that happening now, and call on all of you to please put an end to it.

Thank you. You may now begin muffining this thread.
I don't suppose anybody else here finds it ironic that this thread has turned into an opportunity for those that preach tolerance here to once again attack religion.