Don't Eat the Pictures--does anyone remember this?

JoMarch

Reaction score
Hello, All,

I think I remember a Sesame movie that was called Don't Eat the Pictures. I believe it was with the gang at a musuem and Big Bird and Snuffy were left there alone. Does anyone recall this? :confused: Jo

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh, yes, I have seen this, and so have many people on this forum. It was first broadcast (I think on PBS) in 1983, released on vido in 187 but currently isn't available on video or DVD. The full title is Don't Eat The Pictures: Sesame Street At The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

In this special, the gang went to the metropolitan museum of art. However, the museum closs before everybody got a chance to see everything. Big Bird was also supposed to meet Mr. Snuffleupagus at the museum but didn't see him. At the time that this special was broadcast, everybody thought that Mr. Snuffleupagus was just Big Birds imaginary friend (they would all see him for the first time in 1985) so they didn't think it was neccessary to go look for Snuffy.

However, Big Bird left his friends to find Mr. Snuffleupagus anyway. They all found out that Big Bird was missing and go searching for Big Bird, with several funny near misses.

Eventually, Big Bird finds Snuffy, and they also find an old egyption boy who had been at the museum for thousands of years because of a curse where he must remain a kid and his cat must remain invisible untill he can answer a duestion, "where does today meet yesterday?" Big Bird and Snuffy help the boy find the answer so that he can join his parents, who became stars in the sky when they died.

Meanwhile, everybody got lokced in the museum. There was a security guard in the museum, but nobody sees him and he is usually looking in another direction whenever they walk past him. There was also a sub-plot (or maybe it was more of a running gag) where Cookie Monster wanted to eat the pictures but there was a sign that said, "please do not eat the pictures".

The sesame street cast in this special included Big Bird, Mr. Snuffleupagus, Cookie Monster, Oscar The Grouch, Telly Monster, Grover, The Count, Ernie, Bert, Susan, Gordon, Maria, Bob, Linda, and Olivia, as well as several kids.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score

JoMarch

Reaction score
Thank you both! No one I knew remembered anything about this. Thanks!:excited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
JoMarch said:
Thank you both! No one I knew remembered anything about this. Thanks!:excited:
Do you know very many people who are big enough fans of Sesame Street, Jim Henson, or The Muppets to know/ remember this special? There are other Sesame Street specials that I think are probably more well-known to casual fans than this special. Specials like Christmas Eve On Sesame Street and Big Bird In China.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
This special is one of my favorite Sesame specials where not only does Big Bird go somewhere the fact that basically the whole cast goes is really great. One of my favorite parts are with the Cookie Angels those were really great.

Any sesame fan should buy this it is funny and has a brilliant premise it would've been nicer if it was longer but it is still great. I doubt they will put this on dvd by the fact that Snuffy was still invisible and the humans still did not believe in him therefore it was probablly not released with 'Big Bird in China' and 'Big Bird in Japan.'

Rosewood

Reaction score
I just saw it

I just recently purchased a whopping 18 used SS videos from Amazon.com, and this happened to be one of them. I can honestly say, after viewing it for the first time, that this is now one of my favorite SS videos. It was great! Not only did I get to see some old friends (such as Northern Callaway) who I had not seen in ages, but for once I was able to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show without having to worry about a certain little annoyance (who's name I won't go so far as to even mention) taking up half the screen time!:big_grin: