Don Music

SillyRed

Reaction score
:big_grin: Remember him? He is not currently on the show, but he was sooooooooooooooooooooooo, funny!! "I'll never get it, oh!!(slams head on piano)

ScottMonster

Reaction score
I do remember him. But like a lot of others, I wouldn't have remembered him only for his small profile in "Sesame Street Unpaved" (the book, not the TV show) under the "Whatever Happened To..." section where they explained the percisely his head banging antics that made him so notorious, was also the same reason he was discarded. Even comical, quasi-violence on Sesame Street is a no-no. Of course, this wasn't always the case.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice Beautiful Day avatar, ScottMonster!

ScottMonster

Reaction score
LOL!

Thanks!

I searched high and low for a good colour photo of Beautiful Day Monster to use as an avatar, and when I did I made a few alterations to it with PhotoShop. Of all the lesser known muppet characters, Beautiful Day is a favourite of mine because he's one of the few muppets along with Gladys The Cow, the "MahnaManha" guy, that (nameless?) tiger muppet -- and of course Kermit -- who was regularly seen on both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.:big_grin:

Thijs

Reaction score
I have never seen Don Music on television. maybe the `extreme violence' is the reason the dutch Sesamestreet never used his sketches.

By the way, I have never seen Beautiful Day or Mahnahmahnah on Sesame Street too.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Music was in the 1989 NBC special "Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting". It was likely the last time Richard performed Don Music.

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
I have never seen Don Music on television. maybe the `extreme violence' is the reason the dutch Sesamestreet never used his sketches.

By the way, I have never seen Beautiful Day or Mahnahmahnah on Sesame Street too.

Beautiful Day was on Sesame Street, at least in the early days. Though I only recall seeing him in the filler skits and not in street scenes. One such skit that really stands out in my memory is one where Kermit is sitting on a wall beside the letter 'B' and is demonstrating how its sounded out when along comes Beautiful Day who does his own demonstration by taking a huge breath and screaming "BBBBBBBBBBAHHHHHHHHHH!" in Kermit's face so strongly that it sends Kermit flying off the screen. Then Beautiful Day turns and looks right into the camera, takes another deep breath and does it again even louder and the camera does a slow fade out to end the scene only instead of fading to black, it fades to white and making him turn a sort of purplish colour, making him look even scarier as he fades out with the scene. Now that was a skit that probably scared the bejeepers out of a lot of kids, but for some reason didn't scare me at all. In fact I remeber thinking it was pretty cool at the time.

The Mahnamanha guy was on Sesame Street. In fact some other poster in another group said that "Mahnamanha" the song performed by this character, along with Kermit's classic "It's Not Easy Being Green"was originally performed on SS before the Muppet Show, though I myself don't know how true this is.

Oh and btw, while Don Music's self-inflicted punishment along with the famous "baker" skits created by Jim Henson along with the various other forms slapstick humour that characterised the shows earlier years may have been a tad crude, I'd hardly call it "extreme" violence. That's a judgement I reserve for movies like 'Rambo' and 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. I mean, AFAIK no one on SS have ever been shot at, blown up or killed in anyway. And with the possible exception of Bert, no one on SS was dismembered either.

:smile:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottMonster
Of all the lesser known muppet characters, Beautiful Day is a favourite of mine because he's one of the few muppets along with Gladys The Cow, the "MahnaManha" guy, that (nameless?) tiger muppet -- and of course Kermit -- who was regularly seen on both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.:big_grin:
when was Gladys on the muppet show?

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by SillyRed
:big_grin: Remember him? He is not currently on the show, but he was sooooooooooooooooooooooo, funny!! "I'll never get it, oh!!(slams head on piano)
He was performed by the late great Richard Hunt. I couldn't imagine who could realistically take over this character, even if they could duplicate the voice.

Happy New Year!

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by punkNpuppets
when was Gladys on the muppet show?

Several times. While I can't think of a specific episode or occasion right now, I know off the top of my head that she was a "peripheral" character on the Muppet Show -- meaning you'd see her in the background in any skit or musical number that had animals in it.